Wiring connectors/crimp on terminals
  • Register
  • Help
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Default Wiring connectors/crimp on terminals

Hi Guys,

I have just been into the local auto parts place looking for crimp on terminals. they only have the usual Narva crap that costs about $3.50 for a dozen terminals. They are the soft metal sh!t that lasts bugger all time.

I went over to stir up the worker (they always groan when the see the bloody Sightrone owner walk in). "Mate where's your proper terminals. I want some with the little metal tag on the back so they will press into the plastic housings and stay there ...".

"Yep we sell them ... Really nice quality terminals that look like there brass, both male & female", they show me there book, they even have them in that little [email protected] of a size that bosch injection systems love to use (also used on the negative side of car speakers). "Oh yeah, there's none in stock and we can only purchase them in bags of 100".

Bugger it, so how much is a bag ??? You ready for this .... $15bux ... Yes $15bux for 100 proper terminals when the narva crap are $3.50 for there little packets !!!!!!!! Best bit is when I demand a 'good customer discount' they drop the price back to $12bux a pack.

If anyone needs some proper terminals to re-wire there cars let me know .... I have 100's of them (literally LOL). They should be in tomorrow.

Advertisement

The old CX is going to be pretty sweet sporting new wires/connectors under the bonnet.... It's going to be a drawn out time consuming battle replacing it all 1wire at a time... But I'll get there !!! I'm just going to cut each wire back until I find no copper rott, splice in a new wire of the same colour, cover the soldered splice with heat shrink then clip new plastic harnesses around the lot (who cares if the harnesses were originally wrapped with plastic tape, the plastic clip on harnesses are supperior in just about every aspect.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

...good on you....and why not...
    One hint I can suggest to many......Drop in to your local parts supplier on a quite day...say tuesday morning, and try and strike up a conversation with at least one of the staff that seems to show an interest into your particular vehicle....
    If you do this a few times and occasionally buy something, even if it is a light bulb or some degreaser....., you will SOON be considered as a REGULAR customer and will MORE THAN LIKELY start to recieve a regular (at least) 10% discount.....the other advantage is that the guy/gal behind the counter will than more than likely try and go out of their way to help or try and chase parts up for you at a good price....This is their bread after all....Its good 2 have good relations with a local parts supplier......We have many regulars and they will always get top notch service and price.....hell many come just for a chat and a coffee.....This one guy, will walk though the shop, tell us all to piss off as he just wants to have a leak.....he d do his business, wave bye and be on his way...good old Paulie...cool customer if there ever was one...........

cheers

dino

I've been going there for years. They must be finding it hard with the mass buying power of supercheap. Autobarn shouldn't be a problem anymore. It's hardly worth walking into one of there stores. Talk about useless riceboy sh!t lining there shelves. If I wanted [email protected] seat covers and 'metalic look trim' and flashing neon lights and [email protected] audio 'doof doof' gear it'd be at the top of my list

I've been going to this place for about 15years now (since I was about 15years old) so they should know me They still won't deal on oil (there bugger all $$$ in it), sadly how can they compete when I can buy it for much less at the local Big W store.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Shane, I thought you would be so anal about it that you wouldn't just leave it at that. I thought you would get Mil spec 70/30 solder, colour coded heat shrink, electrolyte grease and solder all your terminals by hand!.... well done on the cumstomer is always right thing thou.- Chris
    ... ptui!

Quote Originally Posted by CHRI'S16
    Shane, I thought you would be so anal about it that you wouldn't just leave it at that. I thought you would get Mil spec 70/30 solder, colour coded heat shrink, electrolyte grease and solder all your terminals by hand!.... well done on the cumstomer is always right thing thou.- Chris
    I haven't decided yet, I may just replace the whole wiring depending on the extent of copper rott I find. The new terminals will most difinatly be soldered on, then covered in heatshrink, followed by vasoline, I'm not sure about electrolyte grease, the big multiplugs might be cross talk if I use that.

Me anal You haven't seen my car have you

Think of an old CX, now think of one with no roof lining (as the sun melted the glue causing it to drop as soon as it hit our shores), the black velour all over the car (eg: A, B, C pillars) coming away, the paint being terrible as our sun has now eaten through the clear coat down one side of the car.

I'll get to the cosmetics eventually, however being mechaincally reliable (well being a CX electrically reliable) is far more important.

I'm finding it extremely difficult to get anything done. I've only just got the front end together and found last night I hadn't tightened the anti-roll bar drop link nut There's still a lot to be done, but I'll plod away at it until it's just the way I want it

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Dino said.....Drop in to your local parts supplier on a quite day...say tuesday morning, and try and strike up a conversation with at least one of the staff that seems to show an interest into your particular vehicle
    Huh? Dino, how many Zit-ron fanciers are gonna be working at an auto barn?
    Whilst I don't know the connectors of which you speak Shane, this is definately something to chase up.
    There is one way, you know, to painlessly replace all the wiring on a CX.....
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

HUH.....hehheheh

DINO also said: One hint I can suggest to many......Drop in to your local parts supplier on a quite day...

So my hint wasnt directed to shane or his citroen for that matter ....it was directed to the FOURM memebers in general ie pugs cits and renaults.....Oh, and I specifically didn t reffer to autobarn.....So your comment could just as well be applied to repco supercheap or any other.......kapis
    By the way....Michael (one of the other staff at mentone) has a RENAULT fluride (spell) and yes he loves the ds the gs, many pugs and renaults.....He was the guy I borrowed "the romance of renault "book" from......Either way both me and michael and even graham our boss is more likely to pop outside and have a perv at an old classic french than just about any beemer or merc you can park ....OK I would (and have) perved at a few (pre seventies) mercs but I m reasonably broad minded......

cheers

dino
    Last edited by dino; 31st December 2004 at 12:44 AM.

Hi Guys,

I picked up the terminals yesterday, they certainly are high quality (still branded narva) however they are solid brass and actually called "Brass crimp on terminals". I don't get it why are they $12 per 100 for solid brass high quality stuff, when there muck metal crap terminals is about $3.50 a dozen

I've never used brass terminals on a car before so I hope there ok ...

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Oh boy .... Dino works at Autobarn, guess who went and shoved both feet in there mouth (yet again .... probably only for the 100th time in the last 3days ).

Dino, Autobarn doesn't sell only riceboy crap ... Hey I think they did sell some ... er ... sparkpugs ?? last time I was in there I certainly was tempted by a nice set of neons though

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote:
    Oh boy .... Dino works at Autobarn, guess who went and shoved both feet in there mouth (yet again .... probably only for the 100th time in the last 3days ).

No, make that 101 times. You forgot about you're advice to John W in Perth

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by dunky
    Quote:

No, make that 101 times. You forgot about you're advice to John W in Perth

Bob
    Nah,

I stand by that advice, get rid of funny poogoe, keep R8, R16ts, Xantia and bring home CX2400. Sounds like exceptionally sound advice to me

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Thread Information