Tassie trip report
  • Register
  • Help

Default Tassie trip report

first of all, thanks to all who made excellent suggestions on where to go. I did my best to do all, and made most of them it was wonderful and I'm going back

for anyone who don't want to read the rant, Tassie is simply wonderful, a blast, majestic, stunning... actually... to be honest its none of those. You'd have to take all of those words and more, stuff them into a blender... scoop up the ones that fell out and stuff them back in. Blend for a good 15 minutes, and that might... might describe the island. Both for the drivers and the sheer beauty of the place. go there no matter what, I know I'll be back before long.

So day 1 Melb
    Melb is well pretty boring, we went around the city took some typical holiday snaps and had lunch in one of the cafes on Lygons St... err the one opposite of Via Veneto... anyway, real nice things to eat and drink, but we could only do that for so long. But we met up with Mick and Jen(let's hoe i got the name right...), good on you guys for coming out for a bit of a drive, Mick... real nice going despite the cisco equipment in there, it didn't look like you cared but hey DOA right? hehe. But yes great drive, I've been on that mountain once before, but never around those roads you took me great stuff!

Day2,
    New years eve, had a BBQ, then went to the fireworks. Not as big as Sydney's, ringo you just had to send me that picture... oh well it was fun never the less. We got to the view place seriously 20 seconds before 12... so we got there before my fridend can utter let's get a drink the count down started. The good thing about Melb is you don't have to beat a billion people to get a good fireworks viewing spot.

Day3,
    This is the big one, at night we borded the Spirit of Tasmania II and headed out to sea. Nothing like the Sea cat from Dover to France, but hey its a much longer ride. Drivingsinside a boat is weird, and the navman showin us moving on water was even more so. We end up clocking the Spirit at a max of 56KPH. Drinks were cheap, only 5 bucks for a burbon, but they came in a very very long glass that normally would be for softdrinks or something.

Day4,
    650am straight off the boat, Devonport - Stantley point, the later is just gorgeous. Luckily the rain hasn't caught us at this point. By 11am we were charging down the A10 towards Queens town. A hole in the ground pretty much, but we had no where else to stay. Strahan only 50 or so kays away is a pretty small port town where we spent most of the arvo, and dinner. The A10 takes us through Hellyers gorge, probably the best of all the targa bits, its a up and down hill run through the Cradle mountain national park bits, it has a mix of fast and slow bits, but for us because it was pissing down, it was all reasonably slow... how ever still faster than comfort... i was amazed at how quickly we went through in the wet, with 3 heavy guys and a boot, filled to the rim with stuff. Cleared up at Queens town, the road to Strahan is beautiful, fast corners and good surface. Which is more typical of all tassie roads, excellent excellent surface. I hate driving on pothole filled things, don't know just gets nervous.

day 5,
    Queens Town - Hobart via Lake Gordon and its powerstation dam. Out of Queens down, the A10 goes up a mountain, that section the entire road was made up of 25kph bends, and i didn't feel comfortable taking them at 25 in this car!!!! there is no fast bit, the road is narrow and the possibility of falling off the mountain (straight to your death as there are zero trees) is very real. And just when you've had enough, the road opens up to a great plain, decorated with nice looking things. the view is like a paitning, painted a by a master while you are watching as it un folds itself. and that is also typical of Tassie as we found, you'd be driving in moutains and trees, and suddenly a big beautiful open plain, before you head back into the hills. The road from A10 to Lake gordon is very beautiful as you drive through yet another national park, not a targa stage but I had the most fun on it, i think it was me doing most things right and i nailed it. again with 2 passengers and a boot full of things, but it seems the car simply shook off the 400 extra kilos in it and ate the road for brunch. I had my one, and only airtime there though, it was cool! :-) Jim Richards would have been proud. lake gordon is one of those places where the actual place is nicer than the post cards! 2 lakes (pedders and gordon) on top of the mountain, gordon is being used for the power station dam. the calm waters and blue sky makes it a post card, but you'd have to be there to imerse in teh sheer beauty of the place. By night we arrive in Hobart, and had dinner at this japanese place, which... errrrmmm made excelent Rissoto.... no really it did... but not much else...

day6
    Hobart-South Port. Its like a nice small European town, everything is delicate and clean. the best Crossiant and coffee in the morning, cops are nice to you and wanted to know about what it was that i was driving. Very tall people, and beautiful woman (no really!). It's relaxed and pretty. Mt Wellington was close by and we went up there, on a good day you can see teh entire city and the harbour. On our sotrmy day, we saw nothign bu white clouds and blue sky above when at the summit. Driving out of the fog, and suddenly see the blue sky, the sun and white clouds BELOW you is unreal! It was scary too, and i kept on checking if the car had turned into aircraft mode, where renault made calaboration with airbus. standing on top of wellington, and all you see below is a sea of cotton whtie cloud, unbeilievable... just unreal. from there it was a quick drive to tour the Huon trail. went on teh airwalk, where you go above the forest, it was really a tourist thing. Quick bush walk through the huon pines, that was nice. Kept on going and end up in south port, which is one of the very southern points you can get to by road. well with this car, you can't go further south by road. 4WD you might. fish and chips in Dover, met this really nice girlie who brought us the food and cascade soda drinks... yes Cascade soda!!!! and Juice!!!!??!!!!

day 7
    Hobart - Port Aruther - Coles bay - Launceston - Devonport
    The most rigrious day of driving, everything needed to be done on the double. And we did. Quick tour of Port Arthur setus back. By the time we moved for Coles bay a good 250k away was already 1130. in just 2 and half hours we got there. Quick bite at the local cafe and treked out to see the Wine glass bay and Freycinet national park. Bush/mountain treking took a while, and by the time we started teh return journey it was pissing down, which made the walk that much harder since the rocks slipped and the walking paths were giant mud and sand puddles. Drove around teh national park to various bays in pouring down rain, didn't get out of the car again but it was good fun. No, unlike ringo i didnt' dare try to slide the car, actualyl ringo wouldnt' even dare to slide there and get his blond locks caught in the next motor home coming around the corner. By the time we started off to Launceston it was already very late, like 530. Thankfully there weren't as many motor hoems and caravans on the road, the ones that were, were dispatched easily. In Tassie you really do need a good handling car that is capable of over taking, because getting stuck behind the oen of a billion motors homes in a mountain is very very anoying! I didn't have to deal with such frustrations much :-). But one Vic driver in a ford made it his life's goal to nto let me pass, every time i try to over take, he blocks me. Ones he even got to point where he took a blind right hander on the wrong side of the road, but going at about 60 on the 100 road. Didn't last though. :-) from Cmapbell town to Launceston is probably Tassie's straightest road. We took advantage of it as we were wet, hungry and tired... and to make myself stay away. We managed the 76KM journey in 40 minutes, in pissing down rain too. Dinner at launceston where i found the only Renault dealer, fish and chips in the port was excellent. Took a while to find, and it is about the only city we found to have rice boys running around. I've had 3 seperate teenagers lining up next to me, and explaining to the chik they're trying to impress how their gemini with fart cans was faster than my new Barina... At Devonport (1030) we lived in a very very nice country cottage. terrific end for a magical journey.

day 8,
    the seacat... i mean the spirit back to Melb and mainland... got a bit sea sick as you all already know. But i can't help but smile at teh last few days, and i still have a grin on my face right now as i write this. All the trip has coem back to me, its like watching a film, watching myself driving on that wonderful island. I'm going back before long, you know that ad? you'll love every piece of Victoria? I think the Tasmania deserves that, because you will actually love every piece of it, down to the small grains of dust.

I will put up photos in the next few days, I have taken 1.2GB worth, that's 700+ pictures, and obviously only put ont he best ones... but that's still a problem at the moment. Did something daring phographing as well, since i didn't have a stickypod the tripod, and myself/friend was used in a combination to take shots while driving... highly illegal ofcourse. now, i gotta call for room service... oh wait... ahhh bugger. At least the car down stairs is still plastered with Tasmianian wild life.

Advertisement
    Karl
    -----------------

What a shame... you missed out on this...

Of course, you missed the snow altogether... but that's a good excuse to go back again, isn't it?

Isn't this nice?

Seems to me, though, that you never went here...

Or maybe you went past too fast to see it?

Anyway, let's see what your photos can give. I haven't been out to Strathgordon since 1978 or '79... it is a great drive, but you neglected to mention the informative signs that tell you about the rocks and the mountains as you go out that way. Those dams are huge, of course, they cover about 5% of the area of Tasmania between them.

You rushed it too much... you do need a week to see Tassie, maybe ten days...

Is that cradle mountain? If so, yes i missed it. but its okay because it was pouring down rain... and so if we went... which we could have we wouldn't really see anything like that. Or was that Wellington? Which we actaulyl went twice, the second time was even worse, it was raining so hard even on the top we can't see more than 1 meter out. Yes the trip was very rushed, only4 days and we tried to get to as many spots as possible. I thought it was a good effort given the rain and all, but yes next time i'm giving at l4east a full 7 days and just visit one spot perday, i reckon you'd need it too. I mean freycinet national park would be like 2 days if you want to take a lot of the walks.
    Karl
    -----------------

That's Mount Wellington, a selection of the views to be had from there...

This is Dove Lake, Cradle Mountain...

I think the conditions for us were worse... you're definitely a wimp! But it was so worthwhile having a look... and yes, seven days for a quick glimpse everywhere, then ten days the next time to concentrate on really seeing three or four areas properly.

You really need to see the roads south of Huonville, through Cygnet and either over Nicholls Rivulet or the Woodbridge saddle or the drive around the coast and back to Kingston. Lovely!
    It is really nice to do the Tasman Peninsula properly too, with Nubeena, Premaydena etc.
    If you don't mind dirt roads then going from Kempton up through Bothwell and Miena past Great Lake and over the mountain pass to Deloraine is great, and the Liffey area around Bracknell is nice too.
    Richmond is a great little place too, with lots of historic buildings ( the Village Store was built in the 1820s) and the oldest bridge in Australia which you can still drive over. Lovely.

Ya gotta come back!
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

I think this was from a backyard at a place called Park Beach...

Looking towards Hobart.

i am not a whimp! hehe actually to be honest, we missed cradle mountain totally. We sort of didn't really know, till we got to Strahan.... then it was too late as we only had 4 days. So next time.

But i am going back don't you worry, i loved it.
    Karl
    -----------------

Icon2

I love cradle mountain its a very peaceful place and Tasmania in general is a great place I think the major issue with it is that it doesnt have enough population and therefore has no jobs there. Id be there tommorrow otherwise.
    Also the place has lots of people from all over australia who have made their money on the mainland and are cashed up and they go there to retire and kick back.

It was our first night out... it was also the first time my wife's been in the snow, I think...

There's a sign on that roof, by the way... guess what it says!

Some nice tasting Flathead have come out of that bay Ray......
    Mt Wellington is what you can see in the distance there, looks better with snow on it though. The air is clearer in winter as well, so you can see it better.
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project

Flathead? I didn't see any flathead!

Where's mine?

When you came through they were still out in the deeper water. Now they are about 100-200 metres out. In the midle of the bay you get quite a few, and if you have a bigger boat than a tiny dinghy you can go out past the island and get bigger ones. The bay is also sometimes full of Cocky Salmon and the occaisional Silver Trevally and Stripy Trumpeter come in too.
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project

Thread Information