Other GTI badged cars
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    1000+ Posts Stone Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!
    Posts
    1,411

    Default Other GTI badged cars

    This got me thinking last night. I saw a Corrolla with a massive "GTI 16V" printed down the side outside my flat last night. Sounded awful, but that is beside the pint. I am curious as to what other cars come in a GTI. Obviously there are your Pugs and Cits and Golfs. But like I sat behind a Seat Ibiza GTI the other day; got no idea how those things fare up. Anyone like to share??

    Advertisement
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6


    ......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.



    "I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

  2. #2
    Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Parkes - N.S.W - Australia - Earth
    Posts
    12,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stone Free
    This got me thinking last night. I saw a Corrolla with a massive "GTI 16V" printed down the side outside my flat last night. Sounded awful, but that is beside the pint. I am curious as to what other cars come in a GTI. Obviously there are your Pugs and Cits and Golfs. But like I sat behind a Seat Ibiza GTI the other day; got no idea how those things fare up. Anyone like to share??

    there is also the proton satria GTI as well

    as far as i know the protons aren't that bad a car and they come in any colour you like so long as it is silver in the GTI form

    they also have lotus tuned suspension in them
    3 x '78 604 SL

    1 x '98 306 GTi6

    1 x secret project

    1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

    1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

    1 x 1994 605 SV3.0


    WTD long range fuel tank for 605

  3. #3
    1000+ Posts dino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    4,569

    Default

    Actually all the cars you ve mentioned ARE pretty bloody GOOD....I ve had a few golfs and the GTi desrves the cult status....ceartinly from my experinec the only things that could give them any competition were rx4 rx3 cars, hotted up v8 of the era....most stock v8s back then would be EATEN by most of the cars you mentioned.....The little TOYOTA....is a little RIPPER in my opinion and although driving feedback is not in the 205 gti category...you could ceartinly trow the car around and it had a LIGHTNESS to it that made it quite PUNCHY...brakes were quite good 2 unlike in the 205......The cupra is probably more like a 205 and is quicker but I found it to small interior wise......There is the Suzuki...and although its a little screamer...quality and style was really below par IMO, space was CHICK size ......they should have made a 1.8....bity more torque and it would have felt more like a real GTi......I think a Gti should have PUNCH not just manevourability...I m not sure about the proton but have had more than a couple for lunch with my gti......I think of it as a disposable Gti....I ca not see its componentry nor its status lasting long.....but there are plenty of brain dead that might keep it going.......


    cheerss


    dino

  4. #4
    Fellow Frogger! crosspug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Newcastle, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    547

    Icon10

    There was also the (in)famous Suzuki Swift GTi. Not bad for a 1300CC engine... certainly good bang for your buck and lots of fun on a budget.
    Yeah baby......

    It also depends on how many letters you want to allow, theres the Charade GTti, Pulsar GTiR

    Or is that pushing the friendship?

    Jono

    BTW My friend has one of the Corolla GTi's, nice car he has barrells of fun in it. Its just a stripped out SX (ie no power windows, aircon) with the 100Kw engine as far as I know, kind of like a real UK spec Rallye Pug.
    Last edited by crosspug; 21st October 2004 at 10:14 AM.
    1989 BX16Valve

    "Resting" 1983 505 STi

  5. #5
    1000+ Posts dino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    4,569

    Default

    the GTiR is a MONSTER......its in a league of its own....I d say....if you are thirsty/hungry for a 205T16....the GtiR is the only budget alternative although I wasn t that impressed with its SHARP CORNER and off-boost manevourability/handling....they handle broader curves much better and acceleration is just STUPID ....



    cheers


    dino

  6. #6
    1000+ Posts dino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    4,569

    Default

    .....the honda CRX of the late eiighties should have carried a GTi badge....it was desrving IMO.....



    cheers


    dino

  7. #7
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    16,370

    Default

    The GTi (or GT) badge is usually just a marketing tool ... Nothing at all to do with the abilities of the car.

    However insurance companies love 'em. Whack "GT" in a cars description and see how much extra they'll want to insure. Now .... Should I go pry the GTi badge off my CX2500 GTi Turbo

    I betcha if you ring an insurance company and get a quote on a BX19 GT (a carby fed 8valve BX) and a BX16valve (16valve 160hp BX) the GT will cost more

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

  8. #8
    1000+ Posts CHRI'S16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,298

    Default

    There is also a few other odd ones, like Charade Gtti and Skyline GTi-s ( a four door Jap only model), ford Escort GTi.... Mk1 and Mk2 Golfs were real Gti's. Tekkie races a Swift Gti, and of course there is masses and variations of GT cars, fords to Ferraries... GTO, GTV, GTR, GTS, GTS-T, GTB, GT40, GTP, GTX.... the list goes on. - Chris
    ... ptui!

  9. #9
    1000+ Posts TroyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    2,511

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CHRI'S16
    There is also a few other odd ones, like Charade Gtti and Skyline GTi-s ( a four door Jap only model)
    Fiat Punto HGT.

    Troy.

  10. #10
    1000+ Posts Stone Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!
    Posts
    1,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dino
    the GTiR is a MONSTER......its in a league of its own....I d say....if you are thirsty/hungry for a 205T16....the GtiR is the only budget alternative although I wasn t that impressed with its SHARP CORNER and off-boost manevourability/handling....they handle broader curves much better and acceleration is just STUPID ....



    cheers


    dino
    Didn't someone on here do a quarter mile against the Pulsar GTiR with their GTi6 (and got comprenhensively beaten)? Don't see many of those Pulsars around I have to say.

    I have to also add that you don't see many GTI cars around full stop. I have only seen a couple of early Mk1 or 2 Golf gtis around. Obviously their production runs are limited (only 400 gti6s in Oz for example).

    Oh, and GTI, as a marketing tool works for me! Much better than an SLX badge for example
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6


    ......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.



    "I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

  11. #11
    Fellow Frogger! ajpolden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Launceston, Tasmania
    Posts
    291

    Icon7

    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    I betcha if you ring an insurance company and get a quote on a BX19 GT (a carby fed 8valve BX) and a BX16valve (16valve 160hp BX) the GT will cost more

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    Got that right - one i rang when i first got the car (after checking all the books to see if this particular model even existed...) Wouldn't even insure the car as it was a "category 7" vehicle - "i'm afraid we can't insure cars in this category"
    RACT insured it for a normal amount though - considering i'm in a "high risk" age group (21yrs)

    Seriously though, many of these small "GTxxx" cars have plenty of get up and go and i have certainly put many a bommadore to shame in my BX
    Current:
    1999 406SV (D8)
    Previous:
    1986 BX19GT

  12. #12
    WLB
    WLB is offline
    1000+ Posts WLB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Warragul, Vic.
    Posts
    1,103

    Default

    Not sure about current models, but Protons were always overpriced (in Oz) superseded Mitsubishis built under licence. Proton has owned Lotus for a number of years.
    Seat was an independent Spanish car until bought by VW some years ago. All those in Australia are of the VW variety and perform accordingly.

  13. #13
    1000+ Posts Stone Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!
    Posts
    1,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WLB
    Not sure about current models, but Protons were always overpriced (in Oz) superseded Mitsubishis built under licence. Proton has owned Lotus for a number of years.
    Seat was an independent Spanish car until bought by VW some years ago. All those in Australia are of the VW variety and perform accordingly.
    So, are you saying that the Seat GTI is good or pants? It looked not too bad from where I was sitting, but the wheels always look too small and the back too high.
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6


    ......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.



    "I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    QLD
    Posts
    47

    Default

    To Just a fool.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pugrambo

    they also have lotus tuned suspension in them



    Is that, like, sticking grasshopers in the dampers instead of a fluid... or maybe milking grasshopers to make the fluid in the dampers?

    There was also the (in)famous Suzuki Swift GTi. Not bad for a 1300CC engine... certainly good bang for your buck and lots of fun on a budget.
    .
    .
    .

    Did you have "locust" in mind when you posted your reply?

    Chance

  15. #15
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    6,248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stone Free
    So, are you saying that the Seat GTI is good or pants? It looked not too bad from where I was sitting, but the wheels always look too small and the back too high.
    It's essentially a Golf floorpan with a warmish 1.8 16V. I think it may be a bit lighter than a Golf. Supposed to be quite good.

  16. #16
    1000+ Posts tekkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dino
    .....The little TOYOTA....is a little RIPPER in my opinion and although driving feedback is not in the 205 gti category...you could ceartinly trow the car around and it had a LIGHTNESS to it that made it quite PUNCHY...brakes were quite good 2 unlike in the 205......
    ......There is the Suzuki...and although its a little screamer...they should have made a 1.8....bity more torque and it would have felt more like a real GTi......I think a Gti should have PUNCH not just manevourability...

    dino
    Oh yeah the 86-87 Rolla GTi with eh 4Age motor is a beauty well worthy of the GTi badge.

    On the Swift... in stock form it had the same power as the 205.... and 30Nm less torque and 200kg less.
    Shitty brakes, and very neutral suspension settings hid nicely balanced chassis.


    There there was the 306GTi , and if the RCS had a GTi badge it would have been well deserved. Not too sure about the 505GTi though... nice cars but a GTi?
    .
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

    EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40


  17. #17
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    409

    Default

    pfft, Gti has got nothing on VTS i tell ya.

  18. #18
    Banned orestes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sunshine Coast
    Posts
    4,520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tekkie
    Oh yeah the 86-87 Rolla GTi with eh 4Age motor is a beauty well worthy of the GTi badge.

    On the Swift... in stock form it had the same power as the 205.... and 30Nm less torque and 200kg less.
    Shitty brakes, and very neutral suspension settings hid nicely balanced chassis.


    There there was the 306GTi , and if the RCS had a GTi badge it would have been well deserved. Not too sure about the 505GTi though... nice cars but a GTi?
    the 4AG and its varients have a bit of a cult status... i personally wouldn't mind a 4AGZE in a toyota levin

  19. #19
    Fellow Frogger! berzerker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    123

    Default

    Mitsubishi Colt gti

    Nissan Sentra gti
    Nissan Almera gti (basically a pulsar)
    Nissan R390 gti (this is a real beast but not your typical gti)

  20. #20
    1000+ Posts mr bern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Melbourne (or touring)
    Posts
    1,152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stone Free
    Didn't someone on here do a quarter mile against the Pulsar GTiR with their GTi6 (and get comprehensively beaten)? Don't see many of those Pulsars around I have to say.
    Jeez, I'm glad I didn't know about that before I took on a black one in April last year in Springy Rd in a good, clean, rolling-start sprint to 80, and put him well and truly in his place -- unless he was off song, or wasn't trying (because I wasn't, really) ... driven by a clod, too, who was so keen to get onto Whitehorse Road to show me what it could do that he failed to notice that I was stopped in front of him waiting for cross traffic. Did more damage to him than to me, though -- barely grazed my paintwork (subsequently fixed courtesy of a Honda in another incident who assumed that I'd have ample room to keep going on the other side of a railway crossing), but stove in his indicator light ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Other GTI badged cars-bumpered.jpg  
    MY15 208GTi

    previously:
    MY10 Sportium HDi6 and 1.6L auto
    MY99 206GTi
    MY96 306XSi auto
    MY02 Clio 1.4L auto

    1ére grenouille:
    MY5? Simca Aronde 90A



    QUICK! MORE BREAD, MORE CIRCUSES!!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •