Moments of Madness & Youthful (?) exhuberance
  • Register
  • Help

Icon10 Moments of Madness & Youthful (?) exhuberance

....being a rainy saturday...I began reminising...
    Is it just me, or have all of us at some stage entertained some outrageous ideas on ways that we can improve our cars and against all better judgement and advice actually began to "tinker" , with some amusing results (or not so amusing, depending on whether you are listening to the story or living it! )

It began for me, with a Morrie Minor....mainly because dad wouldn't let me customise the A90 (I had read that sommernats had become a bit predictable, because everyone always does up the same sorts of cars...and I had a notion that no-one had done an A90 yet! and I could already see it with chrome everwhere, bug catcher, blower, whitewalled tyres... )

anyway...it began with the idea of a little more power...(logic would have said, upgrade from a morrie...but oh no, not I...) I discovered some factory built extractors which didn't clear the intake manifold...but I was told if I ground it out it would fit....oops! hole in manifold!....no probs, tig weld....fitted....sounds great! Car flies with grunt!
    .....a few months down the track....car running like a dog....take off head....split valve (actually peeled apart!)....replace with flat top oversize, grind grind grind....reweld manifold....consider twin SUs for clearance....buy MG twin SUs .....will have to adapt ports ....hmmm....consider change motor....surely a V8 would fit....(dad put his foot down at this stage!)
    ....ok, time to upgrade...went looking for faster car with heater & intermitant winscreen wipers. (I kid you not, this is what I asked for!)...bought fuego!

Advertisement

older & wiser now. ....I will not go overboard this time....although would love to try a turbo conversion....and maybe substitute Megane RS front suspension & brakes ...roll bar & ..... it still ain't out of my system!!
    Aus

PLEASE TELL ME I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE!!!!!
    Aus
    ".....the good health of a pond is held in a delicate balance. A pond's condition
    deteriorates when the bottom environment cannot support animal life.
    The bottom is the area that runs out of oxygen first, it is where the most oxygen is used........"

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX
    ....beginning to look a bit frightning isn't it.

Let's just say you're one of very few...

What sort of A90?

Icon5

Maybe an Atlantic?
    1986 Renault Fuego GTX
    1972 Mercedes Benz 280E
    1988 Nissan Trakka Campervan
    1972 VW Kombi

In business, words are words; explanations are explanations, promises are promises, but only performance is reality.
    Harold Ganeen.

Icon1 A90

Ray It's a Westminster.....and yes it's for sale....to anyone but me.
    (If anyone want's to get it for a good price here's a handy hint....don't mention customising!!! ) (Dad's a purist!! )
    Aus
    Aus
    ".....the good health of a pond is held in a delicate balance. A pond's condition
    deteriorates when the bottom environment cannot support animal life.
    The bottom is the area that runs out of oxygen first, it is where the most oxygen is used........"

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX
    ....beginning to look a bit frightning isn't it.

It will go lots better if he puts the 2930cc bottom end in it...

And the twin SUs (I have a set...), 3-speed and overdrive, 3.9 rear end, discs from the A110. Etc.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    Let's just say you're one of very few...

i was going to build up a 404 for the nats once

it was going to be a 504 but i found the 404 would be better suited to doing burnouts with the live axle

it was going to be gunmetal grey with pink bits under the bonnet complete with V6

needless to say i never got around to it but i am sure it would have been the first ever 404 at the nats

instead i put my efforts into helping others get their cars there
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

1000+ Posts

Default A90 Westminster

Contrary to what Australdi say, I am resigned to the fact that the Westminster will be sold to someone that wants the motor to rework for their Austin Healy! or special.

I originally bought the car some years ago. I had been told it was an Atlantic so was a bit disapointed when I found it was a Westminster!

Bought the car anyway with no thought of restoring it but as I drove it home (100 miles or so) I was intrigued at the way it ran. The old fellow that had owned it hadn't changed the plugs for years but it still sat on a steady 70 miles per hour as a "cruising speed" (you were then allowed to legally travel at that speed) and you felt quite regal sitting in the drivers seat looking down the impressive length of the bonnet and you knew it had plenty of speed available if you wished.

Decided to keep it as a "future restoration" though the bodywork on the nearside was a bit batterred owing to the previous owners habit of judging clearance by sound!

Had an opportunity to pick up a better bodied 4 cylinder model a few years later (for free) but my wife put her foot down "If another car comes into the back yard, I go!! Yes i did think about that? except that I know which side my bread is butterred and capitulated.

As the years pass, old age and new projects tell me that I will never do this restoration as its priority is well behind the other cars I have, so it will go, when someone makes a good offer and is prepared to move the other cars parked in front of it!!

I might even advertise it for sale/procrastinate a few more years

Ken.

Very few would want that engine for a Healey...

It's got the wrong conrods and it won't bore out as far as the 2912cc (not 2930cc... sorry) engine. And the A110 head is much better... even if they don't have a 12-port head.

All the same, they did cruise well, but the front shocks were a shocker.

Thread Information