new car plates (Vic)
  • Register
  • Help

Icon5 new car plates (Vic)

Expecting to pick up my new pug next week, and looking for any advice on number plates. I'm in Victoria. I'm not looking for personalised plates, but have family members of Chinese background who put a lot of value in lucky numbers etc..

Can dealers provide a choice of plates?
    If I want to change my plates, how can I see what numbers are available? I've tried the VicRoads web site and couldn't see anything there except the costs.

I can ask the dealer, but just looking for some info first. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Advertisement
    '04 307 XSE Touring Auto - Diablo Red
    '06 206 C Auto - Diablo Red

Quote Originally Posted by richardhayward
    Expecting to pick up my new pug next week, and looking for any advice on number plates. I'm in Victoria. I'm not looking for personalised plates, but have family members of Chinese background who put a lot of value in lucky numbers etc..

I can ask the dealer, but just looking for some info first. Thanks for any help you can provide!
    Richard -- on the contrary, thank you! Every little bit of superstition (among people who I'd always thought would know better) that contributes to consolidated revenue means that much tax that I don't have to pay!

But it's in the vanity plate area where some people really pay -- about six months ago, I saw the number-plate "KN" advertised for $3000. Don't know whether anyone bought it, or bought it at that price ... I like to think it's on a ratty old Morris Minor somewhere (I've seen "REX" on a Mazda 323 ...).
    MY15 208GTi

previously:
    MY10 Sportium HDi6 and 1.6L auto
    MY99 206GTi
    MY96 306XSi auto
    MY02 Clio 1.4L auto

1ére grenouille:
    MY5? Simca Aronde 90A

QUICK! MORE BREAD, MORE CIRCUSES!!

This should reduce the average tax burden for Victorians next year by up to $0.00001.

Seriously folks is there a web site to check available plate numbers?

Fellow Frogger!

unfortunately, you'll have to ring and find out. $155 will get you a normal blue on white plates which has not been released. Running at the moment is TC? won't be surprised if TDA is already out.

If you want "personalised" different coloured background and text, the price depends on how many alphanumeric combo, between 3-6, 3 is more expensive and 6 is cheaper.

Check www.vicroads.vic.gov.au

It used to be, that if you went, cap in hand, with your dealers registration application, to DMV Reg., and asked very nicely, the good person behind the counter might offer you a choice of the next twenty or so number/combinations to come up. If none of these were to your liking you could enquire as to how long it would take for the num/com to be more favourable to you. You would present at that time only to find that that num/com had gone through 3 hours ago.

So now, take flowers, chocolates, wine, gift voucher (dinner for 2 at an expensive restaurant), tell them i'ts for your ageing relative, keep conversation going for as long as possible, preferabley at neighbourhood DMV, but remember they are weary/harassed people so be very polite and understanding, remain obsequiese yet firm.

And don't arrive 3 hous late.

cheers edgedweller

ps they probably can't help anymore.

immy, that specifications thing is just the run around, if its broke it's broke, if it's bent it's bent, they're not measuring in microns for this info. Most/all mechs. grease sqeaky wheels, ask to see you motor, what can you see?, who did he talk to?, what's his diagnosis, on what evidence, get him to show you, what's wrong? Unless you strike up some rapport with this fellow I'd be loathe to let him balance the rods or competently advise you on installing hot up equipement. See if you can't move the motor to someone with a bit more ability.

edgedweller
    Last edited by edgedweller; 25th November 2004 at 01:58 AM. Reason: wrong thread

Icon10

Thanks edgedweller and blue2th.

I get the picture and don't see myself begging for plates, will try through VicRoads.

I had a similar situation, where I wanted to get a set of Future General Issue plates (as VicRoads likes to call them) and put them on my new Pug.

So, once I had sorted out the paperwork for the car I rang VicRoads, asked if the future general issue plate I wanted was available (which suprisingly it was -- and I'm sure in your case it shouldn't be too hard to get a plate which ends in 168 for example ), paid for it over the phone with credit card, got them in the mail a few days later. (I suppose you could pick them up if you wanted to get them faster...)

After I got the plates organised I rang the dealer and told them I'll be supplying my own plates and they re-jigged the paperwork.

Reasonably straightforward... even for a novice like myself
    2002 206 GTi -- Not afraid to go offroad!

I've got PUG-889, not a bad number with both those 8's in there.

I'm sure you'd prefer something with a 1 and 4 though, certain death

can you get 888-888

Thats some serious luck attached to that

I got a previous issue plate a few months ago - OMI-16O - just went into Vicroads and enquired, found out the plate had been off the road for six years so snapped it up - for $170
    Blood Orange 2006 Renault Megane Sport Cup
    Silver 1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    Green 1973 Alfa Romeo 105 GTV 2000

Quote Originally Posted by richardhayward

Can dealers provide a choice of plates?
    If I want to change my plates, how can I see what numbers are available? I've tried the VicRoads web site and couldn't see anything there except the costs.

I asked my dealer if he could make sure of a certain combination on the plates of mine a few months back.

The dealer told me no, but I could go to VicRoads and ask for a swap and the cost is miminal.

Either that or I could go to VocRoads and tell them I have a car that's about to be registered and that I'd like to choose the plates. I believe that there's a fair amount of paperwork involved in this option, or that is what I was lead to believe.

Good luck either way!
    Nick

Icon10 dealer number plates

OK ... here's the deal :

1. the dealer had a range of around 20 number combinations which I could choose from.
    2. the lucky combination I was after was already taken, so the next best was OK with me.
    3. selected the number over the phone and dealer confirmed on the spot.

p.s. We are now up to TDZ.

Dealer was very helpful with the superstitions! Thanks also you guys for all the advice.

Vehicle is now insured

Thread Information