The continuity man mucked it up...
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Default The continuity man mucked it up...

Continuity is important in movies and TV shows... if there is a flaw in continuity, then the focus of the viewer is taken away from a story...

For instance, a woman would readily notice if a man appears in a scene and his tie's crooked... and then an instant later, without being straightened it's straight.

Advertisement

Men tend to notice other things, and I notice cars. I guess a lot of us would.

Tonight I was watching Through My Eyes and noticed something... though it's set in the period 1980 to 1987, scenes included a very old and tatty 404 wagon steadily growing into the ground beside a Ranger's home.

Now, though I guess that means there's a 404 wagon wherever the set was for the making of those scenes, it's not logical to have a car of late sixties (or maybe early seventies?) vintage in such a state by the early eighties, is it?

Is anyone going to contact the makers of the show and try to find out where it is, by the way?

Icon6

Dont know if anyone has seen it or not but there is an old Peugeot blue in colour in the Just cars advert on TV. Im pretty sure there is anyhow?

When is that ad on? I've never seen it...

UFO

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    When is that ad on? I've never seen it...
    That's cause you're always on the bloody 'puta on that aussiefrogs site
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

More often on the Nostalgia Forum...

Mostly, however, I find TV fairly unattractive these days. I'm weaned off it a bit, and yes, mostly due to these fora.

Now, if only I can find a way to get some work done...

Oh... yeah... back to the topic... I wonder if it's possible that somebody involved in the making of the show owns the 404 and conned them into letting him put it there... take the wheels off, rough it up a bit... it was straight, after all, and a part of the way they made it look abandoned was to have the bonnet up. A bit of dust, the job's done.

Maybe we had a Peugeotphile on the payroll?

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

i actually think it was a 403 to be honest as the bonnet wasn't flat like a 404 bonnet

i do know someone who taped the "show" so i'll grab hold and take a bit more notice
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Huh?

A 403 bonnet on a 404? I don't think so...

Huh?

A 403 bonnet on a 404? I don't think so...

i can't recall where i said 403 bonnet on a 404 but anyway

i'll be getting the tape later on to study it but from what i saw the back windows in the wagon were radiused on the corners ala 403 as compared to more angular ala 404

if it wasn't a pug you may well find it was something pommy or yank

i'll leave my judgment at this time open till i study the footage but i will note that i did see it and from what i saw the back end was definately more rounded then a 404 wagon
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

oh just to note

most people would have known i would have been watching as to the nature of what it was all about anyway so i did take a little notice of what was in the sets
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Maybe you are talking about a different wagon to the one I mean...

This was a 404 wagon (nothing but a 404 wagon!) and it was settled into the dust near the Ranger's house with both right hand wheels off it. It was green, the bonnet was open.

I have it on DVD, but I don't need to look at it again... I know my 404s!

Originally posted by pugrambo
    oh just to note

most people would have known i would have been watching as to the nature of what it was all about anyway so i did take a little notice of what was in the sets
    Seeing as I phoned you right in the middle of last night's episode, I wouldn't have thought so...

But I guess your housepet would have been watching!

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney
    Dont know if anyone has seen it or not but there is an old Peugeot blue in colour in the Just cars advert on TV. Im pretty sure there is anyhow?
    Yeah, i've seen it. It's an ad for Just Cars, so therefore aimed at people my age (the fully sick demographic). It has 1 404 to begin with & that flashes into some 'lebbo-fied' MR2 with neons.

If you really want to see the add, id suggest you'd have to watch the OC or other 'Fully Sik' programs.

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    oh just to note

So were your housepets cheering for the alleged bad guy?

I wonder if they will ever know the true story?

BTW - I refused to watch the whole thing. I was sick of hearing about it within months of it happening.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by UFO
    So were your housepets cheering for the alleged bad guy?

I wonder if they will ever know the true story?

BTW - I refused to watch the whole thing. I was sick of hearing about it within months of it happening.

my housepet did what they are best at

slept through the whole thing

not going to start anything here but the skull that was shown in the film was of a modern dog not a canine familiaris

i will explain the difference if anyone is interested but what i don't want is a forum battle on the what did it and why as it doesn't interest me as i have lived it most of my life especially with what lives in this house

i will stand corrected on the car

it was a 404 wagon

one i'd say that was laying around somewhere and was dragged into postition
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

There's no doubt, however, it wasn't there in 1980... is there?

Sack the continuity man, I say!

it could have been

like a 65 model, used in the outback, blown head gasket in say 68, left to rot next to a shed with the c'mon mate bloody french car gunna costya to fix that scenario so there it stays till 12 years later when a child dissappears

the sun out there will weather a car fairly well i reckon
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Hey... if it was a '65 model, it would have only been three years old in 1968!

I still think it might have been staged, not a wreck at all... the clue being the bonnet open.

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    it could have been

like a 65 model, used in the outback, blown head gasket in say 68, left to rot next to a shed with the c'mon mate bloody french car gunna costya to fix that scenario so there it stays till 12 years later when a child dissappears

the sun out there will weather a car fairly well i reckon
    My father's first 404 wagon, a 67, was well and truly dead by 1980, killed by a life under the salt spray of Sydney's northern beaches. Not only was it structurally unsound, but it pretty well LOOKED dead too, by the mid to late 70's.( He was never very good at looking after cars). In those days it was never a good idea to buy a car that came from anywhere east of the Pacific Highway, I used to think ;-) It had a fair share of mechanical issues too. I'd already replaced clutches, gearbox selector forks and a head gasket for him before I headed off to Alice Springs in 1975.

There were plenty of dead 404's by 1980, killed by rust or mechanical failures, in the wreckers yards for me to get parts from. The green ones over here at least were often early private imports from memory too.

I don't know anything about this particular show, but out in the back blocks I've seen plenty of cars left to rot after less than five years, ans some less than one!. They get stuck in a bog and burn out the clutch or the auto, or get caught in a flood, or cook the motor when a hose fails, or they run into a kangaroo. Its too much trouble and expense to get the thing onto a semi to take it to the nearest town a couple of hundred k's away. You stick them in a shed, or under a tree, intending to get around to dealing with it, but something always gets in the way.

I reckon the continuity man can keep his job ;-)

Cheers

Rod
    Last edited by Rod Hagen; 25th November 2004 at 07:07 PM.
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Hagen
    My father's first 404 wagon, a 67, was well and truly dead by 1980, killed by a life under the salt spray of Sydney's northern beaches. Not only was it structurally unsound, but it pretty well LOOKED dead too, by the mid to late 70's.( He was never very good at looking after cars). In those days it was never a good idea to buy a car that came from anywhere east of the Pacific Highway, I used to think ;-) It had a fair share of mechanical issues too. I'd already replaced clutches, gearbox selector forks and a head gasket for him before I headed off to Alice Springs in 1975.

There were plenty of dead 404's by 1980, killed by rust or mechanical failures, in the wreckers yards for me to get parts from. The green ones over here at least were often early private imports from memory too. I reckon the continuity man can keep his job ;-)

Cheers

Rod
    knowing what early 404's were like i thought it was very likely especially out there in the middle of no where that a car could be left for dead

onya Rod

as for the bonnet open i don't think says anymore than the things cactus

no clue to be had there
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

I know of one road safety commercial that relied on the doors and bonnet being open to give the impression that a perfectly straight car had been crashed...

Must look and see if there are windows in it.

UFO

I don't know anything about this particular show, but out in the back blocks I've seen plenty of cars left to rot after less than five years, ans some less than one!. They get stuck in a bog and burn out the clutch or the auto, or get caught in a flood, or cook the motor when a hose fails, or they run into a kangaroo. Its too much trouble and expense to get the thing onto a semi to take it to the nearest town a couple of hundred k's away. You stick them in a shed, or under a tree, intending to get around to dealing with it, but something always gets in the way.

I reckon the continuity man can keep his job ;-)

Cheers

Rod
    That's why every now and then another DS pops up in a farm shed. Sometimes it is as simple as tightening a pipe or topping up the LHM and away she goes again. I wish that one would appear for me that fits all our requirements (eg Chapron, hydraulique gearchange )
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Well, I think you're talking about the farmer mentality here... not the sort of thing that would pervade in places like Ayres Rock...

Of course, the scenes might well have been shot somewhere else.

But I went back and looked at it again. There is not a bent panel, and all the glass is intact. Dust and 'makeup' are, to my way of thinking, the means by which that car has been made to look dumped.

Have a look for yourselves... I wonder if I can get a screen capture from the DVD?

Well, I think you're talking about the farmer mentality here... not the sort of thing that would pervade in places like Ayres Rock...

Of course, the scenes might well have been shot somewhere else.

But I went back and looked at it again. There is not a bent panel, and all the glass is intact. Dust and 'makeup' are, to my way of thinking, the means by which that car has been made to look dumped.

Have a look for yourselves... I wonder if I can get a screen capture from the DVD?
    I spent 5 years of my life living in Central Australia, Ray, and another five travelling there for at least a week every month, between 1975 and 1985. Not sure what the story is there now, but I don't think there was anywhere in Austarlia where you could find more cars prematurely "set aside" like this than in the NT at that time.

Cars do big mileages on bad roads up there. We used to knock up a 100,000 kilometres a year in the organisations Toyota 4x4's. At this sort of level of usage even a ten year old 404 would have hit the million k mark!

THat said, I spent a lot of time at Uluru in the late 70's and I didn't see any abandoned 404's there.

Plenty of significantly younger falcons and holdens that had had their day though! The nearest bit of sealed road was the Stuart Highway, over 200k's away, and even when you got there if you were heading for Adelaide, it was corrugated dirt from the border to Kulgera, with more dirt in patches between there and Port Augusta. It also got mighty hot and, at times, mighty wet.

Cheers

Rod
    Last edited by Rod Hagen; 26th November 2004 at 09:57 AM.
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

UFO

THat said, I spent a lot of time at Uluru in the late 70's and I didn't see any abandoned 404's there.
    Cheers

Rod
    That's 'cause the dingos sold them to the Arabs

(God I crack me up!)
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

in a much kinder environment i found a 15yr old 404 sedan out the back of marulan once that was absolutely stuffed

it was also parked next to a 203 wagon at the time that was also very much dead

so seeing a 404 in the 80's parked up and rotting away in the outback to me seems feasible

it's only a 404 and if it was 'staged' then someone probably has it back in their yard by now or if it was bought for the film then it is probably sitting out the back of a studio somewhere or crushed by now
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information