Buckled rims, where to fix in Sydney?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Buckled rims, where to fix in Sydney?

Here's a curly one.

Advertisement

I've got a set of buckled rims. They were buckled when I bought the car, but for some strange reason didn't make their presence felt until UFO and I took the rims off on the Citroen tech day a few months back. Before that, I really couldn't notice them when driving. After that, they'd start vibrating at around 80kmh. Very annoying on the trip to work which is mostly 80 kmh (Eastern Dist)

So I dropped them off at the local Bob Janes for a quote to repair. They said they had a guy that comes in and fixes all sorts of exotic wheels for them, Ferrari's and stuff (who takes their Ferrari to Bob Janes???)

He said he'd get a quote for my and fix my wheels pretty easily. He asked if they were off a Cordia too

The quote came back - $190. Each.

I didn't go ahead with it. I was gobsmacked. How can it cost that much?

So does anyone know who in Sydney can straighten these rims? I don't need the whole wheel refurbished, I just want them a bit straighter than they are.

As you can see from the below post there is a flat spot in the inner rim on either side. I'm not sure how it happened.....bizarre.

There's a mob called "Wheel Centre Repairs" who advertise alloy wheel repairs in "Australian Classic Cars" (welding up cracks, straightening wheels, building up material lost from the wheel and re-machining - that sort of thing). I haven't used them but they gave a competitive quote when I was shopping around to have the lips on my kerbed wheels machined (I eventually found a more local place that would do the same thing for the same price).

Might be worth a call?

8 Pioneer Ave Thornleigh
    9980 1125

If you don't mind explaining, how do you embed such a large image in your post?

Best of luck

Maurice

UFO

Brenno

I have one word to say:

MWUHAHAHAHAHAHA - my evil plan to implant bad thoughts into other people about their cars has worked ONCE AGAIN (more evil laughter....)

Seriously though, you may have noticed the vibrations more as the car would have been smoother in general since that Tech Day - I mean to have GREEN LHM not yellow, a couple of regassed spheres etc etc.

There is a company in Wollongong called Rebel Wheels who are very well regarded. Perhaps you could contact them. I don't know that the price would be any better though. I got a quote from a guy (not Rebel) some years ago to have a BX TRi wheel repaired and the quote then was $150, which included respraying the painted bits etc.

Then again a new wheel would cost a lot more.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

I had a problem a few years ago with this & was quoted about $60 a wheel. When I eventually decided I'd get it done, they had increased to $110 followed when I sent them in by a 'disclaimer' that there was no prices quoted, you had the job done on a take it or leave it basis. This was due to us going in Brisbane from 3 repairers to two to one in a few weeks.
    As it turned out, another option arose to replace them so I took it.
    From memory, didn't father Goose have a set of these though?
    I know when Brad went to test a set of tyres for the hillclimbs, that he also had a couple of buckled ones that were a bit wobbly, however, the guy at the Bob Janes place, keen for a sale, somehow managed to get them knocked back into shape while he waited.
    Brad had a set done for his GT-R after he wrapped it around the light pole at a reasonable price, for what the job was from another joint, but as it was an Insurance claim, nobody really gave a hoot about price. I'd suggest ringing a couple of these places that do compliancing on the grey imports as these seem to often arrive with the rims a bit second hand looking which is something the tyre kickers try to get rid of pronto; not good when trying to sell them with 65K klms on the clock and "one careful owner"

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Icon2

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    From memory, didn't father Goose have a set of these though?
    Alan S
    'Did' being operative, I bought them......

Brenno, I only needed one (I wanted an alloy spare) but they were sold as a set of four. Let me know if you're interested, I could be persuaded to part with one or two.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

G'day Macquered,

I had my white rims (all 4) reshaped and resprayed after a silly bastard forced me to run up a gutter back in Dec '03. Obviously it was his insurance paying, but I think it was around $150 a rim? This included paint also, so it may be cheaper again for your scenario.

Custom Painting & Wheel Repairs
    Unit 11/ 11 Romford Rd Kings Park NSW 2148
    ph: (02) 9621 3355*Wheels & Rims

There's also another company I came across in the Yellowpages...try them for a quote too if you like, same area as the above...

Virgin Wheel Repairs
    11/ 20 Valediction Rd
    Kings Park
    NSW, 2148
    Australia
    (02) 9679 9999

Good luck, let us know how it goes..
    ~Dave Power` [MY 4] :

"#PW33RR" --- > "PW33RR" 2009 Mazda6 MXR-CD, 2.2L Turbo Diesel - More torque than the last! Geesssuz[/COLOR] HOT
    "#ZEG01F" --- > 2006 VW Golf 2.0L TDI - The torque machine SOLD
    "MY 4" --------------- > 2002 Monaco Blue RenaultSport Clio MkII SOLD
    "XES11V" ---------- > 1999 Mitsubishi Mirage STOLEN

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

My father had a couple of bent R25 wheels like that about 10years ago. He just grabbed a block of wood, placed it against the dented rim and gave the wood a couple of smacks with the back of the wood splitter. Car didn't vibrate anymore after that and drove perfectly.

BTW: How did so many wheels get bent, did the previous owner run the tires at 15psi or something

My father had a blowout on the CX turbo not long after he had new aftermarket wheels fitted, being extremely lucky within seconds of the blowout there was a rock on the road he hit. Net result .... 1bent rim. I think it was about $60bux from memory to get the wheel rolled straight in Melbourne.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Apparently they will knock out OK but there's always a risk that they will crack in the process.
    The mobs doing them like to use the term "Rolled out" but from some of the ones I've seen, I get the impression that often the only rolling that goes on is when they "Roll out" the hammer and block of wood to belt the crapper out of them.
    This followed by a good buffing and nobody's the wiser.

Alan S
    Last edited by Alan S; 25th January 2005 at 11:30 AM. Reason: spullin

Quote Originally Posted by mbyok
    There's a mob called "Wheel Centre Repairs" who advertise alloy wheel repairs in "Australian Classic Cars" (welding up cracks, straightening wheels, building up material lost from the wheel and re-machining - that sort of thing). I haven't used them but they gave a competitive quote when I was shopping around to have the lips on my kerbed wheels machined (I eventually found a more local place that would do the same thing for the same price).

Might be worth a call?

8 Pioneer Ave Thornleigh
    9980 1125
    Aah! Thanks for that. I had heard of a mob in Thornleigh but didn't have any details.

Quote Originally Posted by mbyok
    If you don't mind explaining, how do you embed such a large image in your post?
    I host the image on my website and then insert it using [img] tags. If you hit the quote button on my post, it will reveal the code.

Craig: I think that is the mob that quoted me $190 per rim! The fellow at Bob Janes said he outsourced rim repair to someone 'down south'.

Alan: I thought he had a set of TRi alloys, which were 5.5 inch's wide instead of the 6 inches from the 16v.

Chris: Thanks for the offer. If I can't find anywhere to repair these rims I'll get in contact with you. Only two of the rims are buckled.

Dave: Thanks for the contacts. I searched in the Yellowpages but came up with zilch.

Shane: I really don't know. If it was just a knock on one side of the rims I'd think it was a gutter hit at speed, but the damage is on the other side of the wheel as well, and only on the inner rim. I'm struggling to think of a circumstance where this could have been caused.

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by macquered
    Alan: I thought he had a set of TRi alloys, which were 5.5 inch's wide instead of the 6 inches from the 16v.

Chris: Thanks for the offer. If I can't find anywhere to repair these rims I'll get in contact with you. Only two of the rims are buckled.

Shane: I really don't know. If it was just a knock on one side of the rims I'd think it was a gutter hit at speed, but the damage is on the other side of the wheel as well, and only on the inner rim. I'm struggling to think of a circumstance where this could have been caused.
    Brenno, The wheels I have are TRi, so maybe 5.5inch bugger, still good for a spare though.

Check to see if your car has had a shunt up the bum (he he I said bum) that's the only situation I can think of where the spare might get two flat spots???

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood

Check to see if your car has had a shunt up the bum (he he I said bum) that's the only situation I can think of where the spare might get two flat spots???

Cheers
    Chris

ahh, yes,

but would this car have a mag as a spare??

Mine had a few of these; I have a feeling that in their 'newer days' owners may have been a bit inclined to let junior run down to the shops in the car for a treat and wonder why it never felt the same again.

I had suspicions with mine that it may have been used at some time by one of the local toerags for a joyride job as I found a few things that indicated it may have been broken into. They had been fixed and fixed properly, but they had still been damaged at some stage. This one could have been a similar story.

Alan S

My car has the original spare, it is sort of a space saver thing with a very agricultural looking Michelin tyre (I think it is a 165) mounted. It looks like it has hardly been used.

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by macquered
    My car has the original spare, it is sort of a space saver thing with a very agricultural looking Michelin tyre (I think it is a 165) mounted. It looks like it has hardly been used.
    Sounds right Brenno, which is why I would like to carry a decent spare, not sure if the alloy will fit the spare wheel cage?? Might require a bit of re-engineering

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

mate of mine had a torana with globe aftermarket wheels on it that looked like original XU1 wheels and as we were heading down the h'way one rainy night he hit a brick sitting in the middle of the road

anyway it bent the wheel so far that it hit the brake caliper

we through the spare on and continued on to the tafe in the gong

when we got there we took the spare into the workshop and proceeded to belt it with a 4lb hammer

through it back on the car and drove home

that wheel never cracked nor was it out of balance or show any sign that it had been bent for a few years afterwards untill the car was stolen and the wheels taken from it

you just have to be careful not to crack them as the chance is always there

BTW we did it with the tyre in place and still with whatever air pressure it had in it if that makes any difference

the only evidence of the repair was a couple of hammer marks inside the wheel so when it came to identfying the wheels a few weeks after they were stolen on another car was pretty easy
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

con
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Alloy Wheel Repairs

Try the Magman at 2/21 Moxon Rd Punchbowl - ph.9707-2686.

I had a couple repaired about a year ago; the cost depends on the amount of work. Mine cost $70- for one and $100- for the other. (and both wheels were repainted).

con....

Thread Information