Att Software Gurus 404 Manual to PDF?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Att Software Gurus 404 Manual to PDF?

Does anyone know what the best software to scan my 404 manual to PDF. Will a full version of acrobat do the trick or is there something better. At the moment a clear scan is about 2M/page and there is lots of pages. I have a V6 engine PDF document which is perfectly clear and is about 100 pages and is 1.45M all up. How do I achieve this. If I can get it scanned in I can make it available to anyone who wants it easily and cheaply.

Advertisement

Thanks

Jarrod

I am unsure if Acrobat will do this on its own. You may need OCR software that could possibly "save to pdf".

Other then that, what operating system do you use? I ask because if you have a Macintosh and run OS X. OS X provides native support for creating pdf files from just about any file you have open.

Another option would be to take the book to a printer or somewhere similar and ask if it can be made into an electronic version.

Worse comes to worse, I can convert your large files into one pdf document at my work (I work from home).

pips
    Ever wonder why Mad Scientist talk to themselves? They know others just wouldn't understand.

The software said "Windows 98 or better". So I installed Linux.

1990 405 Mi16

Quote Originally Posted by pips
    I am unsure if Acrobat will do this on its own. You may need OCR software that could possibly "save to pdf".

Other then that, what operating system do you use? I ask because if you have a Macintosh and run OS X. OS X provides native support for creating pdf files from just about any file you have open.

Another option would be to take the book to a printer or somewhere similar and ask if it can be made into an electronic version.

Worse comes to worse, I can convert your large files into one pdf document at my work (I work from home).

pips
    Windows 2000. Note the PDF manual I already have, although quite clear does not appear to have used character recognition software as the letters haven't been recreated.

Jarrod
    Last edited by jarrods; 3rd January 2005 at 10:26 AM.

Icon7

There are programs that are available to allow you to print to a .pdf document. They act like a printer and all you have to do is go file --> print and your list of your conventional printers and the .pdf printer appears. There's one called FinePrint pdfFactory Pro which is very good. I scanned a Keugelfischer manual to a .jpg which was about 830kB/page and when printed to .pdf was reduced to about 75kB/page. There was some clarity loss though, but it wasn't too bad. I've included a sample of one of the pages from it.

If you buy the full version of Acrobat I'm pretty sure you can scan direct to .pdf without any quality loss, this would be an expensive option.

It would be great to have a repository of workshop manuals and the like freely availabe to AF members. I think things like scanning a whole Haynes manual to .pdf and distributing it around freely would probably infringe on someone's copyright.

Matt.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by jarrods
    Windows 2000. Note the PDF manual I already have, although quite clear does not appear to have used character recognition software as the letters haven't been recreated. Jarrod
    Scanning it and making a PDF from the scans is just like having the large JPEGS. The reason the other one is probably so small cause it's been made from the original and is using vector graphics ... you can tell easily ... just zoom in to 1600% or something and do the letters scale with no jagged edges?, if so it's vector.

You can get reasonable results from sacns alone with the right settings ... but expect 100-300kb per page at least. Also in Adobe writter there is a tools called PDF optimiser, you can set the graphics DPI for colour and B&W graphics. If you are still stuck send me the scans (at least 300-200 DPI and I'll put together the PDF .. still will be large without those vectors though)

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Abode Acrobat Professional has the ability to make pdf's from scanned documents. When you go to "File">>"New", you should be able to choose what type of input file. From the scanner, from a file, multiple files, etc.

This is Acrobat version 6.x

I think Version 7 is out now, but I am waiting for my next tax return to purchase it.
    Ever wonder why Mad Scientist talk to themselves? They know others just wouldn't understand.

1990 405 Mi16

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

i have adobe acrobat pro V6 here

i reckon many a late night could get it all done

i did have a copy of the complete 404 parts manual but i thnk one of my uncles has it

i also used to have the complete versions of 203/403/504 and 604

i wish i still had them all now
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Default Software Gurus etc

Old jungle saying.
    Never lend money, tools, your car, books or your wife. In that order.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest
    Old jungle saying.

hence i borrow and items are returned ASAP and i tend not to lend anything out unless i know for sure they are coming back

i have been bitten many a time
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest
    Old jungle saying.
    Now you can add DVD's and CD's people just don't give them BACK !!!

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

I'm guilty of that one.

But when I call a mate up to meet up with them to give the DVD or CD back, they are either never home, just stepping out, or busy.

pips

1990 405 Mi16

If you've got a bit of technical know-how and/or you don't mind mucking around a little, there's a piece of free software called GhostScript (http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/) that will convert PostScript (*.ps) files to PDF. If you look on the site, there's also another program called GSView that provides a reasonably user-friendly GUI instead of typing commands directly into GhostScript.

To get a PostScript file, simply install any printer from your Windows 2000 CD that has "PS" in the name - these are PostScript printers. When selecting a port, set it up to print to file instead of choosing a printer port like you would when installing a normal printer. Then open up your scans, print them to your PostScript printer, making sure you select Print To File. Name the file with a .ps extension, open it up in GhostScript/GSView and convert it to PDF!

It sounds a little laborious, but I used it to create a PDF of my university thesis with good results. I'm not sure how well scanned images will compress down in size though.

If you decide to give it a go, but it sounds a bit complex or you get stuck, PM me and I'll do what I can to help you out

I know many people that are software developers and uni students that use similar software to ghostscript.

I couldn't get my head around it the first time, but its great once you know it.

Easily made pdf's. I didn't meantion this cause I thought it would be alittle over the top.

pips

1990 405 Mi16

If you're looking for something that promotes itself as "the fast, affordable way to create professional-quality documents in the popular PDF file format", try pdf995 (from http://www.pdf995.com , of course!) -- so named because it'll cost you (should you feel like doing the honourable thing) $US9.95!

Works a treat ...
    Last edited by mr bern; 6th January 2005 at 12:20 AM. Reason: finger trouble correction
    MY15 208GTi

previously:
    MY10 Sportium HDi6 and 1.6L auto
    MY99 206GTi
    MY96 306XSi auto
    MY02 Clio 1.4L auto

1ére grenouille:
    MY5? Simca Aronde 90A

QUICK! MORE BREAD, MORE CIRCUSES!!

I use a program called ABBYY Finereader, and it works a charm on character rec.

I have a version licenced to my work, so I cant 'give' you a copy, and I think its quite expensive.

If you give me a copy of fairly high resolution scans, I can run it through the OCR engine, and give you a pdf version if you like.

David.