Picking up my RSC 182...
  • Register
  • Help

Default Picking up my RSC 182...

Hi guys,
    I am finally getting my clio 182 with cup packs on sunday (yay!)... I decided on the silver colour after originally going for the black... easier to clean i suspect... Anyway, i was wondering if any of you guys could give me some tips about the whole picking up of the car process? This is the first car i have bought, so anything would help... ie, car mats, tyre foam, track day....

Advertisement

cheers guys, and great site!

Ta,
    Ali

Zen

Hey Ali,

Congrats on the purchase!

Before you sign the final hand over, take your time and go over the vehicle THOROUGHLY and see if there are any nicks, scratches (especially on the rims), paint defects, marked seats/interior fittings and alert them to the fact. You're paying for a brand spanking new car so the finish should be faultless. Don't let your excitement get the better of you in this process. As soon as you drive out of that showroom, you've got buckley's chance of having any of these fixed if you don't pick it up then and there. The deals been done so there isn't any chance of screwing the dealer down on extras, except maybe asking for a Renault keyring or something like that.

Rich

codito ergo sum == code monkey

'04 206 GTi 180
    '95 306 S16

1000+ Posts

yeah & take it out in the sun & inspect!!!

I didnt notice the buffer marks till a week after in teh sun!!!

moosey

Quote Originally Posted by Aloosh
    Hi guys,
    I am finally getting my clio 182 with cup packs on sunday (yay!)... I decided on the silver colour after originally going for the black... easier to clean i suspect... Anyway, i was wondering if any of you guys could give me some tips about the whole picking up of the car process? This is the first car i have bought, so anything would help... ie, car mats, tyre foam, track day....

cheers guys, and great site!

Ta,
    Ali
    ...and then bring it straight down to the Aussiefrogs BBQ at Lane Cove for us all to check out! Sun 30 Jan
    See the Social Events section for details...

Tadpole

theres a checklist on the cliosport.net forums but some of the items on it seem to only apply to the uk cars....

- paintwork (check each panel) and interior
    - reasonable klms on the clock for delivery (under 30 i guess?)
    - rego, warranty, manual, invoice, spare key, etc
    - cup suspension and anthracite wheels
    - cargo net for boot
    - 2 cans of tyre foam in leather pouch in boot
    - driver side auto window is one-touch (apparently its a dealer mod)
    - floor mats (meant to be included from the factory)
    - locking nuts for wheels (not sure if we get them here, cant hurt to ask)
    - full tank of fuel (again it cant hurt to ask....)

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by jester_fu
    If you want to apply a coat of polish, use it as a good chance to spend some quality time with your new car, and do it by hand using a good product (not turtle wax or any of that rubbish from BigW).
    DO NOT EVER "POLISH" THE CAR....

Use a Polymer Glaze such as Meguires NXT or even the cheap old "as advertised on TV" Nu-Finish works fine. Meguires also have some good waxes, but I'm not personally a wax fan...

A polish is a resurfacer and works by removing a minute layer of paint. It is basically a very fine abrasive. This was fine in the days of Acryilic paint when it was needed to rejuvinate the gloss levels but is not required nor recommended on todays paint finishes. Most polymer glazes will still remove surface impurities but will not take of paint...

New cars DO NOT require polish and theoretically should not require polish for the life of the car...

Don't forget to check the spare tyre!

Funny as it sounds I got a call from the Renault dealer 2 weeks after I picked up my Clio telling me that the spare tyre they gave me was the wrong one.

Fellow Frogger!

With all these worries don't miss the chance to enjoy it! Picking up a new car (well this kind of car anyway) is to be savoured and it doesn't happen often. I still remember 25 Sept '98 and walking over to my 106 gleaming blue in the afternoon sun ....
    unfrogged (for now)

Quote Originally Posted by jester_fu
    (not turtle wax or any of that rubbish from BigW).
    Have you been to Big W recently? You can get the full Meguiar's range there, including the new Meguiars NXT which is a very good sealant.

Will have to agree with what Jester has said re: polishes above. A new car could never go through it's life without mild cleaning and polishing. It's just impossible. My car is a year old and has pretty much had water marks etched into it's bonnet from new. There is NO WAY to get rid of those marks without a mild polish...yes this does mean I am cutting away a minute amount of the clear coat, but it's the only way to get rid of it.

Once your finish has been prepped well, then a good coat of NXT or the like will protect that perfect finish, but if anything gets through the sealant, you've damaged the clear coat again.

Things get through that wax/sealant.
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

1000+ Posts

Think it was a more general comment than specific...

the old days of "polishing every 6 months" is out the window...
    Continual surface clensing (clay & non-abrasive polish) with protection after is the go these days...

Go look at the "Car Care Products" thread NOW!!!
    and also try to find "Motomans break in instructions"...

There's your starting points
    Hope to see you on the road soon!

Administrator

I suppose the term "polish" is used rather openly these days...

I was thinking more down the lines of Nate's regime...

Of course everything that touches your paint is abrasive... but a 'polish' used to be a product that would intentionally remove a layer of oxidised paint to rejuvinate the shine...I think the term is a bit more general these days...

I cant say I've ever read the back of modern polishes, all I use is Nu-Finish once every 2 months and despite being a 'supermarket' product, it does a good job at a good price and is easy to apply and remove...There is no visible paint on the rag after removing it (but it must remove some) but it gets rid of watermarks and other impurities easily...

I have never had to "polish" my car in the old fashioned way and my car is 20 years old and it certainly doesn't have any paint problems...

moosey

Quote Originally Posted by 106 Rallye
    With all these worries don't miss the chance to enjoy it! Picking up a new car (well this kind of car anyway) is to be savoured and it doesn't happen often. I still remember 25 Sept '98 and walking over to my 106 gleaming blue in the afternoon sun ....
    Those 106 Rallye's were awesome cars. Always wanted one when I was there (UK). Couldn't afford it sadly. Had an E reg 205GTi 1.6. Not a bad compromise, I admit...

Thread Information