Waxoyling - worth it??
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    8

    Default Waxoyling - worth it??

    what's your experience with the various companies who offer wax protection type packages such as WaxGuard - is it worth it, which is the best option and what sort of price is the right price? My priority would be on keeping the paintwork in good condition for sale in the future...

    thanks!

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    UFO
    UFO is offline
    CitroŽn Tragic UFO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Gerringong, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    9,702

    Default

    I agree. Rust and Paint "protection" are little more than profit makers for the dealers.

    You have to remember that modern Euro cars (and others I suppose) are so well corrosion protected that nothing that they apply after the car leaves the factory could improve it. If you are driving the car in Aus, you do not have the Euro hassles of salted roads etc to encounter.

    As an example, there are mid 80s BXs still going around in Aus with not a hint of rust. I would expect that these cars have been cared for and not parked on the beach as the tide comes in though!

    Euro BXs of a similar age have rust probs in attached components such as rear swing arms and hydraulic pipes. Bodies are less affected. My 96XM has no rust whatsoever. Mind you I wish I could say the same about the 74 D Special!!

    BTW - after market window tint is a shonk too according to a recent report I read. Glass itself cuts out over 90% of UV rays. All the after market tinting does is make it harder to see out or in.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

  3. #3
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Posts
    246

    Default Waxoyl

    I bought some Waxoyl at Halfords in the UK in 1995 and did a DIY in the box sections of my new-to-me 405 at that time. Now after owning the car for nearly 11 years, the box sections are good. I have seen other 405s in Canada with entire sill areas rotted away.

    The total cost to me was about £25, so no dealer made a massive profit...

    My advice is: DIY, spend little, and only do the box sections. Worth it? Sure, if you will keep the car a long time and realise that the inside of box sections are not painted...

  4. #4
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    16,382

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by M. Tippett
    I bought some Waxoyl at Halfords in the UK in 1995 and did a DIY in the box sections of my new-to-me 405 at that time. Now after owning the car for nearly 11 years, the box sections are good. I have seen other 405s in Canada with entire sill areas rotted away.

    The total cost to me was about £25, so no dealer made a massive profit...

    My advice is: DIY, spend little, and only do the box sections. Worth it? Sure, if you will keep the car a long time and realise that the inside of box sections are not painted...
    As far as rust preventives for box sections and cavities go (any here the words 'DS' running through there minds) Waxoyl always rates very poorly in rust prevention comparisons.

    You are far better off sourcing some Fluidfilm or the aussie made Lanoguard. They are both Lanolin based products and will 'self heal' if the protection gets scratched etc.... Really though, spraying ANY oil into the box sections will be better than nothing.

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

  5. #5
    UFO
    UFO is offline
    CitroŽn Tragic UFO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Gerringong, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    9,702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    As far as rust preventives for box sections and cavities go (any here the words 'DS' running through there minds) Waxoyl always rates very poorly in rust prevention comparisons.

    You are far better off sourcing some Fluidfilm or the aussie made Lanoguard. They are both Lanolin based products and will 'self heal' if the protection gets scratched etc.... Really though, spraying ANY oil into the box sections will be better than nothing.

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    1/ Have you ever seen a rusty sheep? no? then lanolin based stuff must be good (apparently lanolin is an aphrodisiac in some country near Aus )

    2/ re spraying oil - that is why a slow leak on a LHM Cit is always regarded as automatic rustproofing! Mind you on a LHS Cit...
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

  6. #6
    1000+ Posts Warwick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,664

    Default

    Guys I am in the car trade, and advocate a BIG FAT NO to paint/fabric protection.... any of that stuff is junk in my opinion. Stay away.
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

  7. #7
    who? when? huh? GTI124's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gordon, NSW
    Posts
    4,527

    Default

    Best thing to do is find a good detailer and have him clean and polish the car and apply a good coat of wax. Being new, you won't need to do this for 12 months.

  8. #8
    1000+ Posts Wildebeest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Perth Western Australia
    Posts
    2,678

    Default Waxoyling

    Put your hands up all long term or one owner 404's and 504's who would like to wind back the clock and have their Peugeot Waxoyled , Tectyled or similar.
    If 404 owners were aware of that foam poultice that was placed in the sill panels they would have given them the BIG A.

  9. #9
    UFO
    UFO is offline
    CitroŽn Tragic UFO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Gerringong, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    9,702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest
    Put your hands up all long term or one owner 404's and 504's who would like to wind back the clock and have their Peugeot Waxoyled , Tectyled or similar.
    If 404 owners were aware of that foam poultice that was placed in the sill panels they would have given them the BIG A.
    Just like the sealing foam in the bootlid of a DS
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

  10. #10
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,073

    Default

    Fishoil with rustinhibitors is cheap and good. It's all in getting to the crittical spots. So it's best to do it yourself.

  11. #11
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    8

    Default

    thanks for all your answers - probably saved me a few hundred!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •