Past the ton
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Past the ton

Default Past the ton

Pulled in to put fuel in the XM last week. Standared ULP was 102.9. The car took $100.62 worth of fuel. This is the first time I have cracked the ton, Dame these cits can drink. The servo man couldn't belive the amount of fuel used. The usual questions followed What is it? How bigs the tank? Still I only fill 1/2 as often as most. It was a proud day

Advertisement
    Regards,

Jinny.

'15 DS 5
    '74 GS Club Convertisseur

Previous
    R12
    CX 2200
    Flouride
    R20
    R19
    '74 GS Club
    '91 XM
    '94 XM V6

UFO

Jinny

How you managed to fit 97.78l of fuel in a car that has an 85l fuel tank beats the heck out of me. 12l is a lot of fuel to fit in the filler neck even. You sure there wasn't something sloshing around in the rear footwell with a strong vapour?

Still, just buying 80l makes the servo attendants look at the car funny
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

my 7 series bmw has 100 litre tank that makes people look when you fill it from near dead empty

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by UFO
    Jinny

How you managed to fit 97.78l of fuel in a car that has an 85l fuel tank beats the heck out of me. 12l is a lot of fuel to fit in the filler neck even. You sure there wasn't something sloshing around in the rear footwell with a strong vapour?

MM...can see a Today Tonight/Current Affair story here???
    Is the 100L tank standard? Wow...may-be you should take a friend to that servo, fill their car and see if you can get 75L into a 60L tank??

1000+ Posts

Reminds me of the old Candid Camera sketch where they installed a huuuge tank in a Mini (in the days of serviced forecourts) and asked the guy to fill 'er up. The attendant got a bit worried at about 50 gallons...

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Icon2

The XM has a huge tank but those figures are off a bit....

Jinny

Craig,
    The keywords here are "standard ULP was 102.9". I believe Jinny would have paid 112.9 or there about for the 98 octane fuel.That would equal about 89 litres.
    When myself or Jinny refers to fuel prices we usually talk about the standard price as unfortunately they don't show the price of 98.
    Regards,

Garth.

Fixin' Cit's and got the shits.

'15 DS 5
    '74 GS Convertisseur

In the family
    '51 Traction
    '08 C5 X7 V6

Previous ownership
    '95 XM V6 Series 2
    '96 306 XTDT

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by XM Mechanic
    Craig,
    The keywords here are "standard ULP was 102.9". I believe Jinny would have paid 112.9 or there about for the 98 octane fuel.That would equal about 89 litres.
    When myself or Jinny refers to fuel prices we usually talk about the standard price as unfortunately they don't show the price of 98.
    Ding! Of course. Does Jinny like to help you change fuel filters? Must be picking up all the crud out of the tank. And changing a filter on an XM is such an easy job.... NOT
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

1000+ Posts

Ferrari 512BBI (its the old man that likes it, not me!)

TWIN 110L Tanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nate

TWIN 110L Tanks!!!
    Wow...super car running costs. Probably only gets 10mpg at best. Saw a report on the GT40 replica. At a track day, fanging it, average mpg was about 7 Thats rocking...but ti would be fun

Quote Originally Posted by nate

TWIN 110L Tanks!!!
    220 litres? A mere drop in the bucket! I'll see your 220 litres and raise you 230!

I used to quite often drive around in the Territory in a Toyota Landrcuiser trayback with a couple of 200 litre (44 gallon) drums on the back, together with the 50 litres or so in its puny tank .

Does that count? Probably actually did about the same mpg that the Ferrari manages too!

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Ding! Of course. Does Jinny like to help you change fuel filters? Must be picking up all the crud out of the tank. And changing a filter on an XM is such an easy job.... NOT
    Have heard this a few times before. Ok where is the fuel pickup in your tank? Is it at the top? Does it move up and down with the level of the fuel? Or like most cars is it on the bottom of the tank so you can utilise the fuel from full to empty.
    Therefore if you are drawing fuel from the bottom of the tank all the time would you not be constantly risking "picking up all the crud" out of the tank. To add to that I believe that modern refining techniques incorporate quality control and service stations have filters installed.
    Aside from all that thats why cars have fuel filters installed and a change interval specified. My
    Regards,

Garth.

'15 DS 5
    '74 GS Convertisseur

In the family
    '51 Traction
    '08 C5 X7 V6

Previous ownership
    '95 XM V6 Series 2
    '96 306 XTDT

Have heard this a few times before. Ok where is the fuel pickup in your tank? Is it at the top? Does it move up and down with the level of the fuel? Or like most cars is it on the bottom of the tank so you can utilise the fuel from full to empty.
    Therefore if you are drawing fuel from the bottom of the tank all the time would you not be constantly risking "picking up all the crud" out of the tank. To add to that I believe that modern refining techniques incorporate quality control and service stations have filters installed.
    Aside from all that thats why cars have fuel filters installed and a change interval specified. My
    Regards,

Garth.

'15 DS 5
    '74 GS Convertisseur

In the family
    '51 Traction
    '08 C5 X7 V6

Previous ownership
    '95 XM V6 Series 2
    '96 306 XTDT

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by XM Mechanic
    And next thing you'll be telling us you're an aircraft technician and know what you are talking about - how un Citroen Club member like of you. NEVER go on a rant if there is any chance you are actually knowledgable in the subject of the rant!

Point taken
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

I have space in the tanks in the 'cruiser for 265l, 95 in the main and 170 in the rear tank. Hurts when you fill it up but in the Outback the range allows you to bypass places like Tobermorey station which in 2001 was 1.50 per litre of diesel. I was able to aviod those and fill up at Alice for the bargain price of .95 massive saving.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cruiserman
    I have space in the tanks in the 'cruiser for 265l, 95 in the main and 170 in the rear tank. Hurts when you fill it up but in the Outback the range allows you to bypass places like Tobermorey station which in 2001 was 1.50 per litre of diesel. I was able to aviod those and fill up at Alice for the bargain price of .95 massive saving.
    How much did it cost to cart 265kg around with you though

That's a hell of a lot of fish 'n' chips to fill those tanks

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Default The Drop prices

You have cheap petrol and diesel which is balanced out by the great distances. In Sweden, 95 octane is usually about 2 dollars a litre at the moment. Diesel is about 1.80 a litre, but the road or car tax is three times higher for diesels as against the petrol equivalent. They also have GST equiv. on the total petrol price including all of the extra taxes.
    The car tax in general is to increase by 23 per cent for all vehicles from January 2005.(Only announced a few days before Chrissie)

Quote Originally Posted by cruiserman

Hey Neil, how is that CX of yours going?
    Have you got it street legal yet?
    Cheers....George 1/8th.

And if I said that every time I leave Queensland I have to use four Woolworths or Coles fuel dockets... well?

DoubleChevron, except when you have to tug it around in a trailer, it wouldn't cost but a few cents for a hundred kilometres to carry that extra weight. Driving around town when you're accelerating and braking all the time would be different, but on the open road, up and down hills, it all works out well.

Thread Information