Driving School- French Cars?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Driving School- French Cars?

Hey,

As i am on my "L" plates, my parents would like to send me to a driving school. I was just wondering if anyone knew a driving school which uses french cars (preferably not a 206- cant fit!). The car must be a manual as well!

Thanks heaps froggers!

Advertisement

Cyas Stalled
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

where abouts are you???

Ahhh sorry bout that, im in SYD

Cyas Stalled

Quote Originally Posted by STALLED
    Hey,

As i am on my "L" plates, my parents would like to send me to a driving school. I was just wondering if anyone knew a driving school which uses french cars (preferably not a 206- cant fit!). The car must be a manual as well!

Thanks heaps froggers!

Cyas Stalled
    Stalled of all the defensive driving schools in australia (not racing/wanna be schools) I know require you bring your own car. - Chris
    ... ptui!

Yeah i know what you mean about bringing your own car, maybe i wasnt clear enough, i wanted tuition???

Cyas Stalled

If your parents own a froggy most driving dudes will go in one of your cars with you and you save about 5 bucks a lesson.
    My g/f did all her lessons in her own 306.

Dave

Yeah i know what you mean about bringing your own car, maybe i wasnt clear enough, i wanted tuition???

Cyas Stalled
    Ahh more information is a wonderous thing, there is a Learners driving instructor in my are who used to use a 306 ST, but I havn't seen her for a while. Perhaps do a ring around? - Chris
    ... ptui!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    If your parents own a froggy most driving dudes will go in one of your cars with you and you save about 5 bucks a lesson.
    My g/f did all her lessons in her own 306.

Dave
    Sadly, my parents do not share my passion of french cars!

Cyas Stalled

Sadly, my parents do not share my passion of french cars!

Cyas Stalled
    Sounds like you need to educate them

Dave

Mate,

I used to own a Driving School in Surfers Paradise and I can tell you that whilst they will take you in your own car, you will achieve nothing by doing so. Without the advantage of dual controls, you'll take more lessons than normal so even with a discount for using your own car, in the long term it costs more.
    As an example, when I started students off, I used to take them in the back streets for about 20 minutes just to make sure they knew how to steer & then I went straight down the Gold Coast Highway and smack through the middle of Surfers; there's no way in the World I would have done that in a car without duals. That gets the jitters out of the learner & puts them miles ahead to start with as it gives them confidence.
    It also gets the testers jittery if you're a bit nervy on the test and some testers will fail you because they think you have been privately taught; whether you can drive or not is immaterial. In any case, why risk damaging your own car? I don't mean by having an accident, but things like reverse parks and hill starts as well as general car control is all wear & tear on the clutch.
    Personally, I'd just go with the local bod with his Corolla or Hyundai as he'll have his markers tagged on his car for the reverse parks (which is another trade trick) and in the long term you'll be so glad you did when you get your own frog and see how much nicer they are to drive. It'll give you some incentive.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Yeah, I remember hopping out of the driving guys barina and back into a Bx, oh what a difference.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    Yeah, I remember hopping out of the driving guys barina and back into a Bx, oh what a difference.

Dave
    I remember severly scratching a plastic hub cap on the magna I took my test in.

504 to small toyota something?????. Then on day of test told that small toyota is stuffed as another student had done a 5th to 2nd somehow and stuffed the gearbox.

So off i go in a big magna ie big car that had power, as compared to 504. Didn't corner as well as 504.........Hello S curve, only just scraped the gutter, COLLISION = FAIL. This car had not been converted yet, so it was just me and a fairly powerful large car!!!!!

The hub can was not happy. Was very annoyed about taking test in totally undriven car.

Was inclined to show instructor a REAL collision. Ahh my days as a learner driver....... they still aren't over I hit a ford parking at Indro shopping town today not a good day.

Essantially I agree with getting dual system cars.

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Icon10

I didnít get lessons with a instructor until I was almost ready to take the test and the duals controls shitted me cos the clutch was sticky and the accelerator was rattly and you couldnít feel what you were doing.

Donít bother doing the test with the instructor they cost about $100 for the test and if they touch there pedals its a instant fail (and they do), you'd be more relaxed in your own car anyway. i tryed tests in both

Im not saying donít get lessons, you definitely need a few even though they still didnt tell me you cant go straight at a right hand turn lane i was told "if you dont know where to go, go straight" I FRIKEN WENT STRAIGHT!!!!! Morel of the story, do it in your own car and dont listen to the instructor

Cheers

UFO

There is a driving school in Wollongong that has a Mini Cooper S would you believe? Just what a learner needs, a hot hatch with a supercharged engine
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by camlv
    I didnít get lessons with a instructor until I was almost ready to take the test and the duals controls shitted me cos the clutch was sticky and the accelerator was rattly and you couldnít feel what you were doing.

Donít bother doing the test with the instructor they cost about $100 for the test and if they touch there pedals its a instant fail (and they do), you'd be more relaxed in your own car anyway. i tryed tests in both

Im not saying donít get lessons, you definitely need a few even though they still didnt tell me you cant go straight at a right hand turn lane i was told "if you dont know where to go, go straight" I FRIKEN WENT STRAIGHT!!!!! Morel of the story, do it in your own car and dont listen to the instructor

Cheers
    Ahh, no; I think the Moral(s) of the Story might be to learn correctly rather than think you already know it all. Go for your test in the car you've been learning in not just take a School car, first time drive on test day, so if there's a problem prior to the big day you either get it corrected or learn to live with it, being with the driving school you also would have been put over the test course on several occasions so the problem wouldn't have arisn in the first place and being in a dual controlled school car with an experienced instructor, you would have been put through that and more complicated positions several times prior to the test.
    Option #2 to going straight ahead in a turning right lane that learners often make is to panic & stop.
    The true moral of the story was that you weren't ready to be given a licence if you made a mistake like that and needed to be told what to do. Sorry.

Alan S
    Last edited by Alan S; 22nd November 2004 at 09:58 AM.

Originally posted by Alan S
    Ahh, no; I think the Moral(s) of the Story might be to learn correctly.....
    Absolutely...

.....rather than think you already know it all.....
    ...even more so!

.....you also would have been put over the test course on several occasions so the problem wouldn't have arisen in the first place.....
    Yes, of course, you'd be taught how to get a licence instead of how to drive a car!

.....and being in a dual controlled school car with an experienced instructor, you would have been put through that and more complicated positions several times prior to the test.
    Option #2 to going straight ahead in a turning right lane that learners often make is to panic & stop.
    The true moral of the story was that you weren't ready to be given a licence if you made a mistake like that and needed to be told what to do. Sorry.
    Agreed... processing the information starts with thinking about it all while riding with mummy and daddy at age ten...

Of course, today's kids find that this is a good age to start believing they already know more than mummy and daddy...

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell

Yes, of course, you'd be taught how to get a licence instead of how to drive a car!

Sadly Ray, I have to agree; it's at this point that Mum & Dad should get into the act.....after the driving licence hads been obtained.

Mums & Dads if they are decent drivers who know a bit of what driving is all about as opposed to those who think if they've been driving for 30 years without an accident that's good enough to qualify as a good driver, can settle them down and put a bit of polish on them. However, when I had the Driving School, I was often contacted by parents wanting me to give their offspring "a couple of lessons and get them tested; they're good" and have had the hair stand up on the back of the neck when they've popped the clutch in 100 metres from a corner or gone straight through a Give Way without either looking or slowing or the favourite, just pulling straight out into traffic or lane changing without looking and Dad has reckoned they were good safe drivers. Driving above their abilities were another.
    Unfortunately there's a few too many Mums & Dads teaching kids when they should be taking lessons themselves and anyone who's never been a driving instructor might find that hard to swallow.

Alan S

Originally posted by jester_fu
    Anyone who's ever watched how roundabouts get used/misused should be able to vouch for that. But then... I guess if you don't know how to use a roundabout, you wont see the problem.....
    And merging lanes...

.....My parents taught me the basics (how to use clutch, change gears, not speed, turn corner!) but sent me to an instructor the instant I had reasonable control of these aspects so that he could 'finish' the job.....
    I'll bet you don't mean he was there to teach you to 'speed'... whatever that means... let's go back, okay?

.....how to use clutch, change gears, not speed, turn corner.....
    Surely you mean 'watch your speed' or maybe 'drive at the correct speed'?

The root of so many problems today... people don't understand what this means...

No, the most dangerous things people do is get into relationships... and there's no formal or informal training at all for that!

I think you missed my point about speed...

1000+ Posts

The car you learn in is really of little consequence. Most/All leaner cars will have had any life beaten from them by being driven exclusively by leaners. Brakes, clutch, steering will all be lifeless. I really don't think it will matter what sort of car you use.

I started off with parents, and had always known my mother was an atrocious driver (Camry - she and the car deserve eachother). So I spent most of my time with my dad. Before going for my test I had about 4 lessons with an instructor. He said he could see I could drive well enough, but that I would need work before going for the test.

"I'm not here to teach you how to drive, I'm here to teach you how to pass the test" he used to say.

Someones conspiracy theory about instructors using the duel controls during the test is absolutely absurd. You could sue them for it - Unless you were about to trash the car or something, in which case you would have failed already anyway probably.

As with anything, only use an instructor you can trust. Oh, and my dad always says a probabtionary lisence simply allows you to learn by your self - true I reckon.

Hey,

Cheers people for the advice!

How much would i expect to pay for tuition and then once i obtain my p's how much would an advanced driving course cost?

Do any of the French car clubs offer these days and would i be welcome to come even though i am not a member?

Thanks heaps!

Cyas STalled

Hey,

How much would i expect to pay for tuition and then once i obtain my p's how much would an advanced driving course cost?

Do any of the French car clubs offer these days and would i be welcome to come even though i am not a member?

Thanks heaps!

Cyas STalled
    at the time i was going for my liscense i was having lessons for $45, this included a 1 hour lessons plus pick up and drop off. I beleive by law you need 6 paid lessons with an instructor (at least in queensland) so 6x45 = a minimum of $270...

the more lessons you get in with an instructor before your test the better, no matter how good of a driver you think you are...

i drove well enough before i went for lessons, but lessons with a proper instructor help you refine things, such as in my case at the time, coming up to intersections and roundabouts to quickly
    Last edited by orestes; 22nd November 2004 at 07:37 PM.

nJm

If your parents have AAMI comprehensive insurance on their car(s) you can do a free 'advanced driving course'. This isn't about taking the racing line through corners, but driver education. To learn to better read traffic etc, but there is also practical components including learning how your car behaves under emergency braking situations etc. Once you complete it you get a discount on AAMI insurance for yourslf, until you reach the age of 25.

I remember finding it rather difficult learning to drive in my instructor's car. It was a mid 90s Corolla with dual controls, and I was practicing in the 505. Clutch was so incredibly different! I was quite comfortable with hill starts in the Pug, but found taking off in the Corolla quite hard as there was no feel. I also didn't like the way he was 'teaching' me to drive a manual - it involved lots of riding the clutch, changing gears as early as possible so that you ended up labouring the engine up a hill (arhg that horrible pinging noise!), coasting to red traffic lights in netural etc. He also told me off on the first drive as I double declutched. How evil am I???
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Hey,

Thanks heaps!

Cyas STalled
    On a basic drivers learning course we used to look at around 8 - 10 from not being able to even start a car up to licence standard.
    Advanced driving can come in several forms. The Qld Transport "Defensive driving course" was a type of thing only a pub;lic servant could think of; all theory and no practical. As much use as a +!+ on a bull.
    Roadcraft and Warren Luff are a couple that do a good course. I know with Roadcraft, they expect you to be a competant driver before the course which is natural as it will cost about $300+ for a 3 day course and they like to spend that time polishing up your driving skills not teaching you basic driving, so in effect, the better you can drive when you arrive, the better driver you are when you've finished the course.

Alan S

My first ever car was a 205 gti. It had a loud exhaust(that i hated) was stiff and had bucket seats. I never had a private lesson just my dad. (never drives with me now though) and i passed first go. I even had to pull over cause there was a police chase where i was driving.

CAm
    98 Xantia CT
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    92 405 Mi16
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Thread Information