Friendly french car drivers
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Icon9 Friendly french car drivers

Today I was driving past my local service station, and saw that petrol was only 97c for premium, so I decided to pull up. About 5 minutes later a guy in a 405 pulled up on the other side, by that time I’d put in my moneys worth of fuel and walked back out. I got in my car and gave him my nod of approval to the sound of gday ... this must have been the first time I’ve had that friendly remark from a fellow French car driver in about a year at least and probably the first time I’ve heard it whilst driving my 205... it's good that I actually got to meet another friendly French car driver, but it seems sad that this is a dieing way .... how long will it be before everyone sees owning a French car as nothing different to owning a Holden or a ford obviously not that long, as I drive past enough new pugs and a few cits nearly every day without any friendly gestures ... the other day i even saw a Renault Megane CC that i must say look really nice ibn the flesh, and was about to stick both hands and a foot out the window to say hello, but got no response

Advertisement

Zen

I think it's just you, orestes. A four door 205 is just too freaky! j/k

I stopped by a Night Owl (convenience store) and saw a fellow 206GTi180 driver and said, "Nice car!" Talked for a bit about the car and mentioned AussieFrogs to him, and low and behold, we now have Industrie. Cheers, mate!

I give most french car drivers a smile and a nod/wave if not compliment them on their car and I get a positive response out of most if they see me.

Rich

codito ergo sum == code monkey

'04 206 GTi 180
    '95 306 S16

Fellow Frogger!

In Auckland I find people of older Peugeots/French cars are friendly and will acknowledge you, but people driving newer French cars don't even know you exist.

I guess people driving the older cars tend to have an interest and passion in their car, whilst people who buy new French cars tend to see them as simply the right car for them in terms of price, looks etc and they don't buy into the 'French car thing' so much.

Up until recently when I was driving my 504 Ti I would always exchange gestures with other 504 owners. In the 405 some people will respond to you but its not soo common.

I drove past an Mi16 with big wheels and the guy had a good look at my car, I felt a bit small in my meagre SRi.

There will always be a connection between French car drivers but as they become more popular in the new car market I think this connection may become diluted.

If you choose your car as a fashion accessory your unlikely to have much need for its pedigree.

ededweller

If you choose your car as a fashion accessory your unlikely to have much need for its pedigree.

ededweller

all sing now.... I like big butts ...

/me busts out the rap

I like big butts and I can not lie
    You other brothers can't deny
    That when a girl walks in with an itty bitty waist
    And a round thing in your face
    You get sprung
    Wanna pull up tough
    Cuz you notice that butt was stuffed
    Deep in the jeans she's wearing
    I'm hooked and I can't stop staring
    Oh, baby I wanna get with ya
    And take your picture
    My homeboys tried to warn me
    But that butt you got
    Make Me so horney
    Ooh, rump of smooth skin
    You say you wanna get in my benz
    Well use me use me cuz you aint that average groupy

I've seen them dancin'
    To hell with romancin'
    She's Sweat,Wet, got it goin like a turbo vette

I'm tired of magazines
    Saying flat butts are the thing
    Take the average black man and ask him that
    She gotta pack much back

So Fellas (yeah) Fellas(yeah)
    Has your girlfriend got the butt (hell yeah)
    Well shake it, shake it, shake it, shake it, shake that healthy butt
    Baby got back

Rapping in a 205... sounds like something out of the Ali G movie, Innit? Aye...
    Watch out for the R5's though

I often wave or talk to other french car drivers, especially at service stations, or car wash, etc. The owners of the newer ones frequently look at me as though I am mental (well you may say, though that's beside the point) Owners of the older ones will often wave or have a chat though.

Even if you don't care much for the pedigree, no need to be rude though more friendliness on the road would probably be useful, especially around here, after all, you're likely to be stuck alongside them for quite a while
    "You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles... Radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat." - Albert Einstein

Xantia Activa CT - Chock full of upsy-downsy goodness!

I got cheered by some lads in a bluebird tonight after they saw my TYPE R sticker.

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Cub

Yeh cant agree more with that...was talking to a friend of mine recently and he is thinking about getting a 206 GTi...but obviously cause it just looks great and was once a WRC champ...youngsters these days!

However rest assured everyone...if you see a white 205 GTi busting around Strathfield and Bankstown in Sydney, gimme a friendly wave!
    CUB

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Hi Guys,

well I was picking up some pizza the other day and someone came over and talked to me when I was in the Xantia (talk about bloody stunned There's gotta be a first for everything). They own 2 405 Mi16's. We chatted for a while and I mentioned I had a 'few' other Cit's as well. They asked if it was the 'gold' CX they see around ... nah it's the red one ... "The turbo with big wheels " Yep that's the one

So there's lots of poeple out there that do notice you. You just will not realise.

I was speaking to my father "So you have a caravan in your front yard do yo u??". Apparantly several people at his work had told him the house with Citoens now had a caravan sitting out the front. Then the next day, he said someone had spotted a Citroen pulling a caravan out of a shed over in Alfreton, would that be his son Bloody hell, you wouldn't want to be getting upto no good. I get bloody spotted no-matter what I do.

Maybe I better get a white magna, or a red hyundi

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    I was speaking to my father "So you have a caravan in your front yard do yo u??". Apparantly several people at his work had told him the house with Citoens now had a caravan sitting out the front. Then the next day, he said someone had spotted a Citroen pulling a caravan out of a shed over in Alfreton, would that be his son Bloody hell, you wouldn't want to be getting upto no good. I get bloody spotted no-matter what I do.

Maybe I better get a white magna, or a red hyundi

seeya,
    Shane L.
    I bought my first car when I was 17 and it was a little unique in Dubbo - a 58 Morris Major (pre fins - like the Wolsley 1500). Anyway, Mum and Dad were well known in town and had quite a few friends who were cops. From time to time Mum would mention that perhaps I shouldn't have been driving quite so fast on such and such a road a few days ago Of course I could get away with nothing because half of town knew who I belonged to

BTW Shane, it is a white magna AND a white hyundai. White hyundais are a hoot in Sydney traffic coz every third person has one - so you have traffic derbies - well I do anyway Mind you they are so bland that I reckon the drivers of the others don't even recognise that another one is near them.

Hyundai drivers definitely do not wave.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

when i lived in the highlands i couldn't get away with anything

the first car i was drving aorund was a 404 sedan and there were only a couple of others in the highlands at the time and they were owned by an older bloke so everyone knew who i was

then i had a 604 and of course it was the only bronze 604 running aorund the highlands

my folks always knew where i was and what i was getting up to

now i am well known here and having the only red 306 in town and a GTi-6 to boot and the only 604 in town

one bloke once asked me how many rovers i had and i looked at him dumbfounded and said i have pugs, he said oh is that what they are, i know a bloke out so and so that has some really old ones of them and another bloke out the other way that has some old ones as well

simply 'mazing it is

the froggy alliance will only die off if people like us on here and other enthusiasts stop owning and driving them
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

So you found those 203s and 403s because my cars were in your yard!

I want a commission!

XTC

I get the occasional wave/nod from a GTi driver, but the females just ignore you (like as IF I'm trying to pick them up - man they give themselves tooo much credit) ... And CC drivers don't even realise you're in a Pug.

But I say, the more often you wave at them .. eventually they'l get the idea, so don't stop just cause you got rejected, get back on that horse.

- XTC -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    So you found those 203s and 403s because my cars were in your yard!

I want a commission!

no i found those cars because i was driving mine around
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Originally posted by XTC206
    I get the occasional wave/nod from a GTi driver, but the females just ignore you (like as IF I'm trying to pick them up - man they give themselves tooo much credit) ... And CC drivers don't even realise you're in a Pug.

But I say, the more often you wave at them .. eventually they'l get the idea, so don't stop just cause you got rejected, get back on that horse.
    Got to agree with that...

And those women... you're doing 100kmh on the opposite side of the freeway, they see you and pretend you don't exist... like you say, as if!

You mean "let them cop the depreciation... we'll buy it 18 months old!"?

Hey,

Not having a car, i give the odd wave or thumbs up to "older" french cars, Usually i am not seen or they tend to ignore but i do get the occaisional nod back or wave!

Cyas Stalled
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by orestes
    ... the other day i even saw a Renault Megane CC that i must say look really nice ibn the flesh, and was about to stick both hands and a foot out the window to say hello, but got no response
    It has ever been thus Orestes! - see na wave

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

I've found it seems to be the drivers of the older cars that wave or acknowledge you.

The trouble is too, once you get talking to someone about cars, there goes the next hour or two.

I had a young fella on P plates in a 206 pull up behind the car next to me at the lights the other day. The car had bling bling shiny wheels and was full of boys wearing their caps backwards.
    I reversed back next to his car

me: nice pug
    yf: wha
    me: nice peugeot
    yf: ta
    me: is it a GTI?
    yf: yep
    me: ok, is it a 180?
    yf: na, its a 206

By then the lights turn green and we drive away.

BTW there is a female driving a 206 GTI around Bathurst that will talk to you about Pugs

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila. - Mitch Radcliffe

Originally posted by 2 pugs
    .....me: ok, is it a 180?.....
    Commonly known as 'Too Much Information'!

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 2 pugs
    me: ok, is it a 180?
    Probably thought, "180? I managed a 360 the other day..."
    Last edited by Stuey; 5th December 2004 at 12:21 AM.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by STALLED
    Hey,

Not having a car, i give the odd wave or thumbs up to "older" french cars, Usually i am not seen or they tend to ignore but i do get the occaisional nod back or wave!

Cyas Stalled
    Hahaha.... mental image of you running in the left lane waving at "older" French cars.....brmmmm brrrrmmm - honk - brrrrmmmm brrrmmm......

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Quote Originally Posted by 2 pugs

BTW there is a female driving a 206 GTI around Bathurst that will talk to you about Pugs

wouldn't be a lowered black one by any chance would it
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    wouldn't be a lowered black one by any chance would it
    Yes it is.

Have you seen it around when you've been to Bathurst

I guess it was too much info Ray. I should be thankful that he knew it was a Peugeot

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila. - Mitch Radcliffe

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information