Rejuvenating plastic
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Icon7 Rejuvenating plastic

The front & rear bumpers and the black plastic strip just behind the rear door windows on my 505 are looking a bit tired and aged. Has anyone got any suggestions as to how to bring them back to a nice glossy black finish? A fellow AFer told me about a primer and paint that can be used on plastics to do this. I can't for the life of me remember what it was. I'm also a bit hesitant to paint over plastic. The spray it with Armor All approach doesn't seem to be a long term fix.

What have you blokes used to get your plastic back to that new showroom finish?

Cheers,

Matt.

Advertisement
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

If it's had any Armourall or silicones of any description on it, you'll have nightmare painting it anyway. They get what's know as 'fisheyes' which bleed out both of the plastic and from the joints regardless of how well you prepare it.
    I've found using siliconeoff or wax remover followed by a coat of a quality plastic preserver such as "Back to Black" is as good as you'll get.
    The siliconeoff will get rid of the oxidising and give you a good base to work to.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    If it's had any Armourall or silicones of any description on it, you'll have nightmare painting it anyway. They get what's know as 'fisheyes' which bleed out both of the plastic and from the joints regardless of how well you prepare it.
    I've found using siliconeoff or wax remover followed by a coat of a quality plastic preserver such as "Back to Black" is as good as you'll get.
    The siliconeoff will get rid of the oxidising and give you a good base to work to.

Alan S

I've found 'Back to black' (I think it's made by kitten) pretty good. You need to buff it a fair bit though, or else the rain can affect the finish. I got it from autobarn.
    Blood Orange 2006 Renault Megane Sport Cup
    Silver 1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    Green 1973 Alfa Romeo 105 GTV 2000

Icon7

Thanks fellas. I'm heading over to Albury shortly so I'll have a look in Autobarn/Super Cheap and see if they have any Back to Black and silicone remover.

Matt.

Has any brave soul tried black shoe polish overlayed with that kids scuff stuff, reputed to give good shine and should be fairly waterproof.

cheers ed ge

Quote Originally Posted by JAG80
    I've found 'Back to black' (I think it's made by kitten) pretty good. You need to buff it a fair bit though, or else the rain can affect the finish. I got it from autobarn.

That's the idea of removing the built up layers of oxidisation and previous polishes with the wax or siliscone remover prior to using the Back to black. It's made by "Mothers" these days I think.

Alan S

In the past I've used a product from AutoGlym that's specifically for cleaning up bumpers that have been stained from polish etc and are tired looking. I think it's called Bumper Care, not permenant but does a really good job, and can be bought from AutoBarn.

nlq206

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edgedweller
    Has any brave soul tried black shoe polish overlayed with that kids scuff stuff, reputed to give good shine and should be fairly waterproof.

cheers ed ge

i use shoe polish on tyres as it lasts longer than most other tyre products you can buy

it may not be as shiny as the other products but it will last up to 3 months depending on weather conditions
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

tyre black works a treat on the odd platicy black things.. just use a proper brush and do it evenly..

Fantastic stuff..

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    That's the idea of removing the built up layers of oxidisation and previous polishes with the wax or siliscone remover prior to using the Back to black. It's made by "Mothers" these days I think.

Alan S
    Yeah I might have to give that a go next time.
    Jonathan

Anyone had any luck rejuvenating the plastic on the 205, most 205's i've seen have very faded plastics on the outside, is there anything i can do about this or is it a lost battle already?

Quote Originally Posted by purrr-geot
    Anyone had any luck rejuvenating the plastic on the 205, most 205's i've seen have very faded plastics on the outside, is there anything i can do about this or is it a lost battle already?
    Asanka, just give it a crack. You'll be surprised how well they come up. If they're really bad you can get some bumper coat spray paint. I had to do that with my old car after someone applied too much Armourall (bumper was almost white) and it was like new, durable too.
    Jonathan

asanka, youve seen my plastic bits, ey?

they look alright huh? mate, i just use turtle wax tyre shine and apply with a sponge.

lasts for weeks.
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

daily ding magnet: '98 1.8 16v citroen xsara

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

Mothers make the 'back to black' now, or as well.

I use it on the wifes car and it works a treat. You will need to put a couple of coats on as it soaks into the bumpers.

The best way to apply it is to use a washing up spong.

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila. - Mitch Radcliffe

farmerdave

Second the vote for shoe polish- I used it today on the R25 (with acres of textured body moulding) and it looks a million dollars. Not glaringly shiny, lasts well and doesn't attract dust.
    -By shoe polish, I mean the old school paste wax type that comes in a can- applied with a shoe brush, naturally. And buffed with a rag, SIR!.

Farmerdave
    Last edited by farmerdave; 30th January 2005 at 09:03 PM.

Fellow Frogger! Alastair Browne's Avatar

I have recently painted the rear black plastic bumper on my Renault 15 and it has come up a treat. First of all I cleaned it up as much as possible with metho, then applied 3 undercoats of special plastic undercoat, then 6 (or was it 8? I lost count) topcoats of black. Looks mickey mouse now.

Alastair

1000+ Posts

Alan, where do you get 'siliconeoff'? I was actually thinking of doing this job today on the back bumper...

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    i use shoe polish on tyres as it lasts longer than most other tyre products you can buy

it may not be as shiny as the other products but it will last up to 3 months depending on weather conditions
    3 months!?!? Ok I'll definitely have to give it a try. I don't like tyres too shiny anyway, think it looks tacky.

btw this 'back to black' stuff is a myth in my books. I've had a annoying polish stain on some black plastic since I bought the car and cannot get rid of it no matter what. I've searched for this 'back to black' in autobarn, supercheap, repco etc and can't find it here. May have to try and order it online.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Icon7

Jastanis,

I bought a bottle of Mothers Back to Black yesterday from Super Cheap. It cost about $17. I can't say how good it is as I haven't used it yet, I'll probably do the job today.

Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    Alan, where do you get 'siliconeoff'? I was actually thinking of doing this job today on the back bumper...
    "Siliconeoff" is the trade name from 'ICI Dulux' but is usually bought from anywhere that sells automotive paint. It can also be bought as "Grease and wax remover" and if not obtainable, 'Prepsol' will also work.

Alan S

The paint primer you're referring to is "Penetrol" and can be found in the paint section of any decent hardware shop. Just paint it on and it gives a fantastic glossy black finish for months and months in all weather.
    Care factor = -273.15șC

Icon7

Well, I tried the Mothers Back in Black today on a spare front bumper that will replace my 505's existing one and all I can say it was bloody useless. I may as well have rubbed water into it. I ended up driving over to Super Cheap in Albury and getting a refund. The young bloke behind the counter (who didn't serve me when I bought it) said there have been a few returns of this product for the same reason I gave. Maybe this product is for newer bumpers in good condition?

I tried some Armor All Tyre Foam on the bumper and it brought it up well, spray lots on and rub it in well. Maybe that's the way to go.

Matt.

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph
    Well, I tried the Mothers Back in Black today on a spare front bumper that will replace my 505's existing one and all I can say it was bloody useless. I may as well have rubbed water into it.
    Must be differing types of plastics .. as "Back to Black" works real well on the 206's black bumpers.

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

I've found its good on the 505s bumpers. When you first put it on you have to give it a few coats.

At least you found something that works.

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila. - Mitch Radcliffe

AmourAll original protectant works the best i think. it is very glossy i used it on my very faded 505 and i noticed instant inprovment and after a few washs and aplications it is like as good maybe glossier then show room.

"Best Signature Ever Inserted Here"

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information