Everything old's new again??
  • Register
  • Help

Default Everything old's new again??

Anyone happen to see the pics from Detroit of the new Jeep 4x4 that has a separate (5.7L ) engine driving each axel??

Reminded me of a 2CV that I saw in a very old Motor Mag. I think it was some special Safari type edition for the desert or something. It had 2 totally separate drivelines for each axel. Even the petrol tanks were separate.

Advertisement

Anyone heard of it? I was going to post this one the Cit site, but just couldn't bring myself to do it!

cheers
    Stu
    2008 Grand Scenic
    2000 Xantia SX
    :2006 Disco 3
    :mercedes: 1992 300TE
    Previous
    1974 12GL
    1974 17TL
    1976 12GL Wagon
    1974 17TS
    1982 20TS
    1986 25GTX

Default 2CV in Paris Dakar 2005

Yeh Stu a twin engined model got into this years event but has not recieved much comment after day 2 where it got the novelty coverage segment. Two 660 cc engines from memory, seemed fairly handy on the sand. Privateer entry.
    Cheers- GavinS 25 GTX 1987 build 2165cc auto - TBR. Renault is properly pronounced "Rhen-oh."
    .......................................Nissan Skyline (daily driver)
    Seek the blindspot and unknown of The Johari Window.

The one I saw in Brisbane a few years back had the fuel filler in/through the drivers door - the fuel tank was under the drivers seat. It also had two gearboxes.

Could it be classed as a 4 cylinder car?

Chance.

Default Twin Engined Cars

Quote Originally Posted by Stu17
    Anyone happen to see the pics from Detroit of the new Jeep 4x4 that has a separate (5.7L ) engine driving each axel??

Reminded me of a 2CV that I saw in a very old Motor Mag. I think it was some special Safari type edition for the desert or something. It had 2 totally separate drivelines for each axel. Even the petrol tanks were separate.

Anyone heard of it? I was going to post this one the Cit site, but just couldn't bring myself to do it!

cheers

There was also a purpose built Hill Climb car made by Paul England (who had and may still have an engine reconditioning in West Melbourne, Victoria)

The details are hazy, but I think it had two Morris Cooper engines and gearboxes with the clutches, gear changes and throttles interlocked together.

It was around in mid/late sixties and was highly competitive

On a second separate note Bill Lord-Milne who had a Peugeot Dealership in Plunkett Road Dandenong Victoria w had a four wheel drive hill climb car with triumph herald diffs both as axles and tranfer case, a morris major gearbox and worked 403 Peugeot engine this was early 60's.

Do other members remember these cars ? They were in an era when enthusiasts built ther cars from scratch!

Don't see nearly as many home brew cars today

Paul England's last Ausca had a 2.2 VW engine in the back driving the rear wheels, a 1.8 in the front driving the front wheels and the supercharger that fed both engines.

The spare engine in the trailer was a 2-litre so it could go in either end.

He's retired now, but still owns the business, I believe...

1000+ Posts

There was a 4WD Moke produced by BMC for evaluation purposes for the military with a 1098cc in the rear, and a 998cc in the front.

Wasn't there a limited production 2 engined Mehari?

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

The 2CV Sahara was really something. the two engines could either be operated together or the linkages could be disconnected and driven off either motor. the fuel tank was under the front seat and the filler through a hole in the door as ther ewas nowhere else to fit it. Quite a few were sold in Switzerland of all places as they were good on ice.

There was also a twin engines MiniMoke prototype built for the British Army but they laughed at it and told them where to shove it. Of course that was after the knocked down quick-assemble plywood Moke for parachute dropping was presented to them. They did buy a few of those, fitted them with remote control and used them as tank target practice............
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

Originally posted by Stuey
    [b].....Wasn't there a limited production 2 engined Mehari?
    Either it went into production or a prototype was shown around the press...

I read about it somewhere, incredible device from the report I saw.

Of course, there's a downside to Meharis going to twin engines... no longer can you talk about 'both cylinders beating furiously'!

UFO

Wrap ya peepers around this Cit DS
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

I came across this just recently which reminded me of something else....

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    On a second separate note Bill Lord-Milne who had a Peugeot Dealership in Plunkett Road Dandenong Victoria had a four wheel drive hill climb car with triumph herald diffs both as axles and tranfer case, a morris major gearbox and worked 403 Peugeot engine this was early 60's.

Do other members remember these cars ? They were in an era when enthusiasts built their cars from scratch!

Whilst on the subject of Bill Lord-Milne, I recall being introduced to him at Monaco Autos in Plunkett Rd in about '67 or '68 and at that time he owned a Puegeot powered yellow Formula Libre open wheeler, which he raced at Sandown and elsewhere providing great entertainment. (Usually by spinning out whilst leading the field!) Does anyone know what happened to that particular car?
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    I came across this just recently which reminded me of something else....
    Whilst on the subject of Bill Lord-Milne, I recall being introduced to him at Monaco Autos in Plunkett Rd in about '67 or '68 and at that time he owned a Puegeot powered yellow Formula Libre open wheeler, which he raced at Sandown and elsewhere providing great entertainment. (Usually by spinning out whilst leading the field!) Does anyone know what happened to that particular car?
    Do other members remember these cars ? They were in an era when enthusiasts built their cars from scratch!

G'day,
    that's because in this f'n nanny state, anything that doesn't conform or fit the boxes is out the door. Just ask the RTA or it's equivalent, or the tax office, for a definite answer [in writing].

Would you like me to start on any other government department or Australian Post ?
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Icon6

G'day,
    now that you have me started,

when was the last time you saw a BMW frame [motorcycle] with a VW engine and megaphone exhausts. Around 1970 in Melbourne, went like the clappers and sounded fantastic.

Two Suzuki GT750 motorcycles with sidecars AND two wheel drive, EWX, built to cross Australia from East to west. What ever happened to them?
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Ahem! Suzuki GT750's still crossing Australia due to lack of spares somewhere in the Interior!

On the other hand, I do have a piccie somewhere of a '49 Mercury sand buster with dual wheels front and back , used on the Pine Plains property in the late sixties.....now where the hell is it again?
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Quote Originally Posted by pug206gti View Post
    G'day,
    now that you have me started,

Two Suzuki GT750 motorcycles with sidecars AND two wheel drive, EWX, built to cross Australia from East to west. What ever happened to them?
    One turned up 2-3 years ago, found & purchased in vic, I believe. Took a bit of research to work out what it was....

Yep, nothing new when it comes to twin engined cars. Type "twin engined cars" into your search engine and there are 100s of results!
    I remember reading about a dude who did it to an R5.
    Hatch back cars seem to be favoured choice.

This C2 has twin 3.0 V6 stuffed in it!

A VW Lupo in the process of being transformed.

The 2CV that you guys were talking about.

Now a Jeep with twin 5.7 V8s, I'd like a go of that!
    Cheers Renomad

"Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!

JBN

A couple of brothers in Wollongong during the 1960's made a twin engine/gearbox Mini Cooper S (I guess it should be called an SS in that case). Went blindingly quick up Mount Ousley.

The 2CV Sahara dates from the 1950's. A novelty with no space in the boot and fuel tanks under the front seats. A more practical solution was the mating of the fronts of two 2CVs cut and welded along the B pillar. A car with twin engines and steering wheels and twin "fronts", though only one engine was used at a time. It was used by a French fire brigade in a town with notoriously narrow streets. Being unable to turn a vehicle around, the crew would relocate to the other end of the car and drive it in the opposite direction.

Better solutions for 4WD 2CVs can be found on Louis Barbours site at www.2cv4X4.com . Historical information on the 2CV Sahara can be found on the late Jerome Cats site www.cats-citroen.net

John

Fellow Frogger!

no?

Looks like Swift and Shift!
    Wouldn't a turbo or supercharger have been easier?

Looks like plenty of grunt there. How does she handle?
    There is a solution to every problem. There is a problem with every solution.
    • Renault R4L '63 - Descartes
    • Renault R4L '64 - Lucy
    • Renault Megane '07 - too young to have a name...

So by reving one V8 more than the other you should get the rear end steering the ....ummmh.... vehicle. Sort of like a tank!
    Cheers Renomad

"Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!

Thread Information