oops, diesel in the petrol tank...
  • Register
  • Help

Default oops, diesel in the petrol tank...

My friend who driving my R25 ran it out of fuel (really must get that guage fixed...) and took the 10 litre jerry can from the shed to put petrol in it. What I had forgot to do was get rid of the 2 litres of diesel it had in it. Thank goodness she filled it up with petrol before putting in the car. It started and ran "ok" when hot, but not happy when cold. Have told her to fill up to full with Optimax to offset the diesel. Its not nice to have diesel smell coming from the exaust of a petrol car....

Advertisement

Anyone know of any reason this will be bad for it? Seems to me it will just add a bit of extra upper cylinder lubrican for a while...
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

My Grandad once mothballed an old Humber because it was filled with diesel. He said it just stopped going, so he parked it. Not sure if that is just because he didnít like the car though. Someone I used to know at school did a similar thing as your 25, a few litres of diesel by mistake, that didnít do anything apart from blow a lot of smoke until the diesel was diluted with petrol enough. That old Corona went on to do a lot more long hard miles after that episode before being traded on a 327 Monaro.

yeah, it should be OK, especially diluted 70 to 2 98 RON petrol to diesel.

Reminds me of when I worked for the EPA - a guy filled his car up with diesel by mistake, and then drained a full 60 odd litres of deisel on the street (and into the stormwater drain) and filled up again with petrol. We fined him $1200 for that little act of stupidity
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

UFO

I here more and more examples of people using the wrong fuel. Recently heard of a diesel Pajero that copped a tank of ULP instead of diesel.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by UFO
    I here more and more examples of people using the wrong fuel. Recently heard of a diesel Pajero that copped a tank of ULP instead of diesel.
    Friend of mine did that with a patrol. Drain the tank dont start it. Diesel in petrol is not really a problem. My wife often had trouble getting the attendant to turn on the pump when she went to fill any of the cars with diesel (Mazda 929, 505 and 405) the attendant assuming it was another dizzy woman was trying to help I guess.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by UFO
    Diesel in a petrol tank is not so bad, but petrol in a diesel tank can do a lot of damage. I wouldn't make sure the tank gets drained and cleaned before you even tryed to start a diesel car that has had petrol in the tank.

As an example, we once had a diesel generator that had seized, the sure fire trick to fixing it was a dash of petrol in the tank. it kicked straight away

Putting petrol in a diesel engine will generally cause the engine to rev out until it either a) blows up, or b) runs out of fuel.

1000+ Posts

Yeah, i think the big prob is that Diesel has a really low RON rating...
    but nicely offset by the Premium!

mlb

I know for a fact that 2 stroke outboard motors don't run too flash on diesel. On my last ship we had continuous problems with its rescue boat, blowing smoke, running rough and stalling - often in the middle of a river with a monster tide running - until we found that someone had filled the jerrycans we were using with diesel. Didn't harm the engine though, just fouled it up a bit. It also made it hard to fond anyone willing to drive the thing for fear of a long row back.
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

Default I did it thanks to @#@!^^%ng Caltes labeling

Thanks to the stupid labeling on Caltex pumps with Vortex Premium anf Vortex Diesel I put 25 ltrs into a almost half full tank and drove about 30Km before I realised what I had done 654$$ later the car is back running time will tell if its no worse for wear.. not sure what it does to the FAP but we shall find out.

#[email protected]^^&ng Caltex will not change the markings on existing pumps but are doing so on new pumps as they are installed What does a new Decal cost especially with their profits

Still lack some power down low but City Peugeot say its OK

Cheers
    Meggsy
    Current - 4007HDi
    Had - 407 HDI 406 SV 404, 504, 505 GR and STI. 405 GR ( carbie version) STI, MI16
    And an Austin 1800
    Learnt to drive in 203 Convertible and a 403 SW

Tadpole

Me too! used to pull up at the diesel bowser in my little 306, & the dolly behind the counter used to kindly turn it off for me! took a while, but I got them trained after a couple of years.
    Froggy Family:
    Current:

'09 407 HDi - "Big Pugsley"
    '07 206 XR - "Baby Pugsley" belongs to the girl-child
    '11 C5 HDI - Number 3 for hubby!

Previous:
    First car - 1972 Renault 12 GL - "Reginald" Loved it to bits for 10 years.
    '99 306 XTDT - "Little Pugsley" - first Peugeot. SOLD Sadly missed - such a hoot to drive!
    '01 petrol C5 - even converted the husband!
    '05 C5 HDi - number 2 - belonged to hubby

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    My Grandad once mothballed an old Humber because it was filled with diesel.
    Funny -- eons ago, one of my first cars was a Humber Hawk with a big optional (apparently) barrel air cleaner. With the air cleaner absent, I took it into a servo in the days when you got service, and the service I got from the new guy when the dipstick showed low was a pint or two of oil straight into the carby ... or at least as much as it would take before it overflowed.

Sucked as much of it out as poss with a battery hygrometer, but you reckon it didn't lay down a smokescreen for the next 20 miles!!
    MY15 208GTi

previously:
    MY10 Sportium HDi6 and 1.6L auto
    MY99 206GTi
    MY96 306XSi auto
    MY02 Clio 1.4L auto

1ťre grenouille:
    MY5? Simca Aronde 90A

QUICK! MORE BREAD, MORE CIRCUSES!!

Thread Information