CCCV Web Site beta testers desired
  • Register
  • Help

Default CCCV Web Site beta testers desired

Hi there,

I've been setting up the new Citroen Car Club of Victoria website, and I'm looking for feedback. We're still looking at look and feel and really tuning the web site, so expect rapid change over the next few weeks.

http://www.citcarclubvic.org.au/

I've uploaded the last six months of press releases from ATECO, who kindly supplied them to me last week. They may stay or go based upon feedback and the Club's wishes. I also have the *VERY HIGH* quality versions of these images.

Save the press releases, most of the content coming from the old site is old, but I'm hoping we'll have new content soon. Newsletters in PDF form will be up when I've had a chance to talk to Tom about them, but you may need to be a CCCV member to get at them.

Note: you can comment on any article.

Advertisement

Does the site work for you? If not, what could be improved?

Andrew
    2003 C3 Exclusive Panoramique auto

Looks great & loads very quickly.

I might try Geeklog on a site myself

UFO

Andrew

Congrats on getting CCCV back on the 'net. It's a pity the predecessor let the club down so badly.

Something you may have noticed that I have done with CCC NSW site is to wait 12 months for upload of PDFd magazines. That way current information is only sent to members. Old information usually gets out into (or came from) public domain after some time any way.

I find the site a little confusing at present, but I should not throw stones...
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by vanderaj

Does the site work for you? If not, what could be improved?

Andrew
    Wow you've put alot of time and effort into the site Andrew, It's looking good nice clean banner, and icons very swish

My thoughts would be to have a dedicated 'Home' page without the articles, just some nice blurb - benefits of becoming a CCCV member blah blah... and maybe a pic or two.

I haven't checked but do you have to be a CCCV member to make comments? I would be concerned that you might get some un-wanted crap appearing and you would need to be monitoring this feature - could become a chore??

The site loads fast, great effort and a real asset to the Vic club - on'ya

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

over all design is very nice, and it loads well, on DSL anyway.... my only thing i could ping it for is the fact that it may be a little bit cluterd looking

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Andrew,

absolutely brilliant !!!

I can see you have put an enormous amount of time and effort into this.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

XTC

Using a Blog like tools means a lot less coding ... something I'm looking at changing too (still doing the old hard way). The Banner is clean ... far too clean, the site needs a good banner to give it more character .. let me know if you want Photoshop or Illustator work done.

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    The Banner is clean ... far too clean, the site needs a good banner to give it more character .. let me know if you want Photoshop or Illustator work done.

- xTc -
    I think its personal preference.
    I really like the clean look of the current banner.
    Very understated and the eye is drawn straight to the citroen logo.
    sorry...I'm not a big fan of airbrush style banners

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno
    I think its personal preference.
    I really like the clean look of the current banner.
    And that's my opinion - and I'm offering help.
    Quote Originally Posted by mistareno
    Very understated and the eye is drawn straight to the citroen logo. sorry...I'm not a big fan of airbrush style banners
    The actually logo is not very clean at ALL .. looks like the chrome effect was added THEN shrunk to the small size .. hence the non-smooth like look (due to bit-wise rescaling). Also how you blend GIFS into a banner important, just offering help, you know how hard it is to do websites Mistereno.

- xTc -

Now this is a .sig

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by vanderaj
    I've been setting up the new Citroen Car Club of Victoria website, and I'm looking for feedback. We're still looking at look and feel and really tuning the web site, so expect rapid change over the next few weeks.
    http://www.citcarclubvic.org.au/
    Bottom line ...

Great to see others taking the effort give the local French car clubs a web presence ... Congrats.

- xTc -

Now this is a .sig

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    And that's my opinion - and I'm offering help.
    The actually logo is not very clean at ALL .. looks like the chrome effect was added THEN shrunk to the small size .. hence the non-smooth like look (due to bit-wise rescaling). Also how you blend GIFS into a banner important, just offering help, you know how hard it is to do websites Mistereno.

- xTc -
    You must cringe at some of the images on this aussiefrogs site

Sorry to hijack but is there a preformatted open source web site software, like Geeklog & osCommerce, just for some text/ images & perhaps a photo album?
    Even a decent, free or inexpensive web template site (ones I have seen are poor)...

gibgib,

I like jAlbum for photo galleries. But that's more static than you probably have in mind.

I also like postNuke / phpNuke - but be careful of their security issues. You may also like to look around for portal software which integrates with vBulletin, so you can integrate a forum block on the front page.

Andrew

Thanks for everyone's advice and feedback.

The Citroen logo is actually graphically filthy - it's just a transparent PNG of my car's bonnet logo. I just made all the blue and black pixels transparent using the eraser and hand tidied the rest... badly.

I need to put DCSI's logo in the banner, but I would take help to get something there - but please hang in there as I know the club has feedback for me on the banner already (for which I am awaiting either an e-mail or phone call).

I want a dynamic front page, as it reduces the pointlessness of a lot of brochure web sites. I want to drive traffic there by hopefully having at least a few new articles there every month.

Yes, I sent mail to Tom about delaying Newsletter PDF's prior to posting this thread, and it's my preferred option as it requires the least amount of work for me. Tom still has the Publisher files, so until I get them, I can't create the PDFs without scanning them (very inefficient).

Anyone can post comments. I don't think that'll be restricted. As we run SPAMX with geeklog (an automated de-spammer), it's unlikely that spam comments will be posted to the geeklog.

Andrew

Administrator

G'day,

Had a good look at the site tonight. Looks really good, just one bit of feedback, I was imagining I was a prospective member and trying to find out things like membership costs and how to join etc and they are either staring me in the face (and i'm going blind) or they are hard to find/not online yet.

I also reckon that the 'club stuff' page should be the home page...unless there is going to be a dedicated home page of course...

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by gibgib
    You must cringe at some of the images on this aussiefrogs site
    I live ... but I know how hard it is to get good looking images (and the tricks).

The pccwa website is no master piece and missing lots (like a login area - a better photo gallery etc) .. but it's clean and it works (the DHTML menu is the ultimate flexibility).

It's all about attracting members .. and for us it is working, MOST enquiries originate from someone reading the webpage and the stats have gone from a couple hundred people seeing it a month to quite few thousand now.

- xTc -

Now this is a .sig

Fireworks is my poison, then the export wizard within the program. I know no better, tried others but always go back.

I thought DHTML was a cop out (tacky) when i first used it but it's widely accepted & easy to navigate.

Your pccwa website is good.
    I may have to poach that DCSI logo/ banner.
    Did you get it from the DCSI site or did you create?

Thread Information