dark tint + dark car
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Tadpole

Default dark tint + dark car

Am thinking of getting tints for my black 206 and was reading some general info and opinions that dark tints + black car = higher risk of accident, and so it would be a safer option to just settle for a light tint.

Just wondering what you guys thought????

Advertisement

You also need to consider your insurance company. If your tint is too dark they may not honour a claim in the future.

You should speak to them first and see whats acceptable by them
    David

1999 China Blue 206 GTi
    2001 MY02 Subaru Liberty RX

http://community.webshots.com/user/choiboi29

1000+ Posts

don't clean the windows - it's cheaper.

Icon6 Black car / tinted windows

You can always drive with your parking lights (and fog lights) on - you'll always stand out then

Quote Originally Posted by Paltallo
    You can always drive with your parking lights (and fog lights) on - you'll always stand out then
    But, of course, you still won't be able to see anyone else on a grey day through all that tint, so you'll need to stand out!

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by spo22a
    Am thinking of getting tints for my black 206 and was reading some general info and opinions that dark tints + black car = higher risk of accident, and so it would be a safer option to just settle for a light tint.
    Any tint reduces visibility (though you could argue that in certain conditions of sunlight it improves it) hence there is rules governing your tint darkness (was 30% if I recall). So from an inside factor stick to this, from an outside factor (can people see you), yes there is evidence that dark colour cars can be harder to see, adding dark tint probably wouldn't make this much worse, having tint poorly applied would be worse, so pick your film, glue and installer carefully. Never had any problems with 3M, but you pay a slight premium.

- XTC -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

XTC

35% .. knew I was close. Saw lots of cars in Bali with 80% of the front windscreen tinting .. just a gap in the middle at eye level (well eye level for SHORT people), guess they don't have many rules (or those that are enforced anyway).

- XTC -

Now this is a .sig

Hey Everyone, I am in a similar position, thinking of tinting my 180 here in Perth - can any Perthites recommend or share experience with any Perth 3M tinters / approx cost etc

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvestor
    Hey Everyone, I am in a similar position, thinking of tinting my 180 here in Perth - can any Perthites recommend or share experience with any Perth 3M tinters / approx cost etc
    Join the PCCWA and you can get 3M at 20% discount .. see www.pccwa.org.au.

- XTC -

Now this is a .sig

1000+ Posts

Default tinting and safety

Seriously, from a safety point of view it is a bad idea. Many reasonably good drivers read the body language of other drivers.
    So what's it going to be? Looking 'cool' or potentially preventing a little bingle?

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    Join the PCCWA and you can get 3M at 20% discount .. see www.pccwa.org.au.

- XTC -
    Thanks XTC - didn't think of PCCWA *duh* (Roll that newbie alert again

Dark cars, regardless of tint, have an increased risk of not being seen. I turn my lights on in the ST and 6 a lot earlier than I would in my old white or silver cars. Actually, in my smaller cars I tended to turn my lights on a lot earlier than most, as I did find people didn't see you...it was like people were looking for something bigger.

It's about judging the light conditons and adjusting apprpriately, I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by JoBo
    So what's it going to be? Looking 'cool' or potentially preventing a little bingle?
    Not even sure that's the choice JoBo. I reckon most people would think heavily tinted windows on a black car look about as "cool" as a pimp's gold rings and neck chain these days! Does anyone look at cars like this and do anything other than laugh at the owner?

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Hagen
    Does anyone look at cars like this and do anything other than laugh at the owner?
    You have to POINT and LAUGH .. that usually works, I had one the other day who wanted me to pull over giving me I'll bash your skull in signs .. idiot. Probably better to ignore it and it will go away.

- XTC -
    Last edited by XTC206; 6th November 2004 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Typo

Now this is a .sig

well getting past all that other stuff.......

I have the black 180 with LEGAL tint and yes it does make the car look a lot darker than it really is and possibly harder to see at around sun up or down.

as far as reading other drivers, that depends on if you intend to put it on the track on a regular basis.

but in the end it will be cooler in the car (temp) reduce load on a/c (if you use it) and helps to protect the interior from the direct sun and unwanted eyes. oh and most important breakage. go to the wrecker and try to break a tinted window....

insurance was not effected by having dark but LEGAL tint.

Quote Originally Posted by spo22a

Well I'm confused too

I've had my last 4 cars tinted and it certainly had nothing to do with the colour of the car or looking cool. It's about driving to work in the height of summer and feeling a bit more human, for example. Personally, I couldn't give a toss if other road users think I look cool or not (same as I don't give a toss if they look cool or not either!). It probably goes a long way towards explaining why I don't look cool.

I also think we've moved 20 years beyond the stage where bad tinting makes it hard to see things - so long as you don't go out of your way to find the cheapest and nastiest tint possible.

P.S. For the record the picture at left is said car with the darkest legal tint. It's not exactly mafia staff car material now, is it?
    Last edited by SLC206; 8th November 2004 at 07:58 PM.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

I have 20% tints but I havent had any problems with them.

I really did it that dark because I drive alot to Canberra, and the sun just burns the hell out of my arms, and I can't really wear sunglasses so I had to get it a little darker.
    2002 China Blue Peugeot XT
    Canberra Raiders #1 Season Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206
    Well I'm confused too

I've had my last 4 cars tinted and it certainly had nothing to do with the colour of the car or looking cool. It's about driving to work in the height of summer and feeling a bit more human, for example. Personally, I couldn't give a toss if other road users think I look cool or not (same as I don't give a toss if they look cool or not either!). It probably goes a long way towards explaining why I don't look cool.

I also think we've moved 20 years beyond the stage where bad tinting makes it hard to see things - so long as you don't go out of your way to find the cheapest and nastiest tint possible.

P.S. For the record the picture at left is said car with the darkest legal tint. It's not exactly mafia staff car material now, is it?
    I don't think anyone is having a go at moderate tints, SLC206 and MR 206. I think moderately tinted screens are great in many circumstances I drive a lot in the outback and they substantially reduce glare stress in such places. (though on a dark , gloomy, rainy day it would nice if you could temporarily get rid of them!) We have a mild to moderate tint on all our cars.

Its the heavy duty numbers, pushed beyond the legal bounds as they often are, especially on black cars, that look very ordinary in my book and seriously impede vision when driving at night, driving in the rain, driving in just about anything other than the brightest sunlight, in fact.

If you can still see the driver's facial expressions through the screen, that's good enough for me. But there are way too many cars out there that go far beyond the deisrable, or the legal.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Quote Originally Posted by DRD180
    as far as reading other drivers, that depends on if you intend to put it on the track on a regular basis.
    Couldn't disagree more, DRD. Its on the road that you need to be able to read the intentions of other drivers ALL THE TIME. If you don't eyeball the other drivers every time you are passing through an intersection, don't take notice of what that the driver in front of you is doing, don't flick an eye over the mirrors of the car in front to see if the driver has noticed you when overtaking, etc etc then you aren't doing it right.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

My 306 has tinted side windows and I find it to be a good thing as it reduuces a bit of glare in bright daylight. I personally feel that the colour of the car contributes more to visibility than the tint. Dark cars are hard to see especially in twilight when the light is fading and our vision becomes more monochromatic and contrast is greatly reduced. I have had difficulty in judging greyish/dark cars from the background as they are almost invisible in poor light or at night. Friends who have had dark cars have reported bingles when parked as other drivers have backed into them at night! (and buggered off naturally!). My other car is midnight blue and it is impossible to see without lights in the evening and I am paranoid about parking in unlit places.
    (and a bugger to keep clean!)
    2007 VW Jetta 2.0 TDi 6sp manual

2001 VW Bora 4-Motion - flooded away
    1998 Peugeot 406 SV manual - Gone to Hail Heaven
    1994 Silver S16 - Gone
    1983 505 Sti - Gone to good home

Quote Originally Posted by jester_fu
    ... that way everyone can SEE you. I put tint on my car, ..., to reduce MY visibility to other road users... n

This is my 3rd car with legal dark tint (35%) and it does NOT effect my ability to see and read other drivers, no matter where they are.
    So, fu, you say that its ok because YOU can read ME, but not a problem that I can't read YOU????

Now fu, you might "know" that your driving abilities are at least the equal of a Senna or a Michael Schumacher, that your focus while driving is impeccable, and that your senses of caution and coutesy are all thatvis needed to keep me safe if we ever met each other on the road, but personally I'd prefer to have the opportunity to make my own judgements!

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Hagen
    I don't think anyone is having a go at moderate tints, SLC206 and MR 206. I think moderately tinted screens are great in many circumstances I drive a lot in the outback and they substantially reduce glare stress in such places.
    Fair enough. I can't recall the last time I saw what I thought was an illegal tint in NSW, other than a certain mirror-tinted 206 GTi at a club meeting a few years ago. It's not something that's tolerated much by the police anymore I think - or maybe I'm just getting too old myself.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206
    Fair enough. I can't recall the last time I saw what I thought was an illegal tint in NSW, other than a certain mirror-tinted 206 GTi at a club meeting a few years ago. It's not something that's tolerated much by the police anymore I think - or maybe I'm just getting too old myself.
    I still see plenty in Victoria, SLC. Perhaps the police have been too busy with other things down here to pay them much attention.

I spot quite a few in Queensland too (where I'm spending a fair bit of time these days). Maybe the annual roadworthies in NSW make a difference to such things.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Tracked down a VicRoads pdf file dealing with legal tint levels in Victoria.

THe limit on windscreens in Victoria is 75% minimum light transmission in the "viewing area" (You can have 65mm darker band at the top of the screen)

For other windows the limit is 35% light transmission , but 70% is recommended for any glass beside or in front of the driver. Maybe some of those cars that I had assumed were "illegal" actually fit the requirements. 35% transmission is pretty dark.

Two things worth bearing in mind with such things are:

Most vehicles these days come with glass which already possesses some tint. In such cases adding film to the windcsreen in particular is quite likely to take you over the limit, even if the film itself would be legal if applied to clear glass. In fact the chances of any film which blocks 20% of light or more complying with the limits if put on factory tinted galss is very slim.

The regulations also limit reflectivity. The maximum permissable reflectivity is 10% - the same as "clear" glass.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

I also think that the tint, legal that is, helps at night when driving in dark areas. It tends to reduce the glare from cars behind. Sorta like placing the rear view mirror in night mode. It works like that on the side view mirrors when the vehicle comes up from behind. An added safety feature.
    Regards,

Garth.

Fixin' Cit's.

'19 308 GTi
    '15 DS 5
    '74 GS Convertisseur

In the family
    '51 Traction
    '08 C5 X7 V6

Previous ownership
    '95 XM V6 Series 2
    '96 306 XTDT