Caltex 98 Vortex?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Default Caltex 98 Vortex?

Anyone tried it out yet? How's it perform in your car?

Advertisement

Yes , during the recent Optimax shortage.

Can't complain.
    No knocking, perhaps a little difference in power, economy the same!
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

I've been using it for a couple of years in the 16V without hassles. It's a bit hard for me to compare it though as it's almost the only breed of PULP I can get here. I have had a couple of sus batches from Independents selling it under generic names but some of those can also be guilty of buying petrol from the "Phantom Tankers" so it could be anything and I did get a bad reaction from the local Woolworths outlet that might be that they still had a bit of that other crap they used to sell left in their tanks.
    I'm talking about Vortex; is there a higher octane version & if so what's it called? Not the same surely

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    I've been using it for a couple of years in the 16V without hassles. It's a bit hard for me to compare it though as it's almost the only breed of PULP I can get here. I have had a couple of sus batches from Independents selling it under generic names but some of those can also be guilty of buying petrol from the "Phantom Tankers" so it could be anything and I did get a bad reaction from the local Woolworths outlet that might be that they still had a bit of that other crap they used to sell left in their tanks.
    I'm talking about Vortex; is there a higher octane version & if so what's it called? Not the same surely

Alan S
    Yes Alan,
    The newer Vortex is 98 octane
    It is being launched this week-end I believe. I only know because I heard a sport report saying Russel Ingal would be running his Falcon this weekend with the number 98 on it for the launch.
    Haven't tried the new V yet. All other PULP's don't appear to differ much, no problems here. (wouldn't notice too much difference I don't expect in a stock 2 litre pushrod Pug though. )
    Chris

Yes, watching Ingall's car now, he's got 98 Vortex written on it.

I've always had inconsistent performance from Optimax in Sydney.

I've been trying it for a few weeks now (yes sir, yes sir, 3 tanks full), and I haven't really noticed any changes from the regular stuff (Vortex Gold/95) - either in response or fuel economy. To be fair though I haven't been able to stretch the 180's legs in the last few weeks either.

I'm hoping the situation will be rectified soon
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

i've been runing ampol gold in my car for about a month... last filled up 2 or 3 days... not sure wether the ampol gold is vortex or vortex 98... but its one of the two... anyway it runs allright no knocking no pinging so i give a thumbs up to vortex

Ampol Gold is Vortex Gold, ie. 95 RON.
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206
    Ampol Gold is Vortex Gold, ie. 95 RON.
    heh, well i've been runing it because its been cheap latelly... i might go to my caltex servicwe station and give vortex 98 a go

Petrol's funny stuff and even more so on older French cars than the later ones.
    My 16V will run alright on standard ULP but is nicer on PULP. Go to Optimax or Ultimate and you hardly notice any difference.
    By contrast, my old Trs ran very inconsistently on LRP, wouldn't hardly run at all on ULP but ran great on PULP.
    The CX ran rotten on ULP, acceptable on LRP, fairly well on PULP absolutely brilliantly on Ultimate/Optimax, like a different car.
    From that, I reckon the older bigger cars were designed for the higher octanes which is why we notice so much of a difference, whilst the later computer controlled ones tend to run acceptably on most fuels regardless of octane rating. I don't even bother putting the 98 stuff in my 16V anymore as I can't feel or hear any benefit and the fuel consumption doesn't seem to benefit either. I would say, putting this into the context of Pugs, that more difference should be felt in a 504 than in say a 306.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Fellow Frogger!

Icon7

Re the fuel discussion, I have tried most of the premium type fuels over several years.

We run both an STI & GTI (505 leaded versions). Shell Optimax was the first of the premium fuels here, followed by BP Ultimate. The BP here has always been more expensive, as well as the least impressive (less economy and not as smooth).

In recent times, Caltex Vortex has also arrived, although I have previously used this fuel elsewhere. It is marginally better than Optimax (fuel consumption and smoothness), and is as good as Ampol Gold.

Whilst in Adelaide last year, due to the absence of Optimax (not sold in that State), I was using Mobil Synergy 8000. This is also a very good fuel, which I would use more often if there more outlets. This fuel gave me the highest distance travelled for highway driving in the S2 GTI, being 767 km, with just on three litres remaining in the tank.

High mileage STI & GTI engines will have sufficient carbon on the piston crown to increase the compression ratio. This will cause detonation on standard fuels, and could ultimately damage the engine. The leaded GTI engine, with a CR of nearly 10:1, really needs the better fuels with an Octane rating of ~98 for long term protection.

In both cars, we use Flashlube (1ml per litre into the tank) as additional insurance against valve seat wear.

Cheers,
    Kim.

Quote Originally Posted by orestes
    heh, well i've been runing it because its been cheap latelly... i might go to my caltex servicwe station and give vortex 98 a go
    As per the link I posted, only Sydney is getting the 98 version of Vortex.

1000+ Posts

If only Sydney has the Vortex 98, then that solves one problem.

Years ago my then cars ran poorly on Caltex and I have avoided that brand ever since, but when there was a recent spate of high prices and I had a safeway 4cents a litre discount docket I filled the Fuego with standard unleaded, then kicked myself that i didn't try the vortex instead.

My car has been running well with standard unleaded with the occasional fill of Optimax when the price drops (I'm running a Hi Clone device in the inlet that gives good performance on standard unleaded), but the fill of Caltex standard unleaded was disastrous had to top it up with Optimax to stop most of the misfiring and popping

So if 98 isn't in Melb. it saves me even thinking of using Caltex again!!

Ken

I have been using Vortex (which is actually 96 RON) in the RSC since I bought it. Have used a couple of tanks of Optimax and Ultimate, and to articulate the differences felt would be splitting hairs!

Ken, that 'Hi Clone device'... that would be like a circle minature fan blades sitting under each carby throat?

If that's the thing, do you really find that it works?

Quote Originally Posted by PugS16
    I have been using Vortex (which is actually 96 RON) in the RSC since I bought it. Have used a couple of tanks of Optimax and Ultimate, and to articulate the differences felt would be splitting hairs!
    Thank you for your comments, however, the thread is regarding the NEW 98 Vortex.

Quote Originally Posted by PugS16
    Seriously, arguing whether Vortex Gold is 96 RON or "a minimum of 95 RON" (as is quoted on Caltex literature) - that is splitting hairs

Other than that, the new Vortex 98 stuff doesn't really do much at all in my 180, and I'm seriously considering the value of the stuff.

For example, for years now (in Sydney at least), Vortex Gold was always a guaranteed 5c/l more than ULP. Early this year it suddenly jumped to 6c/l and now since the introduction of Vortex 98, it's up to 7c/l, with Vortex 98 running at a massive 11c/l as I am typing this

For reference, Optimax has been running at a steady 8.8c/l difference over ULP.

If they seriously expect people to pay through the nose for these products, they must be of some benefit, surely, perceived or otherwise.

What's that all about, Caltex

Maybe we are finally starting to see the effects of the Supermarket/Fuel Company wars.
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Yeah, Shell has always priced it's Optimax at a level above ULP. BP and Mobil move around a bit more, but is what I use. I'm not a fan of Optimax, too many bad batches of fuel for my liking

1000+ Posts

Default Slightly off topic

Ken, that 'Hi Clone device'... that would be like a circle minature fan blades sitting under each carby throat?

If that's the thing, do you really find that it works?__________________

Ray
    Yep thats it, I transferred it from my daughters old car, and you could immediately notice the better performance of the Fuego.

I had been running it exclusively on Optimax, but refuse to pay over the dollar a litre for it, so when the price went up I went back to standard unleaded and the Fuego with the Hi Clone ran just as well on the normal unleaded. I'd say this has something to do with better delivery of air/fuel mix in carby.

I didn't notice too much difference as far as fuel economy, it just ran well up until I filled up with the Caltex standard blend of unleaded, then it started popping and spitting until I topped up with Optimax so I presume that the normal Caltex is pretty low quality fuel.

Now to get back on topic I will give the Caltex 98 RON fuel a go if and when I can buy it

I am not a fan of Shell, don't like their pricing politics, but find the Fuego runs o.k. using fuel from any Shell outlet in Victoria.

Ken

Icon12

My C3 loves it the diff between the 2 premium fuels is negligable....

Fellow Frogger!

I have run all my cars on 96 RON petrol.

I wouldn't even bother with 91 RON in French cars after my 309 refused to even run on it, I didn't want to take the risk with the 504. I know the 405 will run on 91 but it will knock.

Personally I haven't seen the point in 98 RON, I've tried a bit of BP and Mobil 98 RON but didn't noticed any difference. On a turbocharged vehicle I would definetely run 98 RON but for most N/A motors except for highly tuned ones I don't think its worth it.

BDG

Default premium un- leaded fuels

for everyones info, their are only 2 , The other 98 octane un leaded fuels made and sold here in terra australis, they are 1/ shell optimax ,refined by shell @ corio geelong victoria , & BP ulimate , refined @ kwinana west australia. These 2 refineries in terra australis are currently the only ones that can refine fuels to the current EUROPEAN standards , of which are applicable down under from 1/ 1/ 2005. The other premium- un-leaded fuels refined & or marketed here, are only pretenders.

BDG

Icon13 premium un- leaded fuels

Shell & BP currently are the only 2 oil companies in this country that can produce 98 octane premium un-leaded fuel to EUROPEAN QUALITY standards.

Quote Originally Posted by BDG
    Shell & BP currently are the only 2 oil companies in this country that can produce 98 octane premium un-leaded fuel to EUROPEAN QUALITY standards.
    BDG...So are you saying that while Mobil and Caltex are producing these 98 fuels, they aren't the quality of Shell & BP? I don't disagree with your comments, as I can't claim to be an expert, but are your claims founded or hearsay??
    Just asking because in todays environment of litigation any claims a company makes about a product must be able to be substantited by fact or risk a big loss.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information