Why I love my pug...
  • Register
  • Help

Default Why I love my pug...

After only driving a rental Nissan Pulsar for 2 hours today I have already discovered why there is now way I'll ever be buying a budget japanese car.
    This Pulsar has 4000klms on it and ughhhh, Rough, insipid engine, Marshmallow suspension thats not that compliant, just soft and spongey. Grabby overassisted brakes, weightless clutch, dodgey gearbox. I know its a rental car but I cannot imagine anybody test driving one and thinking "hmm, I'll buy this" The Pulsar does have OK seeming body stiffness, but the mechanical package is rediculous. I used to think the 306 1.8 engine could be smoother, mated to a slightly slicker gearbox but after the pulsar, it's brilliant! I cant wait to get my car back

Advertisement

Despite the fact that a third class ride beats a first class walk, I would take the 505 before the Ball and chains New corolla.
    Toyotas- reliable and predictable, but as driveable as, cold unsalted porridge.
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

And that's a 505! What would you think if you had a 404?

...hmmm... Corolla on the market...

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell

probably think give me the 505 back again
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

I find exactly the same. You forget how good you've got it untill you jump into something else.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

And here's me reading the subject heading and thinking this was going to say for sure " 'Cos I accidently left it in the middle of a supermarket car park with the door open and keys in it, and it was still there 2hours later when I came back"

seeya,
    Shane L.
    (bad shane, baaaaddd.... Stop stiring up the poogoe drivers ... ).
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

My every day car is my ZZR motorbike, when I jump in the pug its like driving a Statesman, and when I do drive something that big it feels like a truck. How is this relevant? well friday night im driving a Lincon TOWNCAR for a fellow pug driver at his daughter's final form Formal. If anyone knows how big a towncar is you can understand why I love my pug for its handling, not for its comfort factor. - Chris

ps. A towncar is a huge F'ing limo!! and then some.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron

seeya,
    Shane L.
    (bad shane, baaaaddd.... Stop stiring up the poogoe drivers ... ).
    Shane its all good, after all these posts (years?) I'm always expecting something smart form either you or UFO. LOL
    ... ptui!

hahahah, I had a mate with a calibra and he really did leave it in Sydney for 2 days, unlocked,keys in the ignition, money in the dash ($5) to entice people and when he went to see if it was gone...well, the fiver was gone but the car was untouched!!!!!! Maybe it just didnt start for the theives!!!Shows what people think of them.
    I just by chance also drove my mates Volvo S40 T today. First drive of the thing and, have to admit not a bad car with huge potentioal for tweaking. Very nice for 19k. Not very talkative steering, and small suspension control issues but overall, solid. Nicely weighted controls and comfy seats.
    I'd still prefer a harder, faster hatch though

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell

Where are my good walking boots.
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

know this feeling. After 2 days driving a hired BA XR6 around SA recently, I was very happy to find (also happy to actually just find the bloody thing...) my R25 at Tullamarine airport and drive it home. Even a rattly old Reno was nicer to drive. It actually felt alive - the BAs are big pigs of things with no personality. Go well in a straight line though

The 406 is a step up again and I LOVE it!

Cub

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by touring?
    I find exactly the same. You forget how good you've got it untill you jump into something else.
    Yeh thats so true...after test driving a range of new hatches, i finally decided on the 205 because it was just head and shoulders above everthing else.

After gettting used to the Super-glue like grip of the 205 I drove my gf's Jazz over the weekends....boy was she not happy I was taking corners as if i was in the Pug and it was all understeer, skidding and artificial steering....

And in conclusion your honour ...I love my pug too...!
    CUB

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by CHRI'S16

Shane its all good, after all these posts (years?) I'm always expecting something smart form either you or UFO. LOL
    I resemble that remark!

I absolutely hate having to drive the Falcodores we have at work. They are just so bloody boring and uncomfortable. Getting back into the XM at the end of a work day is LOOXURY!

The only blessing these days is that as I am a manager I do not have to go out and do the hack work so much. That means I have to drive crap work cars less often.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

There's some people around here, apparently, who've never driven a 404!

And then there's 'rambo, who has a distorted view of driving...

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    And here's me reading the subject heading and thinking this was going to say for sure " 'Cos I accidently left it in the middle of a supermarket car park with the door open and keys in it, and it was still there 2hours later when I came back"
    Ha! Remember it had a lion badge on it, not the ultimate anti-theft device - a double Chevron
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

I totally agree with your assessment of the Puslar. I've hired two in the last 6 months and they are as bad as you describe. After being in the first one for 10 minutes, most of which was smooth highway driving, my wife said to me: "this car is crap".

In comparison, we recently hired a Hyundai Getz. It was hopelessly overgeared (the mythical 100km/h in 2nd was close to possible) and a bit crashy in the ride but it had infinetly more charm than the Puslar.

405 mi16 > Getz > Pulsar
    '94 405 Mi16

dont get me started on a frogs superiority!

my flatmate has a 5 y.o. falcon. that thing is just bloody awful to drive. there is absolutely nothing that is nice to do in it - corners badly, awful - no feel clutch, terrible gearchanges, uncomfy seats... i can see why they use them as taxis!

it does do good burnouts tho.

anither mate of mine has a brand new ss coomondore. yeah its nice and its solid and its got v8 grunt... but the seats are flat - no support at all...

i also reckon commondores got too big after the vl...

405 for me anyday!
    1992 mi16 1.9 litre - it's a love hate realtionship.

whatever you do NEVER tell anyone your car is reliable. doesn't matter how much wood you touch!

previous cars: peugeot 306xt, peugeot 205si, renault 20, renault 12 - sedan and wagon, renault 25, alfa 155 twin spark

Fellow Frogger!

right-e-o, my turn to post...

despite all the virtual racing i have done with computer driving simulators i never feel comfortable going 'batshit' in my Xsara. so when out on car cruises i am always more on the side of caution.

However when Gti138 and I hit Mallala for a track day all inhibitions were gone. no curbs, no oncoming cars etc. So this is my first time driving the car hard... the end result - my shitty little french car is able to post faster lap times than 2 FPV GT's. Yes the 290kW ones.

and the Xsara IS NOT light. That must say something for superior suspension.

-Q.

Pleased to say "I HAVE MY CAR BACK" i can start to enjoy the drive to work again!!!!! Suffice to say that the contrast between the Pulsar and the 306 is ENORMOUS. I really cant understand why you would buy a hyundai getz or something similar when you could buy a good condition second hand frog. they returned it from the repairers 2 days early which was nice...it meant i could drive all weekend. It's only after a week of driving an average car you realise how well pugs drive. Sure, the plastics in the pulsar fitted better than in a 306, but who cares, thats purley cosmetic and something I would trade anyday for driving enjoyment.
    BTW...does anyone know an effective way of unblocking the wiper/washer nozzles on the bonnet. They have come back blocked. I can blow air through but no water. when i disconnect the tubes and turn the washer on water flows freely, so its in the nozzle somewhere...?

Quote Originally Posted by mmm...CORNERS
    BTW...does anyone know an effective way of unblocking the wiper/washer nozzles on the bonnet. They have come back blocked. I can blow air through but no water. when i disconnect the tubes and turn the washer on water flows freely, so its in the nozzle somewhere...?
    I'd suggest the best way to get unblocked nozzles is to simply go and buy a couple of new ones. I've spent ages trying to unblock windscreen washer nozzles and in the end decided to admit defeat and go get some new ones.
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

another I love my pug story. Was in Ballarat (redneck central) and picked up some friends of a friend in the 406. The Pug got the "this is a bit flash for round here - what did it cost you?" (dont think I have ever been acused of being posh before. Mind you, its not hard in Ballarat...) He was a bit put out when he discovered it cost less than half what his VX SS cost, which he admitted was pile of crap. Still couldnt convince him that lowered suspension and big wheels didnt automatically mean it would handle better than the Pug though. Oh well - I least I know better

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas
    I totally agree with your assessment of the Puslar. I've hired two in the last 6 months and they are as bad as you describe. After being in the first one for 10 minutes, most of which was smooth highway driving, my wife said to me: "this car is crap".

In comparison, we recently hired a Hyundai Getz. It was hopelessly overgeared (the mythical 100km/h in 2nd was close to possible) and a bit crashy in the ride but it had infinetly more charm than the Puslar.

405 mi16 > Getz > Pulsar
    Had the same situation when I rented a Lancer in Qld on Indy weekend.

I got in the thing and just winced at the dash, both in looks and layout. The car handled like a boat, was gutless and auto to boot. Not only that but the indicators were on the other side so I spent some time windscreen-wiping around corners!

I was glad to get home and back into my little frog-mobile! But those indicators ruined me for a couple of days...

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Nick
    I was glad to get home and back into my little frog-mobile! But those indicators ruined me for a couple of days...

Nick
    know that feeling! Bloody daft putting indicators on the right - how are you supposed to indicate to change lanes with your arm on the window sill?

Fellow Frogger!

Default Daewoo Matiz!!!

I had to drive the companies Daewoo Matiz and follow one of the Managers to his home.

As the Matiz is not a great performer in a straight line so I was oblidged to corner quickly to keep said Manager in site. First corner I changed back to second It made a funny screaming noise and nearly fell on its side!

I had forgotten how superior the 206 GTi is!!

Also had to send 12 hours working in a Toyota (you know the one thats real forgetable and bigger than a camry.) (Avalon)

This is the worst car I have ever driven even a Falcon is better!!

How can anyone buy these things compared to my 406 it was 25 no sorry 55 years behind in suspension design. Bounced and wallowed just like a real American car in the movies do.

You do tend to forget the difference until u get in a mainstream Japanese car.

I also used to drive work Pulsars and compared to my Citroen Xsara I had at the time it was Pathetic. I so looked forward to getting back in it for the drive home.

Graelin

[QUOTE=CHRI'S16]My every day car is my ZZR motorbike, when I jump in the pug its like driving a Statesman,

Must admit I'm a bit insulted that you would refer to a pug as being anything like a holden.
    I've driven a couple from a new V8 Monaro to new commodores and compared to my Mi16 I think they are sh*t (to be polite). As you can probably see I'm not a huge fan of them. I saw a new HSV the other day (around $80,000+) and all plastic crappy side moulds are just stuck on, the finish on the cars interior/exterior was of the same standard seen on a base model exec. commodore, and as for the handling WHAT HANDLING?
    Peugeot's are on a different playing feild to aussie built cars, the only similarities are they all have four wheels and steering wheels.
    1993 Series 1 405 Mi16

Already have:
    Lots of servicing
    Devil exhaust
    Soon to have:
    206GTI 16's
    Lowered
    Slotted front rotors
    New tires
    and some more servicing!

Thread Information