Its a sad day
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: Its a sad day

Fellow Frogger!

Default Its a sad day

During the heavy rain last night i found my self in just enough water to stall the car, i tired starting but it just turned over and would not fire so i thought i would wait a while and try again, the second round off turning over started but then as it was turning over i heard a clunk from the enigin and after that it would not turn over.

I Called a tow truck to get me out, and the driver said for me to contact my insyrance company as it is most likely your engine is screwed.

Advertisement

I put the claim in today so should hopefully know what the out come off the car is in the next few days.

Immy

Cal

That is very bad news. How much water were you in? The intake is above headlight level. This happened to my car. Cracked a piston and bend a rod at right angles. I did the rebuild with the help of my father.

Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

Zen

Ouch, dude. Sorry to hear. I hope all goes well with the insurance company.

Rich

codito ergo sum == code monkey

'04 206 GTi 180
    '95 306 S16

Didn't this happen with your last S16???
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Fellow Frogger!

Water was about 15 to 20cm i could open the door with out it flooding into the car.

And yes this did happen to my last car but the water was about half meter, so thats why i thought this should be ok.

The tow truck driver said the water most likly went up your exhaust.

They should be towing the car some time this afternoon or tommorrow morning to the assesment area, and said they will be calling me with the news not long after.

IF they do write the car off what do use think will be the salvage value of it, and will it be worth buying back off them.

Cheers

If the height you reckon is reasobaly accurate, it shouldn't have sucked into the intake.
    A car will stop pretty dead with a gut ful up the exhaust pipe. As kids, we used to jam spuds up the exhaust pipes of cars belonging to @$$0!e$ we wanted to upset and many a time, I've seen them getting towed and suddenly go off with a bang and send the piece of spud out of the exhaust pipe like a cannon ball, whereupon the car would start.
    If that's all it is, it shouldn't be any big drama. Just pull the plugs out when you get it home & spin it on the starter & see if anything comes out of the plug holes before you go any further.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

it doesnt sound good - so was the water level above the exhaust ?
    1994 306 S16 sold but not forgotten
    2004 Clio 182 current

As Alan S says... pull the plugs and spin her up... if it spurts out water from one of the cylinders (yes, you'll need to get someone to carefully watch) then I'd say swab that cylinder with some rag through the plug hole (it will soak up like a wick...) and then have a go at starting it.

With the plugs back in, of course...

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by slick
    it doesnt sound good - so was the water level above the exhaust ?

Didnt look it most likely would off.

The think im worried about what was the clunk from the engine when i tried starting

That could have been a number of things... from an electrical problem with the starter to a minor (or even major... let's hope not!) hydraulic lock.

The starter, however, shouldn't have enough power to do any real damage in the case of an engine ingesting water through the exhaust. At least I don't think so...

Quote Originally Posted by immy s16
    The think im worried about what was the clunk from the engine when i tried starting
    Could it have been when the exhaust valve opened and the system was pressurised due to being full of water through the entire system, cat etc. and it just blew exhaust back into the cylinder as it was trying to get out? In other words, tried to recompress the gases already spent.

Unfortunately, everyone looks on Cit suspensions as being "Quirky" yet in these situations, it's hard to imagine why all makers didn't adopt their system.
    In any of our cars, we just jack 'em up and drive through or back out depending on circumstances; something most non Cit drivers don't realise.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Sorry to hear this, i hope your insurance company wont give you the run around

I remeber Dave172 (i think) was in the same situation last year with his clio, the car was declared a write-off

Fellow Frogger!

I had a call from my insurance company today advising me that they will be reapiring my car at this stage.

They have revoved the interior carpets and seats, and are in the process of removing the engine.

At this stage they said it looks like the rods on piston 1 and 4 are bent, but they will have a better idea hopefully tommorrow once the engine is apart.

Sound's like you'll get a free engine rebuild... new pistons and new rings... some consolation, Immy!

Might be a good idea to ask them to get the rods balanced, I think you'll find they're batch balanced and new ones might not be a match for the old.

Cal

I agree with Ray about the rods. Get them balanced. Also, why not stick a Peter T camshaft in it while they are there. Fair size job otherwise.

Cal.
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S

Fellow Frogger!

The cam shaft was on top off my list if the rebuild goes ahead, was speaking to my mechanic today and he also had consern of the crank been bent and possible cracks in the big end bearings.

Guess il just have to wait and see, my mechanic is hoping for a write off, saying it will be better for me.

Is there any way i convince the insurance company to write the car off?

Would a write off be better for you?

If they pay out on market value, what about the improvements you've made to the car?

Cal

I think he means it will be better for him if they right it off and he can buy the wreck very cheaply. I really can't see that happening, even if you need a new crankshaft.

Cal.
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    Would a write off be better for you?

If they pay out on market value, what about the improvements you've made to the car?
    Its insured on a agreed value of $19500
    After that I added the alloy wheels and thats at a value of $2800, no im not sure if they write the car off will they add the two value together.

Cal

Geez, the best thing they could do would be write it off and you buy it back. Try getting $20k for it. Ask Brad how much fun he is having selling his.

Cal.
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S

Lots!!!!

2,000 posts...woohoo
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Fellow Frogger!

Ive been pretty patient the last 2 weeks so today i decided to ring my insurance company and find out what the hell is going on with my car. The response i got from them was we are still waiting for an estimate on engine damage.

Following this I called the mechanic, and he mentioned that the engine is complety stripped down, and the engineers are waiting for Peugeot to send them over the correct specifications for the engine.

What he said is Peugeot is been slack getting the information that is required so that they can measure various parts to see what is bent.

This whole thing is becomeing really annoying since they have had the car for just over two weeks and have still not even determined if they will fix the car or it is a write off, in the mean time im stuck in a shitty nissan pulsar, which I have to give back because I cant affor paying $35 a day for any longer.

Any suggestions as what I could do to speed up this problem or does any one have XU10J4 specs.

Cheers

Maybe you should start telling the insurers that they should be paying for your rental car?

Fellow Frogger!

Got a call from the insurer today advising me that the car is a write off

I'm really sorry to hear that. Never mind, perhaps you will fall in love with the next car that comes your way
    Regards,

Jinny.

'15 DS 5
    '74 GS Club Convertisseur

Previous
    R12
    CX 2200
    Flouride
    R20
    R19
    '74 GS Club
    '91 XM