Heaven and Hell
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Heaven and Hell

Fellow Frogger!

Default Heaven and Hell

Heaven ... I've just had a few days in New Caledonia. Great place - pricey but you get what you pay for. Great beaches, reef, hills, coast, food, laid back atmosphere and good roads to drive. And 80% plus of the cars are frogs. Seems they've got the full range - Twingo to Vel Satis, Clio V6 to Saxo, 106 to Xsara Picasso, Safrane to Espace, plus everything you see in Oz of course. I knew it was French so I SHOULD have guessed but thought that out in the Pacific it would be mainly Japanese.

Advertisement

And Hell? ... the best on-line rental car deal I found was with Avis. As a rental company they were just fine but they turned out to be the only one who didn't have a French fleet. We got, ahem, "upgraded" to a Daihatsu Terrios. Managed to change to a Yaris (a.k.a. Echo) which to be fair was surprisingly good. In it we managed a good quick 600k+ trip round most of the island in a day ... but it just isn't the same as a frog!
    unfrogged (for now)

Quote Originally Posted by 106 Rallye
    Heaven ... I've just had a few days in New Caledonia. Great place - pricey but you get what you pay for. Great beaches, reef, hills, coast, food, laid back atmosphere and good roads to drive. And 80% plus of the cars are frogs. Seems they've got the full range - Twingo to Vel Satis, Clio V6 to Saxo, 106 to Xsara Picasso, Safrane to Espace, plus everything you see in Oz of course. I knew it was French so I SHOULD have guessed but thought that out in the Pacific it would be mainly Japanese.

And Hell? ... the best on-line rental car deal I found was with Avis. As a rental company they were just fine but they turned out to be the only one who didn't have a French fleet. We got, ahem, "upgraded" to a Daihatsu Terrios. Managed to change to a Yaris (a.k.a. Echo) which to be fair was surprisingly good. In it we managed a good quick 600k+ trip round most of the island in a day ... but it just isn't the same as a frog!
    what were th roads like there, last time i was there (10 years ago) they were pretty shocking

Fellow Frogger!

They were good - to my liking anyway. Recently surfaced, a good width, enough bends to be fun and enough straights to get past slower traffic. And no speed cameras!

Think of the road if you turn off the Great Western Highway at Hartley (just over the Blue Mnts) and go to Oberon ... part is Duckmaloi Road, not sure what the other is ... and very much like that. I'm sure you can still find bad ones but the roads you'd use for most of the time are just fine now.
    unfrogged (for now)

Thread Information