206 rant
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 206 rant

Default 206 rant

I have been doing a bit of browsing this afternoon re the 206.

I have been comparing it mainly to the pulsar and the astra as i have spent considerable time in both cars, especially behind the wheel of the astra.

I hate the astra's eletronic throttle, it sucks, i like a pedal connected to something mechanical that makes the car go fast/stop, maybe i am old fashioned???

It seems strange the the 206 xr does not come with all wheel disc brakes? The xt is usually 3k more new and this to my knowledge is the only real difference?

Both the pulsar and astra come with 4wheel disc as standard?

Not happy, my 30yr old pug could do it why can't they do it now and still remain competative.

Advertisement

Maybe you could put rear discs on yourself.

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Quote Originally Posted by Shobbz
    It seems strange the the 206 xr does not come with all wheel disc brakes? The xt is usually 3k more new and this to my knowledge is the only real difference?
    The 1.6L XR's (3 door) come with 4 wheel disk brakes.

Troy.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyO
    The 1.6L XR's (3 door) come with 4 wheel disk brakes.

Troy.
    Did a bit more reading Thanks.

Its still interesting that Peugeot don't just bite the bullet and have entry point 4 wheel disc? Are drums that much cheaper?

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Did a bit more reading Thanks.

Its still interesting that Peugeot don't just bite the bullet and have entry point 4 wheel disc? Are drums that much cheaper?

shobbz
    Are discs that much better? In a 1.4? I doubt there is much difference at all. I think drums get a bit of a bad wrap at times.

1000+ Posts

Since you don't need the space, would'nt it be better to compare the 206 to Barina/Fiesta than Astra/Pulsar?

I can say with a bit of experience that the drums in the 1.4L 3-door seem fine, ABS would be nice though.

UFO

shobbz
    Personally I would try putting the discs on the car rather than yourself - I am trying to imagine how you would attach them

The Xsara Picasso we drove in France had rear drums and they worked fine with a full load at most times too.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by UFO
    Personally I would try putting the discs on the car rather than yourself - I am trying to imagine how you would attach them

The Xsara Picasso we drove in France had rear drums and they worked fine with a full load at most times too.
    Huge Canhounes??? I have no idea as to the spelling.

But as a legitimate question can it be done? Or would there be problems with abs and such???

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

nJm

Quote Originally Posted by Sergetov
    Since you don't need the space, would'nt it be better to compare the 206 to Barina/Fiesta than Astra/Pulsar?

I can say with a bit of experience that the drums in the 1.4L 3-door seem fine, ABS would be nice though.
    Hehehehe yeah, they worked quite well at slowing it down but ABS would have certainly caused less trauma for those of us with a clear view of where the car was heading at the time!

ABS has been compulsary in Europe for a while now I think... should be the same here.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Default 206 rant

I have been doing a bit of browsing this afternoon re the 206.

I have been comparing it mainly to the pulsar and the astra as i have spent considerable time in both cars, especially behind the wheel of the astra.

I hate the astra's eletronic throttle, it sucks, i like a pedal connected to something mechanical that makes the car go fast/stop, maybe i am old fashioned???

Both the pulsar and astra come with 4wheel disc as standard?

Not happy, my 30yr old pug could do it why can't they do it now and still remain competative.

shobbz
    Shobbzy,
    "I hate the Astra's electronic throttle" ? Didn't I read of a recall in a recent post re a problem with 206 "fly by wire" controls?

I agree with you on rear discs. Why all manufacturers don't progress to four wheel discs on all their models by now, they must be just as cheap to produce as a drum set up.

Air conditioning is still an option on some cars sold in Aus.??? That must amount to marketing suicide!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest
    Air conditioning is still an option on some cars sold in Aus.??? That must amount to marketing suicide!
    Let's you give away something "free" down the line

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    Are discs that much better? In a 1.4? I doubt there is much difference at all. I think drums get a bit of a bad wrap at times.
    The rear discs on the '6 is absolutely woeful when compared to the 205 drummies.....

The drummies on the 205 are just perfect on motokhana's.....but Peugeot should really improve the rear brakes on the '6 esp on the right hand-drive models cos it really needs it when doing tight right handers.

Sorry, to have gone off-topic a little but I agree with Lincoln here, drums do get a bad wrap sometimes. On a small lightweigh car, drums or disc on the rear doesn't really make much performance difference.

Cheers
    Billy
    Stock '87 205 GTi
    Stock '98 306 GTi-6

-Memories are good only if you don't have to deal with the past.-

I had drums on the back of the olde worlde 306 XT (95) and, whilst I had concerns about them after stepping out of a fleet of Corollas before it, they were excellent - especially compared to what I had experiences with before.

I honestly wouldn't be concerned about them.

Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Default 206 rant +

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    Let's you give away something "free" down the line
    Any manufacturer to even think of entering the Aus market without offering Air has been ill advised or haven't done their home work.
    Why not turf out some of the useless "must haves" such as, rain sensing windscreens.[Ask someone who has recently forked out for a replacement!]
    Trip computers. Multi cd sound systems. Sun roof and mustn't forget,cup holders. I think we might be able fit an air conditioner now.

The original thread. Drum brakes are OK of course but you can't beat the ease of servicing a disc system. Rarely do you hear of leaking caliper pistons plus being able to observe pad wear without dismantling parts is a plus.

The original thread. Drum brakes are OK of course but you can't beat the ease of servicing a disc system. Rarely do you hear of leaking caliper pistons plus being able to observe pad wear without dismantling parts is a plus.
    Well that's true, but drum brakes require less servicing to start with - especially if they are on the rear.

Of course, like you said, getting the rear drum off some late model fwd cars can prove to be quite troublesome, and assessing them is much harder than a quick glance when the wheel is off

All in all, I'm not convinced it's a valid reason to discount the purchasing of a new car, ie. I bought a Pulsar or an Astra because I could see that the rear brakes were not wearing anywhere near as quickly as the fronts
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

XTC

You'd think for re-tooling that discs on all models would be cheaper in the long run (and parts inventory), but there you have it, at least all models from $19,990 now get ABS and EBFD .. Find me a "Lion with the beach ball" under $20k with that. (at least they have 2 airbags now).

- xTc -

[edit] added attachment with 206 specs.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Any manufacturer to even think of entering the Aus market without offering Air has been ill advised or haven't done their home work.
    Why not turf out some of the useless "must haves" such as, rain sensing windscreens.[Ask someone who has recently forked out for a replacement!]
    Trip computers. Multi cd sound systems. Sun roof and mustn't forget,cup holders. I think we might be able fit an air conditioner now.
    Toyota is the number one selling car company in Australia. No AC as standard on their top two models, the Echo and Corolla. Are they ill informed? I think they're marketing geniuses myself.

re: drums, I've had a Nissan Micra with 4 wheels discs and ABS and one with drums. I preferred the drums. They braked better and had more feel... of course, none of this is scientically proven, I'm just talking out of my arse, but I wouldn't not buy a particular car just because it has drums.

Thread Information