Targa Tassie Routes
  • Register
  • Help

Default Targa Tassie Routes

Can anyone suggest some good, interesting routes along the many for Targa Tassie? Going there for 3 days or so at the end of the year.

Advertisement
    Karl
    -----------------

Everybody says the Sideling, but I have never been there. The East Coast route is very nice, at least tyhe southern half that I know well. I spent a lot of my P plate time driving Grasstree HIll which is very nice with a couple of tight turns and a few really nice sweepers.
    The Domain stage inHobart is really good, but a low speed road when open to traffic and fairly narrow.

If you are going down the Huon follow the Friday route which takes in Woodbridge road, narrowish, twisting, up and down hills, and very fun indeed, The Oyster Cove-Nicholls Rivulet road, just as twisting but wider and smoother, fun...., and the Cygnet stage which goes over near Wattle hill out near Petcheys Bay and back over near Silver HIll which is a very nice country lane type drive ( just don't try it with a car on an unbraked car trailer if you don't want to get brake fade ) and you finish up with a drive around Ridgeway Park which is basically the foothills of Mount Wellington. You go through some of the nicest scenery inTasmania on that drive.

For a 3 day trip, I would suggest coming down the East Coast, doing the Huon, and either driving up te West Coast, although I have not been right up there, or going up through the Midlands. I would suggest the Midlands, either through Richmond, Colebrook, and out near Oatlands and make sure you stop at Oatlands and Ross, or up the main highway from Hobart and turn off near Kempton to go through Bothwell, the Great Lake region, over the hills to Deloraine ( very pretty town) and up that way to Launceston. the lakes road is very nice but partly unsealed.

If you had an extra day, the tasman Peninsula is a very nice drive, go to Port Arthur, then to Nubeena and came back via Premaydena, Kaoota and back to Taranna.
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

thanks a lot for that info! I think we're doing a 4 day trip now, well still 3 because one will be spent on the ferry... definatley look into what you have suggested!
    Karl
    -----------------

Hi Carl,

Itís great to see a main islanders coming down to try out some of our awesome roads (in cars designed for them )!
    I can highly recommend a trip around the state. Three days is probably just about right to do this, unless you want to have a look around Hobart. You canít go wrong with anything recommended by pugnut403.
    If heading to Hobart I can highly recommend (If not compulsory) heading west just past Burnie & then turning inland onto the Murchison Hwy. This takes you down one of the most famous stages through Hellyer Gorge. This road is nice, windy, & long! This road takes you down to Queenstown, via even more windy mountain roads. A word of caution if it wet although at this time of year you will be right. (The west coast is where Tassie got it wet weather reputation from). The road heading out of Queenstown to Hobart is a hillclimb stage with ď99Ē bends. I donít think it literally has 99 bends but it sure feels like it ! The road then continues onto Hobart.
    If you decide to do a lap of Tassie I would recommend to go counter clockwise as all the hillclimbs (or should I say mountain climbs) go that way but coming down them is fun too.
    On the way back from Hobart the east coast road is very scenic as the road follows closely to the sea with almost guaranteed good weather. The roads are more open with flowing corners. As you get north turn onto another famous road over elephants pass to St. Marys. This is very tight & windy. Try not to get stuck behind a caravan at the bottom as there is never any opportunity to pass safely the whole way up & they usually travel at 40kph up there (speaking from experience here ). Or keep heading North to St. Hellens & then head west over the mountain range to Scottsdale.
    If you decide to spend a day up north around Devonport or have some time to kill, there are lots of great Targa stages within an hourís drive. I love the Devonport, Riana, & Natone stages (I often drive this one on the way home from work). If you ever want a tour guide .

Will

Thanks heaps guys, I think we're landing at Devonport on the 1st... Motel at Burnie, A10 to queens town the next day, qeens town a night, then head on to hobart for 2 days, come back up to devonport. There will be a support car as well simply becuse its not going to happen to drive around that with 4 people and luggage, while I'm pretending to be Richard Burns

Obviously in Hobart we will spend the 2 days in surrounding areas... meaning pretty much half the island. So very excitied about this!
    Karl
    -----------------

I would suggest that if you're staying on the West Coast, stay at Strahan rather than Queenstown, it's much nicer. Better accommodation and meals available.

If you want a couple of day/half day trips from Hobart:

a) Head west to Strathgordon and the Gordon Dam past Mt Field National Park, that's a fun drive;

b) Head south through Kingston, Margate, Snug, Kettering and stop at Peppermint Bay in Woodbridge for something to eat. Keep heading round to Cygnet, through to Huonville, then head south through Geeveston and visit the Tahune Airwalk;

c) Head down the south east to Port Arthur, Nubeena etc.

d) Go up the east coast to Freycinet and walk over to Wineglass Bay.

Enjoy the drive!

Cheers

For a day trip from Hobart, the Huon one is fantastic. You could always cross the hills from woodbridge or from Oyster Cove. Or you could go around the botton, across the soodbridge road, uo to Oyster COve, across to Cygnet and fron there up to Huonville etc. Highly reccommended.
    If you want to go the Tasman Peninsula route, I would suggest crossing the river at the BOwen Bridge, turn off the Highway around Glenorchy, it is well signed, and follow the road over Grasstree HIll to Richmond, then buy something from the Richmond Bakery (they are good) and cross the bridge and go over the hill to Sorell, then go down to Port Arthur, then Nubeena, and around back to Taranna. That is one hell of a scenic drive, I did it my self about a week ago ( not for the first time, or the last) and I can thouroughly reccomend it.
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project

Also, what are the availabilities of PULP petrol? preferably 98RON?
    Karl
    -----------------

Quote Originally Posted by storms_of_fate
    Also, what are the availabilities of PULP petrol? preferably 98RON?
    Caltex Vortex 95RON is the best you can get in the North of the state. I'm not sure if anything's better in Hobart but I don't think so. Pugnut403 might be more helpful there.
    Generic PULP can be found at most service stations but it doesn't seem much better than ULP & yes they are nearly all still "SERVICE" stations. You will rarely have to leave the car unless you have to pay with a card. The attendent will fill you up! I even know a sevo nearby that will wash your window & check the oil while their at it .
    BTW I'm paying about $1.12/L at the moment .

Will

Wow really? SERVICE stations still? man the last time i had been to one of those was like 12 in Townsville... hmmm looks like i might need more than one bottle of Octane boost. So caltex is the best huh? Vortex i have used before, not too bad for 95RON. with octane boost would be about 97. Well as long as there are plenty of them along the roads it should be fine i don't really want to carry a jerry can with me. At sydney is about 93 for ULP, 101 for 98PULP thanks mate!
    Karl
    -----------------

My wife and I spent a couple of weeks driving around Tasmania last year. It was so good to be able to take the Clio. I even saw another silver RSC in Hobart! (Anyone here? Tasmanian plates.)

As for petrol there seems to be no 98 Octane but the Clio was fine on normal 95 Octane PULP which seemed to be available everywhere I went, even small towns on the west coast.

Try and get to cradle mountain Karl.

Adam

If you want 98 RON in Hobart you have to order and buy a 200l drum from the fuel wholesalers at around $1.40/l. Only people with race cars use it.
    PULP is available from almost any service station, and yes, many of them are real SERVICE stations, although quite a few will only come out if you don't start pouring your own wthin 30 seconds or so.
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project

Thread Information