Anyone removed car tint before
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Anyone removed car tint before

Hey all,

The tint on my rear window (306) is starting to peal and looks absolutely shocking. Not sure if I am going to get a retint. Just want to remove the tint for now. ANyone tried before?

How hard will it be.

Advice appreciated.

Advertisement

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreekFrog
    Hey all,

The tint on my rear window (306) is starting to peal and looks absolutely shocking. Not sure if I am going to get a retint. Just want to remove the tint for now. ANyone tried before?

How hard will it be.

Advice appreciated.

you will need acetone, razor blade, good window cleaner and a strong stomach

using a rag or brush put the acetone on the tint and using the razor blade gently scrape the tint off

you will need more acetone on the glass to remove the residue from the tint glue and then you will need the window cleaner to clean the glass

you will need plenty of time and a strong stomach as the smell of the window tint glue is pretty strong and not a very good smell

the other way around it is to get someone else to do it at around $100/window

i have done it quite a few times now and i don't envy the blokes that do it for a living
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Icon4

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    you will need acetone, razor blade, good window cleaner and a strong stomach

using a rag or brush put the acetone on the tint and using the razor blade gently scrape the tint off

you will need more acetone on the glass to remove the residue from the tint glue and then you will need the window cleaner to clean the glass

you will need plenty of time and a strong stomach as the smell of the window tint glue is pretty strong and not a very good smell

the other way around it is to get someone else to do it at around $100/window

i have done it quite a few times now and i don't envy the blokes that do it for a living
    Rear window.. extreme caution working around your heater strips, peel as much of the tint as you can (use a hair dryer to soften adhesive) before taking to it with a razor. Good luck not a fun job.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

try & strike a deal with a window tinter, remove old tint+reapply a new tint & i'll give you whatever amount you deem appropriate. I too have crappy window tinting & am planning to remove & reapply mine. It seems like an easy job to do (removing tint) but the hassel of doing it is what turns me off

Tadpole

try & strike a deal with a window tinter, remove old tint+reapply a new tint & i'll give you whatever amount you deem appropriate. I too have crappy window tinting & am planning to remove & reapply mine. It seems like an easy job to do (removing tint) but the hassel of doing it is what turns me off
    Advice already taken. I did some research and found this tips page and are going with them to remove the tint and get them to re-tint my windows. It all looked too hard. Here's a tinters way to remove tint.
    Tint Professor

WLB

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreekFrog
    Advice already taken. I did some research and found this tips page and are going with them to remove the tint and get them to re-tint my windows. It all looked too hard. Here's a tinters way to remove tint.
    Tint Professor
    Glad wrap works quite well too, applied over the wet film. It stops the water from evaporating. Also, for side windows, wet newspaper held in place with a piece of carton cardboard (corrugated) and masking tape. If you know a doctor, borrow his pin-wheel (a skin sensation tester) and carefully run it back and forth across the film. It's like a pizza cutter with needles and will perforate the film and let the water in faster. The glue is water soluble so acetone is best avoided if possible, as it creates a sticky mess.

Take previous advice!
    I recently had 2 rear door wind-up windows tint removed and renewed at $66 each.
    This was quality 3M tint job.
    The agent did not take Visa so I filled in the waiting time by walking to the nearest ATM to get cash - about 45 mins each way.
    When I returned car was parked outside - finished - too easy!
    Having previously removed tint from one hatchback rear screen myself, I would never do it again.
    I guess the rear screen would cost a bit more, but I believe it is about $300 for the whole car (Remove old tint & replace with new). Good value.
    Good Luck.

WLB

Quote Originally Posted by Fordman
    Take previous advice!
    I recently had 2 rear door wind-up windows tint removed and renewed at $66 each.
    This was quality 3M tint job.
    If you were working an old car with easily removed door glass, just soak it in the bath. It will come off quite easily.
    But I'd never do it again either. It's money well spent. (Like repairing punctures).

Yes, I have (several times), no trouble at all!

Moisten the film with spraying thinners; after a few minutes it will be softened; lift an edge with a blade and pull off in sheets; clean-up all the glue residue with thinners.
    N.B. Don't get thinners on anything else.

Caution - Fire ! :
    (Don't ever risk a hair dryer, or any other potential heat/spark source, near flammable liquids and fumes)

the steam from a kettle works well on the delicate sections ie rear window with demister . I'd stay away from the solvents if you want to still have a liver unless your drinking the stuff

Thread Information