Engine Crane - where to buy?
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Engine Crane - where to buy?

I have convinced myself that one of these is worth the price when playing take the gearbox out of the BX games.

Seems if you hire an engine crane for more than 4 days from say Kennards you would be better off buying one.

Advertisement

Does anyone know a place that sells them off the shelf in Sydney? SuperCheap don't have any (or usually anything else that I've tried to buy from them). I've found a place in Oakleigh Vic that has one for $195, but the freight is a killer.

Thanks,

Barry.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

As crazy at it sounds have you tried ebay ???

You just need to find an ebay store in Sydney that will let you pick up locally to avoid the (extremely hefty) postage costs.

Failing that, any 'cheapish' tool store, I can think of 2 places in Ballarat that sell them... A place as big as Sydney must have hundreds !! GR Edward, here sell all the presses/cranes/motorbike lifts/winches/etc... you find on ebay auction stores. Only it's cheaper to buy here in Ballarat than pay postage on such exceptionally heavy items.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

You checked Super Cheap Auto, did you?

I mean, actually went in and asked or rang them up?

Repco would have them, check for a catalogue...

I got mine at SuperCheap earlier in the year on special for $249 reduced down from normal $299 or $349 It's a 1.25 tonne capacity.
    I waited for mine as it was going to cost a fortune to get one in specially due to of course, freight costs.
    One part alone goes over 80kgs.
    They will fit (at a squeeze) into a BX with the back seat down when still packed in their boxes.
    Best investment I ever made. With Chrismas coming up, it could be worth contacting S/C and seeing if they have a "Christmas catalogue" coming up & if they have, be sitting on the doorstep when they open first day as the reason I had to wait was that each store was allocated 2 cranes and in my home town and the neighbouring one, both cranes went in both stores within 10 minutes of opening.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Yep,

Alan crane is considerably cheaper than mine (lucky bugger, I thought mine was on a really good special when I got it). The one I have is a 2tonne with an engine attachment that bolts to it's legs. It was closer to $320 from memory though Be sure to get one with fold up legs !!!! They take up a HUGE amount of shed space if you can't lift the legs up and drop the boom right down.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Super Cheap Auto have a 20% off sale every Boxing Day...

$299 less 20% is somewhere near $240... right?

Fellow Frogger!

If you are only going to use it a few times, it may be better to borrow one off someone. I borrowed one off a mate, who borrowed it off a bloke who literally went crazy and hasn't gone to get it back for over five years!

You may not have the luck (!) of having a friend with a crazy friend with a crane, and $250-300 isn't that much really. They are really useful if you can't lift things, like gearboes or engines.

Seeya,
    Andrew

That's not the one cruiserman is thinking of taking back to the owner is it?

I bought an Electric one (yep I'm lazy) on e-bay brand new for about $260. I have mine dynabolted to the garage wall and it pivots on an extendable arm has a 500kg capacity. The great thing about this is when not in use it takes up no floor space. The difference between this and a normal one is that you move the car and not the stand which in my case is probably easier.
    Regards,
    Matt
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Imagine watching the entire French Air-Force crash into a fireworks factory. That's how much fun this car is."

Jeremy Clarkson - talking about the V6 Clio
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Barry... SuperCheap is the go but you wont find them in every store all the time... it's a catalogue item normally I guess due to space.

If you want a quality item go to ANY Gasweld store... might pay $100.00 more than SuperCheap though depending on what you choose.. phone them they're usually pretty good.

Cheers
    BX TZI Hatch
    BX TRI Hatch
    GS C-Matic

Fellow Frogger!

OK, problem solved. I found a 2 tonne one for $260 on ebay in Sydney 10 minutes from my home. Most other places wanted $299 upwards for a 1 tonne one, and SuperCheap don't have any at all, nor Gasweld. I figure I can always sell it when I think I am finished with it, and the overall cost much better than hiring one. I also think the money is well spent when doing stuff like taking gearboxes out to replace a clutch - I could do it with jaclss & the like, but it would be a pain.

Barry.

Just for reference... as Barry says, Super Cheap don't have them. They tell me they've deleted them from their lines, as they seem to have done with a wide range of tools... at least, if the Chermside store is any indication.

I went also to AutoBarn, they have a very nice one there for $299, and I think there's a discount plan if you join their 'club'... maybe 10%off or something. It has foldup feet, so when it's out of use it takes up only about a half metre square of floor space... and still wheels about.

Glenfords have one, but it's $399...

Quote Originally Posted by barryg
    OK, problem solved. I found a 2 tonne one for $260 on ebay in Sydney 10 minutes from my home. Most other places wanted $299 upwards for a 1 tonne one, and SuperCheap don't have any at all, nor Gasweld. I figure I can always sell it when I think I am finished with it, and the overall cost much better than hiring one. I also think the money is well spent when doing stuff like taking gearboxes out to replace a clutch - I could do it with jaclss & the like, but it would be a pain.

Barry.

Wait 'till you do a cambelt; that's one job that they really shine on particularly on a BX where it's possible to let a donk slip off a jack and bounce off a radiator or fall backwards and shop off the pipes to the heater matrix which will keep you in an extremely bad mood for several hours and cause you to question the birthrite of every Citroen designer, salesman and engineer for several hours as you almost remove the engine after first ripping half the dashboard out and then convincing yourself that that pipe and grummet must fit, after all, it did come out of there.
    A very wise investment.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

does it have to be new??? i used to go to the Grand bazzar markets out near liverpool and there was always one or two of them every weekend. a little old but cheap and still working

Markets are definitely an option...

I'm seriously thinking of going to Caboolture market early tomorrow to see about 35-36mm sockets. Not likely to see a second hand engine crane there, though.

Now, Jamison market in Belconnen... the number of tool vendors there boggles the mind!

Thread Information