MY4 G/F - Which car?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default MY4 G/F - Which car?

Erin, my g/f is looking for her second car. Some idiot ran up her arse before christmas, and the car is now a write-off so she'll be receiving a cheque soonish. She had a '91 suzuki swift (worth around $3k) and wants to look at something between the $6k-$10k bracket. She would prefer something small, automatic, a/c & pwr str. What would you recommend?

I was looking at a 95' Citroen Xantia, what are they like? Reliability wise, safety, on-going costs, etc...? Are many of you familiar with this model?

What other french cars could she consider?

Or any other type of car...

Your advice would be much appreciated!

Advertisement
    ~Dave Power` [MY 4] :

"#PW33RR" --- > "PW33RR" 2009 Mazda6 MXR-CD, 2.2L Turbo Diesel - More torque than the last! Geesssuz[/COLOR] HOT
    "#ZEG01F" --- > 2006 VW Golf 2.0L TDI - The torque machine SOLD
    "MY 4" --------------- > 2002 Monaco Blue RenaultSport Clio MkII SOLD
    "XES11V" ---------- > 1999 Mitsubishi Mirage STOLEN

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I don't think for that price you could go past a Xantia. Have you ever driven one They are built like a brick sh!thouse with incredible torsional strength (which shows in driving).

I would budget a cambelt, fluid change and most likely sphere regassing/replacement on any Xantia.

Upkeep I imagine will be much like a 406. Don't get an 8valve auto, they are sedate off the line ( I have one of them, perfect for my wife to drive ). The VSX is an incredible car, sports car like handling, yet very soft to ride in, very sedate acceleration wise unless you go the 16valve 5spd/V6/CT turbo route. Most of them are 8valve manuals (yeah !!) or slugomatics in your price range.

If the ride is rough you have a great haggling point at purchase time (mate the suspension is stuffed, I'm not paying that much ). The spheres and cheap to regass. Hopefully not many will be dead though.

go for it !!!

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by MY 4
    between the $6k-$10k bracket. She would prefer something small, automatic, a/c & pwr str. What would you recommend?
    HOwdy Dave,

I wouldve thought the xantia would be a bit big if youre looking for something "small", otherwise, a lovely car, no offence meant!

have you considered a 306? theres a hell of alot more of them around, expecially at that price, plus its a bit smaller.
    1992 mi16 1.9 litre - it's a love hate realtionship.

whatever you do NEVER tell anyone your car is reliable. doesn't matter how much wood you touch!

previous cars: peugeot 306xt, peugeot 205si, renault 20, renault 12 - sedan and wagon, renault 25, alfa 155 twin spark

Quote Originally Posted by enthused!
    HOwdy Dave,

I wouldve thought the xantia would be a bit big if youre looking for something "small", otherwise, a lovely car, no offence meant!

have you considered a 306? theres a hell of alot more of them around, expecially at that price, plus its a bit smaller.
    I consider the Xantia a 'little' car, certainly it doesn't seem/look much bigger than a 307

Bugger it, just get her a *real* car and find a nice CX for her None of this modern tedious stuff

I doubt you'd go wrong with a 306 either. I know Xantias, so aren't scared of them like most poeple. If you want to pay a price premium to get a Poogoe/Cit without *proper* suspension a 306/Xsara is probably worth looking at.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by MY 4
    wants to look at something between the $6k-$10k bracket. She would prefer something small, automatic, a/c & pwr str. What would you recommend?
    MX5?....joshing, but they are a really fun car, just ask Brad. I would also recommend a Ti Nissan Pulsar, lots of everything in a very nice and reliable package.
    Also a late model 2000> Daihatsu Charade. Great little cars, very honest and reliable. They don't attract theives either.
    Its also hard to go past a 306/xantia, atleast your in the knowledge that you will get plenty of support. - Chris
    ... ptui!

This girl is under 60, I presume, so a Citroen is out. Why on earth wouldn't you get a 306?
    She will leave you if you keep talking Xantia. Nice car, but sexy or youthful it isn't. When I was talking to her the other night she expressed more than a passing interest in Asanka, but that was just cos of his 306.
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

Find her a nice BA (94-98) Mazda Astina auto and you get CD, power steering, power windows and mirrors, great seats, zippy DOHC 1.8 motor, and good handling. Its reliable, cheap to insure, cheap to repair, and still looks great. You should be able to get 60-80K kms on it for your upper end of the price bracket.

I've seen a few Xantias coming through the dealership that are sent off to wholesalers - do not buy. I know this is the Frogs forum, but drive it hard to make sure it doesn't make the same noises as a 15 year old malnourished horse being ridden by a 150kg jockey like the ones coming through the dealership did.
    Would say go the 306 over the Xantia if you have to go French - just remember whats best for you (French) is not necessarily best for her.

Quote Originally Posted by da_prancin_schu
    I know this is the Frogs forum, but drive it hard to make sure it doesn't make the same noises as a 15 year old malnourished horse being ridden by a 150kg jockey like the ones coming through the dealership did
    Exactly what I'd expect any car dealer to say Which is brilliant for us 'cos it means we can buy them so much more cheaply

Noisy, what a load of bullsh!t, did you pick up a turbo deisel with a broken camshaft from cambelt failure or something

Xantias are so horendously overbuilt I couldn't even imagine what could rattle on one. Let me guess the guts had dropped out of the muffler and was rattling.... Yeah, that's a good reason to write them all off Keep up these rumours, the more you spread them, the cheaper I can buy the cars They are just a 406 with proper suspension, so I don't see why you would need to "avoid"

You should have rang me, I would have bought it in a hearbeat (given the price it would be worth sounding like that ).

I really do think you should get a Mazda yourself.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by Warwick
    This girl is under 60, I presume, so a Citroen is out. Why on earth wouldn't you get a 306?
    She will leave you if you keep talking Xantia. Nice car, but sexy or youthful it isn't. When I was talking to her the other night she expressed more than a passing interest in Asanka, but that was just cos of his 306.
    Yeah,

I agree, the 306 is just so exciting ..... Or is it a Barina Face it they both look boring as bat sh!t, certainly the Xantia is no worse than the little hatch lookalike though

Have to be 60years old ... Hang on I'll just show this to my 25year old wife, I hope she doesn't know where you live

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Last edited by DoubleChevron; 12th January 2005 at 11:49 PM.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by da_prancin_schu
    Find her a nice BA (94-98) Mazda Astina auto and you get CD, power steering, power windows and mirrors, great seats, zippy DOHC 1.8 motor, and good handling. Its reliable, cheap to insure, cheap to repair, and still looks great. You should be able to get 60-80K kms on it for your upper end of the price bracket.

I've seen a few Xantias coming through the dealership that are sent off to wholesalers - do not buy. I know this is the Frogs forum, but drive it hard to make sure it doesn't make the same noises as a 15 year old malnourished horse being ridden by a 150kg jockey like the ones coming through the dealership did.
    Would say go the 306 over the Xantia if you have to go French - just remember whats best for you (French) is not necessarily best for her.

hang on

weren't you looking for a GTi-6 recently ?

or was that just an inquiry for a customer
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Get the 306, and if you can spend $10k, try to find a very cheap S16 bang for buck in a French car in the price range you're talking about i don't see how you could go past a 306 especially if you can find an S16 which you will be just on or slightly under the verge of at $10k.

The Xantia, whilst being quirky and sort of interesting to look at, and having a good ride, Is not as nice to look at, nor will it be as fast as a 16 valve 306, nor will your girlfriend or her / your fiends be very impressed by it.

brad is still trying to move his s16 , why don't you talk to him ??

there is also this on drive

http://www.drive.com.au/used_cars/pe...&pp=4&d=0&nv=1
    Last edited by orestes; 13th January 2005 at 04:14 AM.

Guys, Erin is after an AUTO. So don't suggest an S16, as it's a manual.

I think da_prancin_shu makes some fair points, that you have to ensure that Erin actually wants a French car. As much as we all love them, it may not be the right choie for her.

My recommendation was that if you got a Xantia, that you made sure you bought one with a good history and preferably from a daler where you can get some warranty. Spheres and regassing are an issue, it doesn't cost much, but getting it looked at for free is better piece of mind. Yes, it's just a 406 or is it a 406 under there, in the end.

A 405 STI would be a nice consideration too. But in your price range, I think you'd struggle to find a good quality auto 306, so I'd be considering Pulsars and Corollas too. Not as exciting, but they're reliable...not that I'm saying a 306 or Xantia isn't, I just think Pulsars and Corollas are even more reliable.

The question that needs to be asked is, what does Erin want from her next car? She's only just started driving, right? She had a Swift before, so almost anything would be better.
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

Should this be posted in humour?
    All this advice & information on Citroens from people who have never owned one???
    I can give some views on Jap stuff if you like; I have owned plenty and used to be in the car industry and in a Toyota franchise, but unfortunately the myths on them seem to stick as well as the myths on the French cars; pity both are on opposite sides of the fence.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    All this advice & information on Citroens from people who have never owned one???
    I can give some views on Jap stuff if you like; I have owned plenty and used to be in the car industry and in a Toyota franchise, but unfortunately the myths on them seem to stick as well as the myths on the French cars; pity both are on opposite sides of the fence.

Alan S
    I should've added in the price range mentioned that you'd get a Pulsar or Corolla with lower miles. A Xantia will have at least 120,00km on the clock. Not that this an overly large issue with a PSA car. But it's why service history is very important...as with any car.

Having owned a 306 and Japanese cars and have friends with the particular Corolla in this price range, my experience is one that the Japanese car tends to be more reliable. Yes, you can have Japanese duds, no doubt at all. But in the end, it's just my opinion, and I'm sure you have one too

My main concern in the sub $10K price range is spending too much on a car and then having to spend a few grand to fix it up. If your budget is $10K, I'd be looking at spending no more than $7,500. Keep the rest for the inevitable repairs.
    - Lincoln

Icon2

If she wants smallish and french and automatic, I think you should look at a cheap little Citroen BX or Renault 19 they are good solid reliable buys about at present.
    There are loads of them in the tradingpost.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney
    .......Renault 19 they are good solid reliable buys about at present.
    In the $6-10K price range, there are much better buys than a Renault 19 with a grenade auto trans!

Icon7

Simon they are very nice cars. The transmissions are no worse than any other car.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney
    If she wants smallish and french and automatic, I think you should look at a cheap little Citroen BX or Renault 19 they are good solid reliable buys about at present.
    Renault 19's are bland or boring as bat sh!t. Gutless and not great to drive to boot. The BX is a great car, but getting a little long in the tooth. If your budget will stretch to a Xantia (or the poogoe ) I'd look that direction. They are a MUCH more substantial car than the BX (which also makes them heavier & not as much fun to drive).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    we've actually had a few in the family (nothing modern), i respect citroens and consider them a great car (would love to own a d if i had the time to maintain one) but would you stick your girlfriend / daughter of a reasonably young age as an example behind the wheels of a cit. Personally i don't think they'd be to impresed, but thats just my opinion.

if its an auto you want why not consider an 8v XSi, im sure there's plenty of them around, and they'd be fairly easy to find in automatic.

or if you want something japanese and automatic, thats not boring why don't you look at an early to mid 90's civic, they don't look as old as what they are especially in the sedans

http://www.drive.com.au/used_cars/ho...pp=12&d=0&nv=1

http://www.drive.com.au/used_cars/ho...pp=17&d=0&nv=1

http://www.drive.com.au/used_cars/ho...pp=13&d=0&nv=1

or what about this

MAKE/MODEL: Peugeot 205
    YEAR: 1992
    ODOMETER: 112,000kms
    PRICE: $6,100.00
    BODY: hatchback
    TRANSMISSION: automatic

Peugeot 205 1992 Red hatchback 1600cc auto, 112000kms, electric windows, one owner, ABG-99R $6100 KINGS LANGLEY 02-9674 1584 or 0412-708721.
    Last edited by orestes; 13th January 2005 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by orestes
    we've actually had a few in the family (nothing modern), i respect citroens and consider them a great car (would love to own a d if i had the time to maintain one) but would you stick your girlfriend / daughter of a reasonably young age as an example behind the wheels of a cit.
    Should I introduce you to my wife She loves her old BX and will not have you speak ill of it. If it's not pulling 6500rpm through the gears and cornering on it's doorhandles ... well, she's not driving it
    Would I allow a girlfriend/daughter drive a Citroen Well the fact I bought my then girlfriend a BX answers that doesn't it She like her new Xantia, certainly she's not keen on how slow it is, but she loves the way 'P' platers in lowered crummydores dissapear from her mirrors whenever shes going around corners (mental note: pull a plug lead off the Xantia and let a heap of air out of the front tires to slow her down a bit ).

Definatly without doubt I would buy my daughter one ... But I fail to see the point in that when she's only 5months old ... I guess is she *really* wants a Citroen I'll let her take her pick from the cars lining the back fence

I really don't know why you guys think little poogoe hatches look "exciting & for young people". They look just like all the Hyundies and Dapooes out there. Certainly the Xantia looks no better.

205 Why the hell would you want to buy her an ugly little 2seater with the ride comfort of a Mac truck. Forget her wearing nice undergarmets, it'd be sports bra the whole way She wouldn't be your girlfreind for long. On the plus side it does look like a girls car though.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by Warwick
    When I was talking to her the other night she expressed more than a passing interest in Asanka, but that was just cos of his 306.
    Yes this is true, at first i thought it was my prince charming like personality & my brad pitt good looks, however i later found out she was only intersted in my 306 cause it has a sunroof.

In all seriousness, do your lady a favour, get her a 306, 306's go very cheap these days, hence im not gonna bother selling mine, she will look cool at the local cafe plus all the trendiest girls in melbourne drive 306's, man if i saw a girl under the age of 30 drive a xantia id wouldnt go out with her, just imagine being dubbed the 'guy whos going out with the girl who drives a citroen xantia' ooo the humiliation.

dont know who mentioned a renault 19 by why the F!CK would you want a renualt 19??? youd have to be have the personality of a brick to want that car, that car reminds me of warwick, ugly & boring.

hey wait a second, does your girlfriend even like french cars??
    suggesting cars to women i reckon is worse than going clothes shopping with them, YOU CANT WIN SO GIVE UP NOW & LET HER DECIDE, just give her moral support.

love always

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    Certainly the Xantia looks no better.
    yeah it looks worse, maybe to you upsy downsy sitroen types the xantia is a piece of artwork but to the young espicially the females any of the old cit's are ugly ass weird pieces of sh*t. I know for a fact many exciting young people love the 306 & 206, espicially females,
    Last edited by purrr-geot; 14th January 2005 at 12:37 AM.

On the relationship front just remember not to make a recommendation that's going to come back and bite you......so think built like a brick shithouse, reliable and cheap to fix....and work the rest of it around that premise.

Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

Quote Originally Posted by warwick
    When I was talking to her the other night she expressed more than a passing interest in Asanka, but that was just cos of his 306.
    HAHAHA!!! You guys are a crack up!

Quote Originally Posted by purrr-geot
    Yes this is true, at first i thought it was my prince charming like personality & my brad pitt good looks, however i later found out she was only intersted in my 306 cause it has a sunroof.
    I know, I know, it's so disheartening isn't it?? I don't even have a sunroof and she fell for my clio, BUT she thought it was a 306 with a sunroof. Why? Because there was a reflection above where the sunroof should sit. And she just assumed it was a sunroof, so there ya go. Then I told her my nickname was purrr-geot and it was love at first sight right there and then.

I have to thank you for that purrr-geot. It's a favour not too many men would offer. So how is the love-advice going these days, Fabio?

heheee

Quote Originally Posted by purrr-geot
    ]hey wait a second, does your girlfriend even like french cars?? suggesting cars to women i reckon is worse than going clothes shopping with them, YOU CANT WIN SO GIVE UP NOW & LET HER DECIDE, just give her moral support.
    love always
    This is the underlying point here ladies and gentlemen. She's not a die-hard french fanatic, I was just giving her options to help her in her descisions.

I really appreciate all of the input from everyone on this topic, it's much appreciated.

But, recent updates are: Looking at a 95' Nissan Micra, which only has 95000k on the clock, and is going for under $6k - so i think we're on to a winner there. But it's still not 100% positive yet either. Because we're having trouble with the seller providing service history, etc. So we may give it the thumbs down. But all that aside - it's really the first car she has looked at & she's not sure if she's all that 'in love' with it (unlike purrr-geot's 306 )

ALSO, She's been considering a brand spankin' new Hyundai Getz. They've got the sale on atm, at only $13490, driveaway - which is pretty awesome considering that they have 5yr/130000 km warranty. It's not a bad deal at all. And - at the end of the day, it's just a commuter for her. Not a status symbol, nor of any interest whatsoever (unlike the rest of us, right?)

So in conclusion, it's all going to come down to A) Reliability (plus - who can you trust?) B) Value for money and C) Her own personal preference.

I'll post any further updates when they are received!

Thanks again people!
    Last edited by MY 4; 14th January 2005 at 10:49 AM.
    ~Dave Power` [MY 4] :

"#PW33RR" --- > "PW33RR" 2009 Mazda6 MXR-CD, 2.2L Turbo Diesel - More torque than the last! Geesssuz[/COLOR] HOT
    "#ZEG01F" --- > 2006 VW Golf 2.0L TDI - The torque machine SOLD
    "MY 4" --------------- > 2002 Monaco Blue RenaultSport Clio MkII SOLD
    "XES11V" ---------- > 1999 Mitsubishi Mirage STOLEN

The Getz is a decent car, but I'd be looking at ex demo or near new Clios, 206s, C3s, Fiestas, Barinas and Echos as well.

All are quality cars and not much happens to these little cars in the first 5 years of ownership. Hyundai need to give a warranty like that to give the perception of quality, the others don't because they are generally rock solid cars.

The 206 would be up there for me as a bargain buy in the 2 year old bracket.
    - Lincoln

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information