Weird and wonderful world of car dealers
  • Register
  • Help

Default Weird and wonderful world of car dealers

Hi

Time to share all these weird, tragic, funny, illogical experiences that you had when visiting a dealership

A friend of mine went for a test drive at a Toyota dealer. The saleswomen came with him so that he does not run away with the vehicle, I guess he would have had a bonus if that was his intention. She was giving directions all the time, turn left here, turn right, so he was like "I feel like I am going for my "Ps" again. Test drive took 5 minutes, later he went to Hyundai dealer where they treated him properly and test drove for 30 minutes and ended up buying a Hyundai on the same day.

Tragic Toyota?

PS: Moderators not sure of this is right forum. Move it if necessary

Advertisement

Went to the Honda dealership once (think it's on Nepean Hwy somewhere) to test drive an Integra Type R. It was pretty easy to get a test drive as we could tell the salesman was busting to go for a thrash - he "hadn't driven one yet". Anyway we hop into a brand spanking new integra with 20 ks on the clock and the guy, who was german and obviously thought he was the schuman, proceeded to redline every gear (8grand) weaving in and out of traffic up Nepean Hwy at about 160kmh. Then encouraged us to do the same so we could get a 'feel for the car'. The moral of the story - don't buy an ex-demo! It was a bit of a laugh, guess you had to be there tho.
    Blood Orange 2006 Renault Megane Sport Cup
    Silver 1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    Green 1973 Alfa Romeo 105 GTV 2000

I work in the car trade.......
    These are a couple of my favourites, that I was witness to.

1. My colleague (Carlo)had this guy in who said he wanted to buy two cars. They drove them, sat down and haggled out a deal, and signed. The guy had to nick out to his car to get the chequebook. He walked out and kept walking. We never saw him again. It was hard to stop laughing.

2. I originally set up the Citroen on Church dealership in Melbourne. I remember one older guy one day early on in the dealerships history was interested in a Xantia. He had a BX to trade. I asked him if he wanted me to have a look at the car, whereupon he started on a tirade about how I would only value it at $X thousand and how that was a ripoff and how us car guys make money at both ends of the deal and blah blah..... well he cracked the shits and walked out....
    I promise you, without a word of a lie I did not say anything. He valued the car himself. Didn't like what he told himself, got angry and walked out. It was hilarious.

3. I can remember one guy walked into the Alfa dealership. We had no idea how we were going to sell the outdated (superceded)but still new Alfa Spider. One day a guy walked in and said
    .... Is that the old model?
    Yes I said.
    Good he said. And promptly bought it.
    This is still good for a laugh 4 years later.
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

moosey

Many dealers don't have insurance cover if the salesperson doesn't accompany on the test drive - a good reason to go with the customer! Mind you, I've heard of more than one TD situation where the salespeople was told, in no uncertain terms, to "get out of the car" on a drive, whereupon the "customer" sped off, never to be seen again in said demo!

I once went along for a test drive with my brother in law. We were driving a Camry. As we were going along in the centre lane my brother in law said to me, "It seems to be pulling to the left a bit.". Before I could get out a word the salesman piped up that all cars are required by law to do that. If you fall asleep at the wheel then the car will steer you off to the left hand side of the road for safety, so you don't go into oncoming traffic.

I was crippled with laughter so I couldn't ask about the parked semi or the telegraph pole. I couldn't even offer a napkin to wipe his chin.
    Regards,

Garth.

Fixin' Cit's.

'19 308 GTi
    '15 DS 5
    '74 GS Convertisseur

In the family
    '51 Traction
    '08 C5 X7 V6

Previous ownership
    '95 XM V6 Series 2
    '96 306 XTDT

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XM Mechanic
    I once went along for a test drive with my brother in law. We were driving a Camry. As we were going along in the centre lane my brother in law said to me, "It seems to be pulling to the left a bit.". Before I could get out a word the salesman piped up that all cars are required by law to do that. If you fall asleep at the wheel then the car will steer you off to the left hand side of the road for safety, so you don't go into oncoming traffic.

I was crippled with laughter so I couldn't ask about the parked semi or the telegraph pole. I couldn't even offer a napkin to wipe his chin.

always a good idea to take gumboots along with you so you can walk through the shite without getting your legs dirty
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XM Mechanic
    Before I could get out a word the salesman piped up that all cars are required by law to do that. If you fall asleep at the wheel then the car will steer you off to the left hand side of the road for safety, so you don't go into oncoming traffic.
    I was told that once about a BMW 3 series I had when I was a youngster. You want to know the worst of it? It pulled right and the incompetent aligner reckoned it was because it was a German car, normally LHD etc. etc. Laugh? I almost did...

Oh, and Glide Suspensions of Newcastle Street Perth sorted it within half an hour. Onya Glide! (Plug). Been there with every car I've owned since.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by skp115
    Hi

Time to share all these weird, tragic, funny, illogical experiences that you had when visiting a dealership

A friend of mine went for a test drive at a Toyota dealer. The saleswomen came with him so that he does not run away with the vehicle, I guess he would have had a bonus if that was his intention. She was giving directions all the time, turn left here, turn right, so he was like "I feel like I am going for my "Ps" again. Test drive took 5 minutes, later he went to Hyundai dealer where they treated him properly and test drove for 30 minutes and ended up buying a Hyundai on the same day.

Tragic Toyota?

PS: Moderators not sure of this is right forum. Move it if necessary
    Don't knock it! I went to 2 different Peugeot dealers when I was test driving for mine.

The first got me in the car, drove me to a point and then switched and took me on "the prescribed test drive course", no deviations were allowed. The manager of the store told me it was an Occupational Health and Safety thing where she had to know where her salespeople were at all times.

The second took the car off the lot onto the road and had me in there from the word go, I could drive where I wanted and for however long I liked. The salesperson got a call from the dealership after a while, so I guess that settles the OH&S issues!

No prize for guessing which of the two dealers I went to in the end...

Nick

When on the market for a new Scenic local Renault dealer gave my 14 yo all the info on how "gadgets" worked , gave my wife the keys and suggested she drive to all the places she normally goes to see how the car suited - no time or place restrictiction - upon return there was no pressure just an invitation to her that I could do the same even after hours - I guess that is having confidence both in your product and how people make decisions

We purchased car in colour of choice _ they brought exact model down from Melb to view - and after sales service is also very good

Thread Information