Old topic..but cant make up my mind!!! Tyres!
  • Register
  • Help

Default Old topic..but cant make up my mind!!! Tyres!

Happy new year first of all, I still cant belive I'm up before Midday! Anyway, finally pinned down down two types of tyre in the 195/55/15 range and cant make up my mind!

Tyre 1: Dunlop DZ01 Direzza, best price so far is $180 from bob jane artarmon.

Advertisement

Tyre 2: Bridgestone GIII, $200 from eastwood tyres.
    The thing that worries me about the bridgestones is every tyre shop has said they will go really well for 50% of their life an then lose it completley.

I'm thinking the Direzza's.

One tyre shop mentioned some italian tyres "Marangoni's" he said they are the best performance tyres available but Ive never heard of them...anyone know about these?
    Cheers

Fellow Frogger

I've found Jobsons at Waitara and Jax at Thornleigh helpful and fairly competitively priced in the past. Since they're not too far up the road for you, you might try them too.

Can't comment on the tyres though.

David

Quote Originally Posted by mmm...CORNERS
    The thing that worries me about the bridgestones is every tyre shop has said they will go really well for 50% of their life an then lose it completley.
    How would they know? I think a tyre fitter could say anything and most folk would believe them. I'm of the opinion that someone that fits tyres does not automatically entitle them to all there is to know about tyres. They might get second hand info from other customers, but really would you trust that either?

I couldn't recommend either of those tyres over the other. I can't remember having driven anything with either the Bridgestones or the Dunlops.

Do these interest you?

http://www.tempetyres.com.au/product...ch&part_no=300

Yeah those Azenis look good, at that price very tempted too. You have those on the BX? How are they in every day driving? Wet weather? They certainly look the biz. I'll give them a call on Teusday. Thanks

Yeah I do, and I've driven on them in various STi's. Not as bad in the wet as some might have you beleive. I was impressed. They can get a wee bit noisy at highway speeds but this is a small sacrifice.

If you're not exactly happy with them I'm sure someone on AF will snap them up as it is a pretty common size.

Tempe Tyres can fit them for you but to be honest I'd recommend taking the tyres and getting them fitted somewhere else, and then getting a good alignment done.

They didn't fit the tyres on my rim properly and I have doubts about their balancing machine. You can't beat their prices though.

cool, thanks for the feedback. The prices that tempe do are very cheap. I'll decide on teusday!

Default Finally, New Rubber!!

Well, I have finally had some Direzza's put on, 195/55 R15's and after only 30klm's I am totally convinced I made a good choice. After driving on 205/50's for 40,000klm's I'm stoked to get some feel back. I cant say yet wheather its the size change or the tyre or both that makes the car feel better but it is certainly a transformed drive. No more tramlining, and far reduced road noise. I'll wait for the tyres to wear in a bit before taking them for a hard drive, but on first impressions, excellent. Initial turn in so far feels smooth, with a really progressive feel, theres a slight slip just after direction begins to change but that settles down. I'm geussing thats just the newness. I'll keep this thread up to date, once I've driven on these a while.

nice purchase. keep us updated on how they go. sorry for not finding this thread earlier, but I think you've made the right choice. $180 is a good price, too.
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

no probs, I'm going to drive to work via River Rd tomorrow to check out how it handles some slightly off camber corners and mid corner bumps. The ride is just so much better, it's unbeliveable.

I'm really keen to drive in some heavy rain after driving down Epping Rd on teusday night during the rain on my old tyres I was scared sh*$less with huge aquaplaning even at 50k's and even lost traction in 5th gear going up a hill....it was an interesting last drive on the yoko A539's! glad to see them go.

What are you doing in 5th gear at 50kph going uphill in the wet? In the wet you need torque... without torque you'll lose grip with almost any tyre.
    - Lincoln

Man you have to careful what you say here.....I meant previously I was doing 50...by the time time I was going up the hill I was cruising in 5th at 80kph...maybe my response should be " oh, my cars got so much grunt, that i can start in 5th, even the starter moter can get me to 60!!!!"

I'll explain better in future. BTW, tyres still awsome

Quote Originally Posted by mmm...CORNERS
    Man you have to careful what you say here.....I meant previously I was doing 50...by the time time I was going up the hill I was cruising in 5th at 80kph...maybe my response should be " oh, my cars got so much grunt, that i can start in 5th, even the starter moter can get me to 60!!!!"

I'll explain better in future. BTW, tyres still awsome
    Oh I see, you were at 80kph in 5th up a hill... that makes more sense... although, in the wet, I'd still be knocking down a gear in the rain... I just prefer more power and torque to get that water out from the tyres and to get me out of trouble.
    - Lincoln

Thread Information