Life without Formula1
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Life without Formula1

well...i'm eagerly waiting for 2005 season to start as life is a bit boring....without races.....well...generally the gap b/w 2 races is 2-3 weeks....during the season.....but now when the season is over....the time passing is sooo difficult.....well...these days my fav passtime is playing formula1 PC games. wht bout u?

Advertisement

As a former devotee of both Grand Prix racing, which is for Formula One cars, and the CART series, it's incredible that this year I have seen but one race right through...

And only one or two others part way.

Would that there had been live telecasts in colour in the 60s... now that would have been good!

Fellow Frogger!

Default F1 sux

I only watched three or four races this year - the ones that were on Saturday evening our time. In every case I was reminded how boring this series has become. I may only watch a few next season too. Sad really...

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    As a former devotee of both Grand Prix racing, which is for Formula One cars, and the CART series, it's incredible that this year I have seen but one race right through...

And only one or two others part way.

Would that there had been live telecasts in colour in the 60s... now that would have been good!

I have seen most of them right through, after the first corner the race is over isnt it. Then it is just a case of who can stuff it up. F1 drivers dont pass each other on the race track only in the pits. The real award should not be for the driver but the best pit crew. Yaaawn still it can help cure insomnia. CART, well the yellow flag finish at the Gold Coast says it all really.

Bathurst for the super taxis, yellow flag ruins the race these days, why bother trying to build up a lead, as they were saying the aim is to still be there for a 30 lap sprint at the end. Back in the good ol days (ah remembering Brocky win by 6 laps) crashed cars and rescue trucks were like new shicanes in the track. The drivers went round them.

Sandown this year, of the first 20 laps more than half were under yellow flag, Yaaawn.

As for the 60's having seen some footage of those races I can only agree with you Ray.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    it's incredible that this year I have seen but one race right through...
    I hardly blame you, why watch something which is so boring & predictable.

I miss f1 and the many great duels, mika VS Shu, Sch VS jacques V, Nigel Mansell VS Prost, Senna(my idol) VS prost or anyone who ever dared to take the guy on for that matter. Im sure ray could tell us more great duels from way back in gp racing days.

They need to put in place somesort of "Cap" of teams budgets, i know given the economics of the sport this is unlikely but if its going to continue like so then well it will just continue to be boring

Well, only from magazine articles... that's the problem, we didn't have telecasts regularly until 1980...

The first World Championship GP I saw in the flesh was at Monaco in 1981, with the two highlights being Alan Jones pulling out a demon lap when he was in second place behind Piquet about four laps down... closed by 1.2 seconds in the lap.

That rattled Piquet, who hit the rev limiter in every gear for the next lap and a half... and then bounced it off a guardrail. Jones in front and going away...

Then he had a fuel pickup problem and had to pit for a splash and dash. This showed up the other highlight... the 'never say die' of Gilles Villeneuve, in an unsuitable car, just flogging it along, made it to second and then he was first when Jones pitted. So I saw a Ferrari win at Monaco.

But maybe, if you have some minutes to spare, you should read this:

http://forums.atlasf1.com/showthread...postid=1176075

If you really want some context, read my posts on that thread from about post No 282 to No 320 on that page.

I think that will convey what it used to be like...

probably my favorite era of F1 racing, that i was old enough to watch and understand was Schu vs Senna (also my favorite and idol F1/race car driver driver Iíve been lucky enough to see live coverage of and i was watching the race where they cut the footage as he went into the wall ) vs Hill vs Mansell in the late 80's and early 90's, although Mansell never did much for me as a driver and personally as a driver from the UK I preferred Damon Hill( though I may not have seen the best of Mansell).

After that the only things Iíve found interesting in F1 was when Ralf was in the Jordan Peugeot F1 and wringing its neck getting it onto podiums, or the battles between Schu and Mika, again Jacques has never really done much for me.

To me the best drivers of modern F1 are Mika and Senna. Schu is good, but he hasn't had a large amount of competition during his era. i.e. Damon was hardly ever in a good car, Mika retiring just when the Mclarenís were at there best, and Senna, well we all know what happened

there hasn't been good competition in F1 since Mika left Mclaren and these days i find it hard to stay awake to watch an entire race

Thread Information