Spotted in Brisbane- Renault GTA
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default Spotted in Brisbane- Renault GTA

Saw a red one at Capalaba today...anybody here?

cheers JR

Advertisement
    jr20516v

Now:
    Exige SC [modded], 205 Si. Opel OPC

Previous: Honda EP3 Supercharged , 205 x34 [ including MI16 TURBO, 8v TURBO, CTI, 16V+TB's, 8V+TB's,] Fiat X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2, Clio rs 200

I eventually got it registered last week after some hassle with the VIN on the Import approval, not being the same as the actual VIN. I did give you half a wave, raising my hand off the steering wheel, but with the amount of reflection off the dash onto the windscreen you may not have seen it. I don't think I will treat the dash again!! JR, I did recognise it was you in PIG 205.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

1000+ Posts

Icon10

I thought after that it may have been your new baby [we should have stopped to have a chat and bo-peep at what is one of my favourite cars ]
    When i first saw it from a distance i thought...Mmmm this looks like a GTA coming towards me but couldnt be...surely !! Yep sure as eggs it was.
    Well done m8...you lucky bas#+#@

Cheers JR
    jr20516v

Now:
    Exige SC [modded], 205 Si. Opel OPC

Previous: Honda EP3 Supercharged , 205 x34 [ including MI16 TURBO, 8v TURBO, CTI, 16V+TB's, 8V+TB's,] Fiat X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2, Clio rs 200

I will bring it on one of our runs next year. It isn't perfect, but it's not bad. I may buy a replacement ball bearing type turbo for it, to spool up a bit quicker, and a set of Konis, but I don't think I will be modifying it. I can't use the performance it has now for very long.

Maybe a set of 17s as the tyres are cheaper and easier to find. Michelin are the only manufacturers that I am aware of that makes the 255/45/15s for the rear. They are the equivalent of $500 ea in the UK. Mine are new, for now, but have a treadwear rating of 100. Fairly soft.

If you would like one the easy way at some expense, but no risk, Alpine Affaire has a nice one I think for $30K, but I am sure that is always negotiable. Mine I believe is the 4th turbo in the country.

I will be selling the 306 in the new year, to then only have 3 toy cars and 2 old motorbikes.
    Last edited by alan moore; 27th December 2004 at 11:39 PM.
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Drool.
    What colour is it - just to get a more realistic dream.
    I've been trying to warm my then girlfriend/now wife to the idea of importing one for about the past 10 years! (I think I'm almost there!).
    Will have to go over on pretence of holiday!

Did you import/travel ?

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I spotted a gorgious blue GTA in Ballarat last year. As for upgrading the turbo, next time your driving it have someone watch the boost guage .... 99.95% of the time it's running negative boost anyway ... I've found with the old CX you rarely if ever get the chance to let her have a nice run for any length of time on boost (unless you do something cruel like swing a bloody great 800+kg(empty) car trailer off the back, that has a DS pallas sitting on top of it ).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Default Negative boost??

I have to agree about the boost going up towing heavy loads.
    Just ask my Saab 9000T....Towed a trailer with said Red GTA aboard, there were no hassles once underway. Drove at about 75% boost most of the time, especially when powering up hills etc.
    But one piece of advice to anyone who is ever thinking of towing a GTA or 610 for that matter. Make sure the trailer is secure, support the front of the trailer as you drive the car on.....it has the potential to be very amusing to any on-lookers
    Damm those GTA's have a LOT of weight in the rear
    I am sure all the staff at the freight depot were at the windows in stitches the day Alan and I picked up his car.
    Last edited by HONG KONG PUGGY; 30th December 2004 at 06:45 PM.

Default rearward weight

I've heard that - about the weight of GTAs/610s (not about the mirth at the freight depot - I have no contacts there ).
    I remember reading an article in Autocar from about 1990 (possibly earlier) that likened it to throwing a hammer shaft first.
    I think the author also mentioned something about "Porsche beater" which also got my attention. In the end he concluded that he couldn't work out exactly how it handled with that much weight in the rear but it did.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu17
    I think the author also mentioned something about "Porsche beater" which also got my attention. In the end he concluded that he couldn't work out exactly how it handled with that much weight in the rear but it did.
    Stu, I think I read the same article at some stage too. The writer was amazed a car so unbalanced on paper could be so good in the flesh. Testimony to Renaults superior engineering
    Chris
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY
    I have to agree about the boost going up towing heavy loads.
    Just ask my Saab 9000T....Towed a trailer with said Red GTA aboard, there were no hassles once underway. Drove at about 75% boost most of the time, especially when powering up hills etc.
    But one piece of advice to anyone who is ever thinking of towing a GTA or 610 for that matter. Make sure the trailer is secure, support the front of the trailer as you drive the car on.....it has the potential to be very amusing to any on-lookers
    Damm those GTA's have a LOT of weight in the rear
    I am sure all the staff at the freight depot were at the windows in stitches the day Alan and I picked up his car.
    You crazy bugger

You put the GTA on forward You should have backed it on !!!! You need nose drawbar weight, not tail weight on a trailer. It must have been a hell of a scarey drive home... Hmmm, possibly the GTA doesn't have a 124" wheel base like a DS, did you manage to get the rear wheels sitting over the trailer axles A DS **fills** the largest car trailers you can find end to end, the back wheels are just off the back edge of the trailer

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Stu
    It is red, and I was over there on holiday when I bought it off ebay.

Shane
    We did put the GTA on backwards, the problem being that the rear of the trailer was not supported, and so when I backed up the ramps the ramps just went down to the ground lifting the Saab rear end a metre off the ground by the towbar. The rear of the GTA is very wide, only fitting on the trailer with 10mm each side left to play with.

The GTA is fibreglass, but built to last and weighs in at 1180Kg. I did not see any of the 137 GTAs at Zolder with any cracks in the body. While jacking I have found it quite torsionally rigid.
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Quote Originally Posted by alan moore
    Stu
    It is red, and I was over there on holiday when I bought it off ebay.

Shane
    We did put the GTA on backwards, the problem being that the rear of the trailer was not supported, and so when I backed up the ramps the ramps just went down to the ground lifting the Saab rear end a metre off the ground by the towbar. The rear of the GTA is very wide, only fitting on the trailer with 10mm each side left to play with.

The GTA is fibreglass, but built to last and weighs in at 1180Kg. I did not see any of the 137 GTAs at Zolder with any cracks in the body. While jacking I have found it quite torsionally rigid.
    Hee,hee,

that's how I put flat Cits on the trailers ... only it's deliberate. I unhitch the trailer and as you winch the DS on the trailers nose goes wwwaaaaayyyy up in the air, this allows you to get a hydraulic cit sitting on it's bumpstops onto a trailer.

Certainly I'm glad I didn't have to drive the GTA on if it only had 1cm either side Then again it isn't my car... so what the hell, I'd give it a bash

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Forgot to mention it was only running on 4 cyl as the plugholes were filled with water from pressure cleaning, and the battery was flat and had to jumped. I only stalled it once backing it up. The winch could not reach the towing point a metre under the car.
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Thread Information