Reducing costs of paint touch ups.
  • Register
  • Help

Default Reducing costs of paint touch ups.

Most Cits from the BX onwards are painted in colours only available in two pack (think $140 a litre) so it stands to reason that some owners, particularly those prone to running into low objects like bushes, toy cars and bikes and trolleys lying on their sides in shopping centres, look for cheaper options.
    This guy in the UK has obviously had some prices that have scared him and gone for a cheaper option but......I think what he saved on the cost of paint he just might have lost in resale value.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=4511067444

When top offer for you car is under a quid, you'd have to think you were doing someything wrong I methinks.

Alan S

Advertisement
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I was out yesterday touching up a heap of stonechips on the Xantia.

Tell you what, the paint might be strong 2pack, but they sure as hell on managed to spray it on with about 1micron thickness. There's bugger all paint on the car, every scratch is near through to the undercoat.

Strangley enough though the car still looks quite good unless you look really close. I imagine all Xantias are the same.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I should get Adrian to post a pic of the front bumper on the BX after he king hit that big mongrel dog at around 110. I was in the front and he took him out on my side of the bumper & it was so big I was looking straight at his big boof head when he clobbered him; can't believe he never flew through the bloody windscreen. but I can assure you that the paint I put on that front bumper when I painted it is well over a micron. Might have been what gave it all its strength.

Alan S

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    Most Cits from the BX onwards are painted in colours only available in two pack (think $140 a litre) so it stands to reason that some owners, particularly those prone to running into low objects like bushes, toy cars and bikes and trolleys lying on their sides in shopping centres, look for cheaper options.
    This guy in the UK has obviously had some prices that have scared him and gone for a cheaper option but......I think what he saved on the cost of paint he just might have lost in resale value.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=4511067444

When top offer for you car is under a quid, you'd have to think you were doing someything wrong I methinks.

Alan S
    I always thought that shape Xantia was a svelt looking car, but now I know that you can Commodore a Cit. It reminds me of the 2 tone VK-VP seriers Calais.....hmm...- Chris
    ... ptui!

Quote Originally Posted by CHRI'S16
    I always thought that shape Xantia was a svelt looking car, but now I know that you can Commodore a Cit. It reminds me of the 2 tone VK-VP seriers Calais.....hmm...- Chris
    .............or the early Skylines with that silverfrosted lower doors and guards.

Alan S

Just wondering if being a UK car, the price reflects the amount of remaining steel left in the pale blue painted portions of the car

Believe it or not, but over there Cits from BX onwards are almost rust free in the majority.

Alan S

Fellow Frogger! dave from bendigo's Avatar

A great way to fix small stone chips is you go to the chemist and ask them to make up a nail polish the exact match to your car, it works amazingly well and does not peel off or anything you even get a perfect little brush.
    "Some minds are like concrete...all mixed up and permanently set."

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Yep,

all i did was buy one of those universal paint 'touchup' brushes that is just some paint in what looks like an eyeliner bottle. It's close to the original dark blue, being a very dark blue any dark colour is close enough. If I was to try to paint the bonnet properly without a paint booth and baking booth I'd make the car look a whole lot worse with a bonnet that looks quite different to the rest of the car

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I'm beginning to wonder about you two; nail polish, eye liner??? hope it wasn't to match your eye shadow and it didn't clash with the lipstick you were wearing at the time...

Alan S

No need to worry, but it sounds as though you may be a bit unsure of your own identity, some people take a while to come out.

that was a joke if you have taken it to heart, also I'll add that the colour match sticks that come with polish don't work, they look like white out on a white car.

Thread Information