Interstate car purchase - NSW Fees
  • Register
  • Help

Default Interstate car purchase - NSW Fees

Hi guys,

Advertisement

Has anybody ever bought a car interstate and then registered it in NSW? What fees are involved? Does the stamp duty still apply? Can I get a VIC rego rebate?

Im looking at a RSC tomorrow in Melbourne and what to know if the fees are more or less than purchasing a car in NSW.

I guess I could ring the RTA directly but that would be to easy, and plus its past 5pm now.

Any comments are apreciated.

Regards,
    Parry
    90 205 Gti Cherry Red(Track Car)
    2009 207gti
    1985 505gti (Shitbox Rally) Sold

PBs:

Oran Park: 1:27:9
    Wakefield: 1:05.6 (July 2015)
    Eastern Creek: 1:54 (8v) 1:48 (16V)
    Mt Huntley: 34.44 (2004 stock 205)
    Ringwood: 35.06 (30/10/2005)
    Winton: 1:33.6 (2017)

Fellow Frogger!

www.rta.nsw.gov.au

They always want stamp duty

spent ages surfing the RTA website but not mention of interstate transfers.

I do know I will need to get a blue slip as the car has never been registered in NSW.

But thats all I know.
    90 205 Gti Cherry Red(Track Car)
    2009 207gti
    1985 505gti (Shitbox Rally) Sold

PBs:

Oran Park: 1:27:9
    Wakefield: 1:05.6 (July 2015)
    Eastern Creek: 1:54 (8v) 1:48 (16V)
    Mt Huntley: 34.44 (2004 stock 205)
    Ringwood: 35.06 (30/10/2005)
    Winton: 1:33.6 (2017)

I don't live in NSW but have bought a few cars there so I can talk from a reverse perspective;
    It's not worth the hassles and agro to try & get the car in your name in another State & then try for a rebate. My best option has always been to get the vendor to leave the rego in place and sign a declaration dated and time stamped (ie) 11am Tuesday December 14th 2004 as an example so that a time & date acknowledging when I took delivery/assumed responsibility in case of a speed camera violation, and that I would re-register in my State within 14 days. I then ring my Insurance company and give them details of the car for Insurance purposes. That gives you Insurance from that time and in my case, I then get an insurance invoice payable in 30 days posted out to me. If I were to have a bingle, I'm covered, however if I decide to take the vehicle off the road for a while to say restore it, I simply don't pay the premium and let the cover lapse. I do the right thing and Insure with the company when the time comes though.
    Among the problems you will strike by trying to operate in another State is that Insurance rates vary wildly as in the case of NSW CTP insurance which is attached to postcodes.
    Using this system I have never had a problem apart from the time that I sold a car to someone in NSW and doing the right thing I left the rego in place and had him sign a declaration the same as I do that he would return the plates to me or cancel them in NSW.
    He chose not to & I have been contacted by the Queensland Transport asking why the rego is overdue so I have sent them a copy of the declaration which they are quite happy to accept and he has a little surprise arriving in his mailbox in the near future.
    The other option of course is to get a blue/pink/green or whatever bloody colour the RTA wants to call it and get a permit to drive the car home. The only problem with this is every probationary copper with a head full of academy theories will pull you up, read you the riot act for driving a car with no plates, want to give it a roadside RWC and make a general pain in the arse of himself all the way home.
    Failing that there's always trucking it back, but regardless of how you do it, you can bet there's no way in the World these thieving toerags in the RTA will even give you a refund at pro rata so you will end up getting little or nothing back.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

You may also get random checked for an identity check of the vehicle. It doesn't cost you anything except time.

Fellow Frogger!

You can improve your odds of not needing the identity check (which is hassle) by having all of the plates, purchase receipt and filled-in registration papers when you go to the rta. May still happen but whatever makes the selection does take into account that having all the right stuff means it is less likley to be a rebirthed car.
    unfrogged (for now)

Thread Information