Ultimate vs Optimax
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Default Ultimate vs Optimax

I decided yesterday to give Optimax a go. I have used Ultimate for ages with out a problem, but the local shell is 10c cheaper that the local bp. Usually both Ultimate and Optimax are ~the $1 but i though that i would give the Optimax a go.

Its still not good in my car. The car behaves totally differently. Yesterday with general driving the car was sluggish and had more of a tendency to ping. I use Flashlube lead replacement of the same quantity in both fuels.

Maybe its just in older cars, but I cannot understand the huge difference. Similar weather, the car is the same as it was when i was using Ultimate etc????

Are they not the same petrol??? or is this another strange rumour i have heard.

Does anyone have this problem. I will go back to Ultimate, its not really an issue for me. But do others with newer cars notice a difference between Optimax and Ultimate?

thanks

shobbz

Advertisement
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Quote Originally Posted by Shobbz
    I decided yesterday to give Optimax a go. I have used Ultimate for ages with out a problem, but the local shell is 10c cheaper that the local bp. Usually both Ultimate and Optimax are ~the $1 but i though that i would give the Optimax a go.

Its still not good in my car. The car behaves totally differently. Yesterday with general driving the car was sluggish and had more of a tendency to ping. I use Flashlube lead replacement of the same quantity in both fuels.

Maybe its just in older cars, but I cannot understand the huge difference. Similar weather, the car is the same as it was when i was using Ultimate etc????

Are they not the same petrol??? or is this another strange rumour i have heard.

Does anyone have this problem. I will go back to Ultimate, its not really an issue for me. But do others with newer cars notice a difference between Optimax and Ultimate?

thanks

shobbz

The problem may be due to running a car that was designed to run on leaded fuel on unleaded. We have petrol stations here that stock Mobil synergy, BP Ultimate. optimax. Castrol Vortex and whatever the Ampol equivalent is(though i beleive Ampol and Castrol are the same ??). I believe they are all 98 RON, and I can say Iíve never really noticed a huge difference in performance no matter which fuel I put in my car, though my preference is optimax and it is usually the cheapest. Apparently the BP stuff is a cleaner i.e. better for the environment fuel (if youíre a greenie)

Have you thought about hardened valve seats so as you can run your car on unleaded?

Would it have anything to do with the flash lube?
    Last edited by orestes; 26th October 2004 at 09:01 PM.

Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

I have mentioned in an earlier thread that I have had the best economy from 7-11 Premium. Whatever the source was not sure.
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Free
    I have mentioned in an earlier thread that I have had the best economy from 7-11 Premium. Whatever the source was not sure.
    i've seen lots of diffrent tankers pull into 7-11's

My old van ran poorly on Vortex.
    I did not try another brew in it other than the Caltex standard (on Star Card), which ended up ruining my O2 sensor.
    Current van doesn't complain with BP Ultimate. With regular unleaded, this van runs very poorly

I only use Ultimate, both on the Pug and the MX5. The MX5 seems to like it less, tending to have an unsteady idle with the stuff. Besides, there seem to be way more BP's around brisbane than anyother station so it's all good.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

normal premium should be enough for a 504

you are only running either 8.3 or 8.8 to 1 comp ratio

just run water injection and advance the timing to get the most benefit form it all
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Fellow Frogger!

This topic has been of interest amond drivers and riders alike.

BP has 91, 95 and 98 (Ultimate) RON;
    Shell's Optimax is 98 RON;
    Caltex Vortex is 98 RON; but
    Mobil Synergy 8000 is only 95 RON.

I used Optimax from day 1 on my RSC and it was perfect with no problems for the 26months I had the car. My GF's car has been filled with Optimax too for the past 12 months, no problems either.

For the bike however, I have been told to stay away from Optimax. I've heard too many stories of Optimax not going down well on bikes. The dealer I got my bike from recommended BP Ultimate.

Quote Originally Posted by blue2th

I used Optimax from day 1 on my RSC and it was perfect with no problems for the 26months I had the car. My GF's car has been filled with Optimax too for the past 12 months, no problems either.

For the bike however, I have been told to stay away from Optimax. I've heard too many stories of Optimax not going down well on bikes. The dealer I got my bike from recommended BP Ultimate.
    I don't know anything about bikes but a mate of mine was told to stay away from optimax as well.

I might do the water injection rambo, will see

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Appears in most states the companies outsource to the local refinery. So in Sydney, BP have Shell refine their fuel. However, it is refined to their specs. They're not the same fuel.

In Sydney I prefer Mobil Synergy and BP Ultimate. I'm not a fan of Optimax. I've never had a problem with Caltex Vortex when I've had to use it in an emergency, but prefer the 98 RON stuff. Apparently Caltex are bringing out a 98 soon... or so I heard...

You know, not much of what I said has been proven... not sure how much of it is true, except for what I use! Oh well.

This is wrong Vortex is 96 RON and Synergy 8000 is 98 RON.

Fellow Frogger!

I only used to use BP but then it started getting a bit to expensive so switched to optimax, and got a bad batch of fuel after a few months and went back to BP.

My mechanic rekons that BP have better quality control in place since most of their stations are company owned and not franchised out.

I just figgured ive never had a problem with BP so il just stick to that, not worth saving the 6cp/l if you have to change your fuel filter every few months, thats my thoughts.

Cheers

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by PugS16
    This is wrong Vortex is 96 RON and Synergy 8000 is 98 RON.
    Ooops, my bad. Got them the wrong way round.

The main reason I use Optimax is due to the 4 cents discount from Coles. If not for that, I'd use BP Ultimate.

On the bike with nowhere near as much fuel required per fill up, the loss of savings isn't as big.

Vortex is always the better value...

Usually 5c a litre more than ULP, and obtainable most places for 4c off with Woolworths dockets.

Shobbz... why are you using the high octane stuff? Has your head been shaved that much?

Vortex is cheaper because it has a lower octane rating (96) so it SHOULD be cheaper!

Synergy / Optimax and Ultimate are all 98 octane but I have found that Synergy is usually the most expensive with Optimax and Ultimate typically on par.

As for the whole shopper docket con.... I couldn't be bothered... @ 70 litres (not that anyone waits until the tank is totally empty to fill up) you save $2.80 per fill... I guarantee you pay much more than that extra per shop to get the docket in the first place... and Wooilies Premium is still only 95 octane and Optimax is IMHO no where near as good as Ultimate.

We run Ultimate in ALL our cars (including the older leaded models) ... except the Hdi of course..... and it has been brilliant. Pulled intro a BP the other week that didn't have Ultimate and ended up getting Optimax from next door... and I noticed the difference (rougher idle and slightly less top end performance on kick down) within 50k's....

Alternatively buy a diesel and never have to worry about any of this again!
    BX TZI Hatch
    BX TRI Hatch
    GS C-Matic

You have a carby bike?.. this is due to mainly non EFi (carby) jets cloging easier.
    BP ultimate is heavier, noticably heavier and evaporates at a much slower rate. Lots of the 2-stroke karters (all carby) complian of Optimax having too many detergents, (that clog in the jets), but these detergentes give great bottom end (rev range) properties, were as Ultimate is more top end. On my motorbike i mainly use Ultimate, or Optimax if no other 98 ron is available.
    Our fuel analyser shows that Vortex is rubbish, way to many detergents and too unstable, (sometimes as low as 91 RON...), this is information from about 300-400 go karters. - Chris
    ... ptui!

Some fuels atomise better than others. Leaded worked really well with carbs, where as unleaded does not. I doubt its an octane issue. I know of guy with an XU1 who has lots of trouble even starting with unleaded.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

interesting to see that most people stay away from optimax, i might convert to ultimate for a few tanks and see if its any different. Problem being there are a total of 1 BP service stationm 2 shell service stations, 2 mobil service stations, 1 ampol and 2 caltex (same thing ??) within driving distance of where i live, the BP being furtherst away. I can't say Iíve ever noticed a problem with Optimax and we run it generally in both my 205 and the 306, I may however have a look at BP Ultimate and see if it is any different after a few tanks as people here seem to suggest its better.

As for leaded fuels on carbie engines, would it or would it not destroy my cat converter or is that just a myth
    Last edited by orestes; 27th October 2004 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    Vortex is always the better value...

Usually 5c a litre more than ULP, and obtainable most places for 4c off with Woolworths dockets.

Shobbz... why are you using the high octane stuff? Has your head been shaved that much?
    I have tried regular unleaded, that was not a fun experience.

Ultimate has been good to me.~ 400-450kms a tank.

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

nJm

I always try to use Ultimate. It is noticably better in my old 505 - better idle, smoother reving etc. Optimax works, but not as well as BP. I also find BP is a little cheaper. On the few occaisions when I have filled the car up with Synergy it initially felt more powerful, but very soon starts running really roughly. I only tried Vortex once and the 505 threw a wobbly so I dashed to a BP station to top it up with Ultimate.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Tadpole

Funny you guys' been praising the Ultimate so much - from all my mates including myself' experience, BP's got the worst premium unleaded fuel, even worst than Vortex!!! Optimax is always the best and Mobil Synegy is not far away, fuel consumption figures and 0-100km/h times seems to confirm it too...

You know, there was a time when every petrol was fine and all were the same...

But we had lead in the fuel then. And it lasted too.

On the mobil synergy bowzer it says 98 RON?
    1990 series 1, 405 Mi16 <-- Sold
    1998 Nissan 180sx TypeX, 2lt, rwd Turbo.

Fellow Frogger!

I too am going to try Ultimate for the next 4 fill ups on my GF's car to see if there's much difference.

My bike is carbie, so that could be why. But have not used Optimax on it, so won't know if it'll cause problems.

I do remember my Renault dealer also recommending BP when I picked up the RSC.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason20
    On the mobil synergy bowzer it says 98 RON?
    Yup, we worked that out, I got them mixed up, the Vortex has 95/96 RON.

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread Information