Funny french car moments
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Funny french car moments

Whats your funny french car moment. By which i mean have you ever had a situation where people looked at your car funny, didnt know what to do with it, made stupid or strange comments about it. Im sure we have all had such situations, in particular upsy-downsy citroen owners & other older rarer french makes.

I havent had anything too strange, just abuse from tyre & wheel shops & being teased by holden barina drivers who beat me in traffic light GP's . However i do remeber my father having a few funny incidents with his many 504's & 505. Things such as mechanics calling him to find out where the spare wheel & battery were, how to open the bonnet, that sort of thing.

Have you had any funny incidents??

Advertisement

nJm

When I got the tyres replaced on my 505 they couldn't work out how to open the bonnet (to do free check of the battery).

I think the 505 is a pretty mainstream car though, so tend not to get any funny things happening. People love that you can indicate, flash the highbeams and beep the horn with one finger though
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

I remeber a friend telling me when he first drove a 205 gti, he didnt know how the reverse gear worked, he ended up leaving the car in the middle of a little surburban st & ran to his mates house to ask him how to use the reverse gear

probably the funiest french car moments, that i have been been a part of haven't been in any of the familes french cars. Things like people jumping into manual 405's and not understanding the gears, or in a famiy friends 403 i've had many a laugh at people who cant understand column shift

The 403's petrol cap was the classic...

It led to all sorts of humorous moments, and moments of frustration. A cousin had one and let his mum take it to town... well, 'town' was sixty miles away, and so she went to get petrol... and couldn't find the cap.

Those days the servos used to actually have someone in the driveway to put the stuff in... time after time they'd have to ask the owner where to put it!

You could, if you wanted, have some fun with the French parking lights on 404s...

Ray, my knowledge isnt to good with 403's, where is the fuel cap situated???

Tell ya what...

Someone can organise for a 403 to be available, then we'll time how long it takes you to find it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    Tell ya what...

Someone can organise for a 403 to be available, then we'll time how long it takes you to find it!
    That will give me something to do at the next PCCV meeting.

O yeah i forgot, some bloke comes up to me & goes "mate thats a nice honda, is it turbo"

It's funny i do get alot of boy racers asking me if my car is turbo, i just respond "No, i dont need it, i got enough pounds in the car when your mum is sitting in it"

Yeah, well make sure they time you...

It's considered bad form for anyone to reveal where a 403 petrol cap is unless the person being informed is about to refuel the car.

Not like the Renault 750... it was considered mandatory to tell everyone where its fuel cap was to prevent them filling the radiator with petrol!

1000+ Posts

Like the early Porsche 911 - the oil cap for the dry sump tank was under a flap which looked remarkably like a fuel filler flap...

A friend of mine had to leave my car in the middle of a 3 point turn half-blocking my street as he didn't realise it was a lift up reverse. Luckily I live in a wide, quiet street, and it was only a couple of minutes.

Different sort of story, I once was giving a group of girls a lift in my car, they all got in and liked it, but of course, had no idea what it was. One of them asked "Is this a Nissan". My reply "No....it's a ....Peugeot" unintentionally had just the right tone, and just enough pauses in it, and in the right places, to make me sound like a complete ******.
    Care factor = -273.15ļC

Being asked what year my Torana was.

That was a very low day for peugeot.

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Originally posted by Shobbz
    Being asked what year my Torana was.....
    Not unsurprising...

There was a 504 that the detectives in Blue Heelers looked at closely... but filmed from odd angles... and it was identified clearly as a Torana.

Poor 504!

had a repco employe try to tell me that i "must be mistaken, theres no such thing as a 504, you've gotten confused with a peugeot 405"

had new tires fitted, and they were running a complimentry 'fluid top up' service, watched the mechanic try to pour oil down the dipstick pipe in the 504. also they couldnt find the bonnet pull thing.

but ah well, i never knew where it was the first time either......so i cant point the finger....

Originally posted by 1971504sedan
    had a repco employee try to tell me that I "must be mistaken, there's no such thing as a 504, you've gotten confused with a peugeot 405"
    Oh what a classic!

had new tires fitted, and they were running a complimentry 'fluid top up' service, watched the mechanic try to pour oil down the dipstick pipe in the 504.....
    What?

That would be harder than the right place, and that's more than hard enough!

Except on the XN6 engine, of course...

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

When I sold my 505 and bought a 405 a guy I know said "What, you sold your Peugeot and bought a Holden?!"

"Ah, no, I didn't actually, this one is a Peugeot too. The Peugeot badge is a lion standing up, the Holden badge is a lion sitting with a ball..."

I can't think of any Holden that looks like a 405!
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

In bad light maybe...

The front wheel drive Gemini, or maybe a Camira?

Administrator

Watching someone trying to open the boot on a Fuego is always amusing...

As is watching someone trying to find reverse on an R12...the fact that the gear lever feels like its stuck in a bowl of porridge probably doesn't help...

pink slip inspection, bloke started jacking passenger side front before i got to the car. saw the look on his face as car kept rising, wheel stayed on ground.

i tried to explain.

he pointed to the drivers side and said "is it the same on the other side?"
    Time Flies like an arrow. Fruit Flies like a banana
    Xantia

UFO

On the D Special, rego check, the guy was checking the rear lights and told me the rear indicators were not working - until I pointed out where they are. "Oh yeah!" he goes, I forgot
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Default "Funny" cars!

I've had a few funny looks when I've shown people over the wife's Scenic - they find the "voice-activated" radio quite incredible - you know - "louder!", "louder!", "softer!", "softer!", "Off!", "On!" - of course you don't let them see your right hand on the remote control - works real well in the dark!
    Actually most people seem to believe it - I guess because these days it doesn't seem so incredible.

In the deep dark past, when I had a small workshop, I had a couple of customers with 504's. I can remember making "funny" comments about the design of a master cylinder pointing downwards so you can't bleed it! And some more "funny" comments about the location of the rear x-member insulators in the sill panels when I renewed one. And some more "funny" comments about making a special tool to undo the engine/bell-housing bolts (recessed allen heads)! They were a good car, but my conclusion was that they had specially redesigned things just to make them harder to work on!

Cheers.

Default R 10 , 407

I had a R10 when I was at school and the neighbors wife opened the boot to put the school bags in and got a shock to find an engine!

Sydney motor show had to ask the guy on the stand where the boot release was .
    Any one else found it?

Its in the middle of theO in 4 "0" 7 badge seems Peugeot still has a sence of humour

finding where to fuel up a 404 has to be the most entertaining thing for people who don't know 404's, i just remembered that with people talking about the 403. I think its harder finding the petrol cap in a 404 then it is in a 403 if you don't know what your looking for. No comments on where it is so we can give asanka something else to look for

there was even more fun and wierd looks when you got out a crank handle because your 404 wouldn't start or you misplaced your keys . Also that was rather scary, as there was enough compresion to easily break your arm if it kicked back on you . The fun of the last pug that could be crank started
    Last edited by orestes; 25th October 2004 at 01:02 AM.

I don't know that the 404's petrol cap was so hard to find...

There were several cars that had a similar arrangement, Customlines IIRC, maybe the Chrysler Royal, certainly the HQ Holden.

And what's hard about the bellhousing bolts on a 504? I think they're easier than those (similar) bolts on a 404, certainly easier than the top bolts on a 203, and they were regular hex-headed bolts.

because of the roll cage and extras, I often get asked about the legalities of "driving a rally car on the street"....and if its the same model as those "rally guys?"... - Chris
    ... ptui!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information