Rebuilding seats?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Rebuilding seats?

The time has come to rebuild the seats in the Renault 17 Gordini. The seats will need new foam as well as recovering.
    The problem I have is that some of the prices I have been quoted are scary. What is a fair price to pay?
    Also who would you recommend on the Gold Coast or the south side of Brisbane?

Advertisement

Thanks
    A Gordini is still a GORDINI!!!

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by R17G
    The time has come to rebuild the seats in the Renault 17 Gordini. The seats will need new foam as well as recovering.
    The problem I have is that some of the prices I have been quoted are scary. What is a fair price to pay?
    Also who would you recommend on the Gold Coast or the south side of Brisbane?

Thanks
    Are you getting quotes from auto trimmers only or have you tried some of the furniture repholsterers? Reason I ask is they might not be as scary in their pricing maybe. What are they quoting if you don't mind me asking?

I have seen a few pretty good seat reco done, $300 for 2 front seats in vynil.

I guess it may depend on the material / colour and construction of the seat.

I was talking to someone recently about vynil paint products (to paint vynil) he claims are pretty good.

Does anyone have experience with these?
    Is there much that can be done to rejuvenate sun faded fabric?
    Is it correct that you can get vynil welded?

David.
    Powered by high grade French plutonium.

Vivid,

I've used the vinyl paint, uht stuff ithink. it was about 10 bucks a can i think. I did two R12 seats which were green and did them in black to match the R10 interior. The vinyl on the back came up really good as did the cloth fronts but i went through heaps of paint on the cloth, soaked it up like a sponge!

its lasted ok, the cloth parts that get all the wear have certainly faded (18 months) and the vinyl backs have a few marks but it does get everything from surfboards to whipper snippers thrown in it so cant really complain..

maybe give it a fair few coats so its thick
    hope that helps

jensen

Quote Originally Posted by graham66
    Are you getting quotes from auto trimmers only or have you tried some of the furniture repholsterers? Reason I ask is they might not be as scary in their pricing maybe. What are they quoting if you don't mind me asking?
    $400-$500 per seat!

Craig
    In light of what Graham asked, there is an upholsterer up the road from me here. Would you like me to drop in on him and see what he says.

Cheers, Chris.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Thanks Chris, that would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by vivid
    I have seen a few pretty good seat reco done, $300 for 2 front seats in vynil.

I guess it may depend on the material / colour and construction of the seat.

I was talking to someone recently about vynil paint products (to paint vynil) he claims are pretty good.

Does anyone have experience with these?
    Is there much that can be done to rejuvenate sun faded fabric?
    Is it correct that you can get vynil welded?

David.
    The vinyl paint is very good- we did the brown vinyl in our refurbished VW Bus.
    You can see photos of seats at http://gillythevwbus.8k.com
    The headrests abd divider to rear was painted. IT is important to make sure vinyl is very clean. You need two coats on most.

Vinyl can also be welded.
    1986 Renault Fuego GTX
    1972 Mercedes Benz 280E
    1988 Nissan Trakka Campervan
    1972 VW Kombi

In business, words are words; explanations are explanations, promises are promises, but only performance is reality.
    Harold Ganeen.

Try Jobsons at 15 Pound Street, Yerongs.

Been there for years, we used to use them in the yard and I mentioned them to someone a year or so back & they reckoned they were still there, reasonable and good.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

my brother is a furniture upholsterer. but we are in melbourne, your on the gold coast.

im thinking he will come in real handy when i want to recover my seats in the Mi16, as the cloth has faded abit. maybe i could go some black leather! mmmmm leather.
    2013 Megane RS 265 Trophy

Quote Originally Posted by R17G
    Thanks Chris, that would be great.
    Okey dokey......
    I'll stop by there in the next day or so, on a school run or something.
    Chris.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Thanks Guys!

They've shifted!!

From the White pages.

"JOBSON'S AUTO UPHOLSTERERS

Motor Trimmers 14 Young St Annerley 4103
    (07) 3393 0934 "

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Hey Craig

Thoes prices sound about right. That’s what they told me when I went to get mine done.

So instead I settled on Fuego Seats.

However being in your shoes, it'd be much nicer to keep her original, and thoes prices suck.

On a positive note they'd look unreal and be bloody comfortable.
    1967 1135 R8 Gordini
    2012 BMW One Series M Coupe

Fellow Frogger! Alastair Browne's Avatar

Reno17

Do the Fuego seats fit a 17/15 exactly or did you have to modify them so you could still do up the seat belt and or the runners?

Alastair

I am not sure how they fit, but I also have to say that the fuegos have such comfortable seats that I saved 2 good-uns from the fuego I wrecked.

Round trip Melbourne - Ballarat - Melbourne no stopping... could have gone again without a stretch!