Radar Detectors
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... Last
Results 1 to 25 of 187

Thread: Radar Detectors

  1. #1
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    27

    Default Radar Detectors

    Hi Ya!
    OK I'll be in Aus for a few weeks soon, and I would like to know if I can use my radar detector?
    Is it against the law? Not like I'm there for any Gumball type rally but, just plain sick and tired of Police giving you tickets for being 5Km/h above the limit.



    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    16,382

    Default

    If you come to Victoria the hidden cameras will book you for 3km/h over the limit. It's for your own safety though, you should be thanking the government

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

  3. #3
    Gone Fishin' Ray Bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Burpengary and Murrumburrah, Qld and NSW
    Posts
    9,223

    Default

    In answer to your question, yes, radar detectors are illegal...

    Most states operate on a 10% leniency, by the way.

  4. #4
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    27

    Default

    I was in Vic last year and I got two tickets for speeding one was for 4Km/h above the limit!
    No thats just damn silly. Will the police confiscate my detector on sight or only if caught with a speeding offence?


  5. #5
    Gone Fishin' Ray Bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Burpengary and Murrumburrah, Qld and NSW
    Posts
    9,223

    Default

    Probably...

    And write you out a ticket at the same time. Just for having it.

  6. #6
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seven
    I was in Vic last year and I got two tickets for speeding one was for 4Km/h above the limit!
    No thats just damn silly. Will the police confiscate my detector on sight or only if caught with a speeding offence?

    In NSW they don't even need to see it; they have 'radar detector detectors' & the offence is treated worse than doing 180km/hour.

    Barry.

  7. #7
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Cheers Guys!
    Well I won't risk it, it was hard enuff for me to get my V1 detector, and I defo don't wanna lose it to some copper.
    Thanks Guys

  8. #8
    1000+ Posts zykyra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    1,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seven
    Hi Ya!
    OK I'll be in Aus for a few weeks soon, and I would like to know if I can use my radar detector?
    Is it against the law? Not like I'm there for any Gumball type rally but, just plain sick and tired of Police giving you tickets for being 5Km/h above the limit.

    Hi there, radars are illegal except over here in WA & also in the NT, where they are fully legal. Often units from overseas arent as effective as we operate with different bands here. Saying that, I am a bit naughty & always take my radar detector to the Eastern states when I go & I havent had a problem in the last 5yrs & probably 25-30 trips. There is a lot of urban myth & paranoia surrounding there use in OZ, my suggestion is just bring it & if you get caught.........play dumb

    1972 DS Pallas
    2015 Clio
    2012 DS4
    Simca Arondes (travaux en cours)
    Lotus Elise Club Racer '12


    In WA? Join THE club ! www.frenchandfantastic.com.au

  9. #9
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    22

    Default

    zykyra I couldn't help but notice that you can offer discounts on radar detectors. I'll be looking at getting one in the next couple of weeks as I will be travelling down to Bunbury regularly for work. I live in Perth so it would be easy for me to pick it up. Could you give me some quotes on the decent radar detectors. Thanks

  10. #10
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barryg
    In NSW they don't even need to see it; they have 'radar detector detectors' & the offence is treated worse than doing 180km/hour.

    Barry.
    i heard they only have 1 in the state & it fills most of a van up!

    I dont see how if its a pure receiver they can detect it... ?
    any ideas?
    are they detecting some harmonics or something?

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    63

    Default i dont understand?

    ok, lots of people will not like me for this, but i dont understand........

    why spend money on a detector??????? why not just stay below the limit???? you wont get fined for being under the limit...

    ask any police officer and they would be over the moon if they went a day without booking anyone for speeding, its not revenue rasing, im sure if they made $0 in a year from speeding fines (or lack of) they would be happy, because that meens safe driving.

    my personal views? i recon they should be alowd to hide cameras in trees, wheelie bins, poles, unmarked cars, anywhere they want.

    its quite easy to avoid getting hit my a hidden camera, dont speed.
    ________________________________________
    1971 504 (restoration temp. at a hault)
    1977 504 (rolling restoration)
    1985 505 wagon (bus/work ute/shopping trolly)

  12. #12
    1000+ Posts alan moore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Ipswich, Queensland.
    Posts
    1,895

    Default

    Detectors are not pure receivers. Maybe ten years ago I was caught in western NSW with a detector, by a detector detector. I was told then that I was unlucky as there were only two in the state. Confiscation of my $600 detector and a $787 fine. (Goes up with the consumer price index) I asked whether I could run over my detector so that nobody else could use it, to the reply that if I contested the fine he would have to show it was a working device, so no. I wasn't caught for speeding, though I am sure it would have been cheaper.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

  13. #13
    Gone Fishin' Ray Bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Burpengary and Murrumburrah, Qld and NSW
    Posts
    9,223

    Default

    Originally posted by1971504sedan
    .....ask any police officer and they would be over the moon if they went a day without booking anyone for speeding, its not revenue rasing, im sure if they made $0 in a year from speeding fines (or lack of) they would be happy, because that meens safe driving.

    my personal views? i recon they should be alowd to hide cameras in trees, wheelie bins, poles, unmarked cars, anywhere they want.

    its quite easy to avoid getting hit my a hidden camera, dont speed.
    Well, I don't agree...

    I've met police who are clearly looking for someone to stand over, I've had one police officer book me literally every single time he saw me on the road. And he wasn't always truthful about it.

    There are police (especially in NSW) who can't wait to pull over their next victim. They love it... power over the opressed. There may also be some who aren't that way, but that's not the issue.

    So it stands to reason that I don't agree with hidden cameras, hidden cops, blitzes or hand held radar and laser guns.

    I can prove, and I mean really prove, that these things are negative in their contribution to road safety. I can prove that highway speed limits are retrograde in enhancing road safety.

    If you want to discuss it with me, and are prepared to come with an open mind and willing to look at the evidence, I'm happy to talk to you face to face.

    If you aren't, then just take my word for it.

  14. #14
    Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Parkes - N.S.W - Australia - Earth
    Posts
    12,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alan moore
    Detectors are not pure receivers. Maybe ten years ago I was caught in western NSW with a detector, by a detector detector. I was told then that I was unlucky as there were only two in the state. Confiscation of my $600 detector and a $787 fine. (Goes up with the consumer price index) I asked whether I could run over my detector so that nobody else could use it, to the reply that if I contested the fine he would have to show it was a working device, so no. I wasn't caught for speeding, though I am sure it would have been cheaper.

    i have known quite a few truckies over the years and in talking to one once about getting caught for a radar dectector he asked the oficer what the next course of action for the dectector was and the oficer replied with it will put away and used in evidence if need be to which the truck driver who still had hold of the device "accidently" dropped a sledge hammer that was sitting under his seat on top of the detector which had fallen from his hands

    the oficer then said well it's no good now so you may as well keep it

    the driver recieved a fine for using the device

    there was also a trick used by truckies as well by placing 2 springs diagonally across the front of the truck and this would interupt the detector detectors detection of the detector

    also a matt black bonnet would also upset the process as well

    i have often entertained the thought of a detector as i like to sit around 120km/h on the open road when no one else is around but i hate the thought of getting caught so i have to sit back to the limit
    3 x '78 604 SL

    1 x '98 306 GTi6

    1 x secret project

    1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

    1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

    1 x 1994 605 SV3.0


    WTD long range fuel tank for 605

  15. #15
    Gone Fishin' Ray Bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Burpengary and Murrumburrah, Qld and NSW
    Posts
    9,223

    Default

    You know, the top of the wheel of your car is travelling at twice your road speed at any given time...

    I've often wondered if it'd be possible to get the radars to read that speed.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    63

    Default

    if someone, in a police uniform, is purely in it for the "fun" of standing over the oppressed, then they are not a police officer, they are a corrupt cop.......so report them as corrupt..........


    and, i cannot, not in my wildest thoughts, see how a hidden camera can cause an unsafe conditon on the road, i just simply cannot understand how something that you cant see and is clear of the road way, can cause a safty hazard, road users would simply just drive on by, none the wiser that a camera was there........because they know they are under the limit and so a camera doesnt bother them...........

    HOWEVER...........IF a road user was speeding, and they were therefore on the lookout for hidden cameras, that is a hazardous situation, because they arent paying attention..........this is not the cameras fault, or the police, this is the drivers fault, who is alreaddy speeding, being careless.

    speed limtis are there for a reason and its quite simple to avoid a fine, dont speed. if a driver isnt speeding, then a police officer on the side of the road with a laser gun would be nothing more then another pedestrian as far as the driver is concerned, because he has nothing to worry about.

    as far as highway speed limits? would you say they should be higher or lower. im not a civil or vehical engineer, so i cant determain safe speeds with regards to road conditons and car design.

    id be happy to talk to you face to face if im in parkes or you are in brisbane, i think youll find my responce to your findings will be.......dont speed, simple.

    if your not speeding, then a camera around every corner would make no differance, maybe only obstruction to pedestrian traffic...
    ________________________________________
    1971 504 (restoration temp. at a hault)
    1977 504 (rolling restoration)
    1985 505 wagon (bus/work ute/shopping trolly)

  17. #17
    Gone Fishin' Ray Bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Burpengary and Murrumburrah, Qld and NSW
    Posts
    9,223

    Default

    You're right... and this applies to open road limits, not town limits... the limits are there for a reason.

    So that police can nail drivers with an enforcible offence, so that a fine can be extracted and revenue raised.

    You see, these limits never existed decades ago. They were introduced because it was difficult to get convictions when outright speed limits didn't exist.

    The reasons for wanting to be able to get convictions might have been quite reasonable, but the use of the limits since that time is most unreasonable.

    We used to be able to drive, quite safely, from Sydney to Adelaide in 12 or 13 hours. Today that's so illegal it's ridiculous. And it's not as safe...

    Where in Brisbane do you want to meet up? All I ask is that you meet me with an open mind.

    By the way, I live in Brisbane... I don't know where Parkes comes into it...

  18. #18
    Member 4WDrift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Maroochydore
    Posts
    72

    Icon13

    Anyone who reckons that booking people for doing 3 Kmh over the speed limit is right, moral, or sensible, has got to be trippin'.

    1. How is it possible to regulate your car's speed to within this B.S. speed range, given the myriad conditions one deals with as a driver?

    2. How is it sensible to demand a real [unknown, but very significant] percentage of a drivers concentration be directed to staying within ridiculously infintisimal, pathetic variations in speed?
    Tell me it wouldn't be more sensibele to allow a driver to relax, and concentrate on the things he/she should be concentrating on - need I give examples?

    3. Why is it that these so-called 'speed detectors' hide in the most sleazy places? eg. at the bottom of hills, just after speed limit reduction signs, behind a tree on a completely safe, wide, open country road, etc. etc. etc. etc. ???

    I'm not saying it's cool to speed, but it's dickheads who cause accidents, not necessarily speed.

    As for the slime who prey on innocent road users who most often accidentally go a few Km's over the limit while concentrating on something more important, (and there are many of them), catch me if you can you S.O.B.s. grrr!
    White 505Gti just about fitted with XN & 5 Speed.


    "We have enslaved the rest of animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form."
    William Ralph Inge

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    63

    Default

    yes, frozen in time, a >portion/part< of the tyre is traveling at twice the indicated speed of the car, relitive to the ground, when it travels over the top of the revolution.

    and so theoretically it would be possible with a hand held radar or laser, if you followed the >same portion/part< of the tyre as it passed over the top of the revolution. for intstance, if you focussed on a letter of the brand name, and followed it over the top, it would read a higher speed.

    however the tyre as a whole, has only moved a certain distance in a given amount of time, relitive to the ground

    because it is impossible for the naked human eye to follow a portion/part of a tyre, at high speed, around a revolution in real time. a person can only focus the crosshairs of a radar/laser gun on the continuous surface of the tyre, as it would appear to the radar gun.

    sorry, i read the wrong location, well im busy this weekend, but maybe next weekend, ill contact you.

    speed limits were not introduced so that there would be a law for people to break and therefore get fined for..........decades ago, most cars werent capabale of doing in excess of 200klms per hour, let alone 100klms.........and the number of cars on the road has increased significantly.

    on the open road it is more tempting for people to speed, because they have the impression that its safe, no sharp bends, smooth hills and plenty of room.........but stopping distance goes up considerably, and it is just as possible for an unexpected obstruction to be in front of you on the open road as it is in town.

    i maintain an open mind and ill listen to your arguements.............however, i maintian that there is no excuse to be speeding.......leave that to the people who are trained to drive in an emergency.
    ________________________________________
    1971 504 (restoration temp. at a hault)
    1977 504 (rolling restoration)
    1985 505 wagon (bus/work ute/shopping trolly)

  20. #20
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nate
    i heard they only have 1 in the state & it fills most of a van up!

    I dont see how if its a pure receiver they can detect it... ?
    any ideas?
    are they detecting some harmonics or something?
    It's actually quite simple to detect a radar detector, as most work by radiating at *almost* the same frequency as the police radar, and looking for interference from a police radar. This is more sensitive than just looking for the police radar itself. I wouldn't rely on there only being one, as a police radar can quite easily run in detector mode, looking for interference from a detector.

    You will be pleased to learn though that on February 1 2005 the fine will drop from $1202 to $1175 (who says fines don't go down?) but will attract 9 demerit points. Think about how stupid you will feel copping a penalty like that when cruising through town at 50 in a 60 zone. This is not to say I personally agree with this; I don't; but it is a fact of life that the consequences of being caught are quite severe.

    BTW, it is also an illegal to import radar detectors, get caught with one in customs & you get fined severely as well. Geez it's good we don't live in a police state eh?

    Cheers,

    Barry.

  21. #21
    Gone Fishin' Ray Bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Burpengary and Murrumburrah, Qld and NSW
    Posts
    9,223

    Default

    Whenever you like...

    But you will also have to be prepared to be shot down in flames. I've been on this case for a very long time, and already I can shoot holes in what you are saying.

    Let's not worry about the 200kmh stuff too much... 160, 180 is pretty much enough to allow reasonable drivers in reasonable cars travel reasonable distances in reasonable safety. Like I used to do all the time in my 1960 Austin.

    e.mail me at [email protected] any time.

  22. #22
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,160

    Default

    sure we have to stay within limits, but 3km/h is a joke...
    You'll be spending more time lookin at the speedo than the road... & then driving very un-environmentally friendly... braking down the slightest slope :|

    some leniency should be shown, as road conditions vary all the time... its relatively difficult to keep your speed at EXACTLY the right level...

  23. #23
    1000+ Posts zykyra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    1,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by new2bx16v
    zykyra I couldn't help but notice that you can offer discounts on radar detectors. I'll be looking at getting one in the next couple of weeks as I will be travelling down to Bunbury regularly for work. I live in Perth so it would be easy for me to pick it up. Could you give me some quotes on the decent radar detectors. Thanks
    Will PM you...........
    1972 DS Pallas
    2015 Clio
    2012 DS4
    Simca Arondes (travaux en cours)
    Lotus Elise Club Racer '12


    In WA? Join THE club ! www.frenchandfantastic.com.au

  24. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    63

    Default

    4WDrift...

    why should you maintian your speed on the top most maximum allowable speed for that road....like i said, its a speed limit, not a speed sugestion....why not hover around 5 - 10 klms under the limit?

    you can be sure that you wont unsuspectingly slide up into the red.....

    and i recall earlier in the piece someone stateing that there is a 10% leaniancy for the limit i dont know if this is true or not..........could be.
    ________________________________________
    1971 504 (restoration temp. at a hault)
    1977 504 (rolling restoration)
    1985 505 wagon (bus/work ute/shopping trolly)

  25. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    Whenever you like...

    But you will also have to be prepared to be shot down in flames. I've been on this case for a very long time, and already I can shoot holes in what you are saying.

    Let's not worry about the 200kmh stuff too much... 160, 180 is pretty much enough to allow reasonable drivers in reasonable cars travel reasonable distances in reasonable safety. Like I used to do all the time in my 1960 Austin.

    e.mail me at [email protected] any time.
    you are not being very openminded like you keep telling me to be, ray.

    but go ahead and shoot holes in my theory, why not do it here where people can see and youll have proof........? ill talk face to face as well if you really want to, but if you become pigheaded about it, then i will walk away.

    i stand by my opinion, no excuse for speeding, its a speed limit, not a speed sugestion.

    no more posts tonight from me, work 2morrow
    ________________________________________
    1971 504 (restoration temp. at a hault)
    1977 504 (rolling restoration)
    1985 505 wagon (bus/work ute/shopping trolly)

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... Last

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •