Minor forum changes
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Minor forum changes

Just a couple of things I've noticed;

* Sigs are getting too big. Not just with pics, but text as well. Why does there need to be anymore info other than name or vehicle?

* PM box size. I keep hitting my limit. Is there any possibility we can get the box size increased? Yes I know I can download all PMs in one go now.

* Posting in FS section. Can the restriction be lifted now? I think most people have learnt their lesson. There have been occasions where a helpful post is required, like 'I know this car and it is very neat' or any of the wanted ads really.

These poor people probably don't know what is going on;

WANTED: 405 Mi16
    Wanted ++++ 205 GTi 1995 grey

and why could this guy reply? Was it moved from another section?

R15 for sale

Advertisement

Keep up the good work

1000+ Posts

I agree with you on the PM problem Brenno - mine is set at 300 and I keep hitting it

Depending on database size, gibgib may be able to increase it.
    I've put a post in each of the threads you listed asking do people want them moved.

Derek.

If you want a typical example as to why the For Sale threads are locked on here, take a look at the Cit Car Club Forum.
    There's a guy done one posting, then edited it at a later date and three or four responses from a long time user of thiis board almost begging for more info.
    My guess is that the seller has possibly forgotten he's posted it on the board or accidentally surfed in one night and dropped it on but hasn't been back since to check, hence there's a seller who potentially may have a buyer.
    If the same system applied there as here, the respondent couldn't post there in the first place and would have no option but to either phone or e-mail the seller in which case there's a chance a deal may be struck.
    As it stands, nothing is likely to transpire so apart from it being a waste of time & space, it's also not a very wise way to sell a car. Recent sales on that board were confirmed by the sellers yet there were no responses shown on the board which speaks for itself. People wanting to buy or sell a certain car aren't necessarily interested in a public debate on the issue and most that are usually end up being time wasters.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

I am also a little annoyed at the lack of ability to reply to posts in the for sale forum. It gets on my nerves when I see a moderator reply with a casual comment (the type any other user would make) in one of these threads...

Just my 2c.

-- DJ

bigger inboxes please!! Im struggling to deal with all my fan mail at the best of times

and increase the attachment size limit

Quote Originally Posted by DJ-Studd
    I am also a little annoyed at the lack of ability to reply to posts in the for sale forum. It gets on my nerves when I see a moderator reply with a casual comment (the type any other user would make) in one of these threads...

Just my 2c.

-- DJ
    Why? are you interested in buying something or just simply wanting to make small talk, tell the seller he/she is asking too much/too little or comment on the fact that the car they want to sell is very hard to sell and he/she will be lucky if they ever sell it?? Because that's what's happened in the past which is why little was ever sold off this board.
    As has been pointed out before, if the buyer or seller is genuinely interested in hearing the thoughts of others and requests the membership in general to come aboard, then it can be posted in the forum for the specific brand and the general chat can begin & end there.
    However, the present system offers buyers and sellers the option of confidentiality in their business dealings.
    As far as mods making comments, I don't agree with that either but the one you refer to was abroad when this was initially discussed and as a result possibly hasn't been fully informed of the ruling.
    If you feel so strongly about it I suggest you PM him & point out what he's done as obviously nobody else has & I agree that small talk even from a Mod is still small talk & unnecessary.

Alan S

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    Why? are you interested in buying something or just simply wanting to make small talk, tell the seller he/she is asking too much/too little or comment on the fact that the car they want to sell is very hard to sell and he/she will be lucky if they ever sell it?? Because that's what's happened in the past which is why little was ever sold off this board.
    As has been pointed out before, if the buyer or seller is genuinely interested in hearing the thoughts of others and requests the membership in general to come aboard, then it can be posted in the forum for the specific brand and the general chat can begin & end there.
    However, the present system offers buyers and sellers the option of confidentiality in their business dealings.
    As far as mods making comments, I don't agree with that either but the one you refer to was abroad when this was initially discussed and as a result possibly hasn't been fully informed of the ruling.
    If you feel so strongly about it I suggest you PM him & point out what he's done as obviously nobody else has & I agree that small talk even from a Mod is still small talk & unnecessary.

Alan S

Agreed.

The mods do the modding we do the nodding.

Everybody happy.

I personally think that people should be allowed to post in the forsale.

Positive and negative comments.

Its a posting on a public forum, its gotta be open for comment. There are many other places to sell a car. If it gets out of hand the mods can handle it.

Yay mods.

its the lack of sleep i tells ya

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Greetings

Quote Originally Posted by macquered
    * Sigs are getting too big. Not just with pics, but text as well. Why does there need to be anymore info other than name or vehicle?
    I agree. There is a certain Asanka fellow with a sizable picture in his signature.
    I've joined "the club of lots of text" with mine recently
    There is a signature abuse user group created, no one has ever joined it yet.

* PM box size. I keep hitting my limit. Is there any possibility we can get the box size increased? Yes I know I can download all PMs in one go now.
    Yes we can but there has to be a cut off point. The current limit is 70 pm's which is quite high.
    Yep, you can download your entire PM text in one go. There are options down the bottom for different file extensions to import into common programs.

The database is now 490 megs. This includes all the attachment files, post & PM's.
    I do a server side backup every 2 days.
    This also remains on the server, so far = 1 gig.
    The site, with all articles, downloads & content is approx 400 megs.
    Our space allocation thanks to DCSI is 2 gigs.
    2 gigs - 1.4 gigs = 600 megs left.
    Our database increases by 15 megs / week, not to mention new articles on the site, will leave us with 40 weeks until allocation is fully spent.
    Why keep a backup of the forum on the server?
    If the site goes down bigtime I can work with technical support over the phone even if I'm away from a computer to recreate the database from saved .sql file.
    This is worst case.
    Chris or Brad can work on restoring things as well.

* Posting in FS section. Can the restriction be lifted now? I think most people have learnt their lesson. There have been occasions where a helpful post is required, like 'I know this car and it is very neat' or any of the wanted ads really.
    I think the for sale section is good now, but I do miss the off topic chat like "I used to own one of those" yada yada yada...
    It is possible to have a sub forum within the for sale forum to discuss what's in the for sale forum. This would possibly defeat the original purpose however.

Thanks for the feedback, didn't realise the db was so big

Don't forget those who also need to do a remote backup one a month, however why you'd need to keep 70 PM's in your box is beyond me, however AlanS with his 266 really shows you how organised that man is

Currently only 1 person has 70 messages, and that's turbopeugeot306. Also there are only 12 users with over 60 PM's.

I think the For Sale section is also fine as it is.
    Last edited by Brad; 7th October 2004 at 11:55 PM.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Because that's what's happened in the past which is why little was ever sold off this board.

Alan S

That's fair enough, however before the silence of the forsale, I had personally bought 2 cars (504, 205) and lots of bits and pieces from that forum.... I don't think you could exactly call it an unproductive forum in regards to making sales!

-- DJ

1000+ Posts

....and why could this guy reply? Was it moved from another section?

R15 for sale
    Yep...from the Renault forum.

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    Currently only 1 person has 70 messages, and that's turbopeugeot306. Also there are only 12 users with over 60 PM's.
    When you max out it means people can't send you anything .. which can actually be a good thing sometimes (if you havn't already added them to your ignore list) ... no issues with 70 here.

- XTC -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    Don't forget those who also need to do a remote backup one a month, however why you'd need to keep 70 PM's in your box is beyond me, however AlanS with his 266 really shows you how organised that man is

I think the For Sale section is also fine as it is.
    I have the rotary hoe all serviced waiting for you the day you rock up here for the working bee BTW. How's that for being organised??

Alan S

1000+ Posts

I have the rotary hoe all serviced waiting for you the day you rock up here for the working bee BTW. How's that for being organised??

Alan S
    What's the definition of a rotary hoe?

An old slapper driving a Mazda.

Oh, sometimes I kill myself...

Stupie

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    What's the definition of a rotary hoe?
    An old slapper driving a Mazda.
    Oh, sometimes I kill myself...
    Stupie
    Don't know if these folks would appreciate that tag

http://www.rotary.org/

- XTC -

Now this is a .sig

Quote Originally Posted by gibgib
    Greetings

I agree. There is a certain Asanka fellow with a sizable picture in his signature.
    Who me??

bigger attachments cough cough

Could the For Sale forum allow posters to put up another post to say that the car has been sold? If only the original poster and moderators can post then it would stop the things that caused it to be locked in the first place.
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

Quote Originally Posted by Pugnut403
    Could the For Sale forum allow posters to put up another post to say that the car has been sold? If only the original poster and moderators can post then it would stop the things that caused it to be locked in the first place.
    Could work well. I'll look into if it can be done.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

could the original poster have the power of the moderator on his post only in the For Sale forum? That way he could lock/unlock his thread and allow or disallow comments.

The most recent example of things straying from the original intent was on the thread about 924 for sale.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

bigger attachments............. cough cough <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tekkie
    could the original poster have the power of the moderator on his post only in the For Sale forum? That way he could lock/unlock his thread and allow or disallow comments.

The most recent example of things straying from the original intent was on the thread about 924 for sale.

the original poster of a thread in the for sale section is able to reply and edit his/her own post/thread

with the thread about the porsche, orestes has taken it a lot further than needed

he basically stated how under rated a 924 is but has put Mi-16's down in this forum time after time

now bieng a frog forum i find it strange that a member can put a frog down with one hand but then state that a 924 is worth more than their market price

he has stated and spent the majority of one thread debating how an Mi-16 is not worth more than $5k in good condition

i begin to wonder at times
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

PR,

I wasnt talking about the content of the said message. Just illusatrating how the threads tend to wonder off the topic. If the seller chooses to keep the topic on track he would be able to choose if there should be replies or not. Ie either power of veto or total ban on any replies (ie locked thread).

On the topic of the 924... we all have opinions. whethere its about a french or non french car is irrelevant, the originator of the topic obviously didnt think it was helping him in selling the item.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    he has stated and spent the majority of one thread debating how an Mi-16 is not worth more than $5k in good condition. i begin to wonder at times
    I car is only worth what you can actually sell it for .. period. If there's not a single buyer then it's worth nothing. Cash is liquid, cars are not.

- XTC -

Now this is a .sig

With reference to the content of some of the above messages, can I say
    "I rest my case"

All this has done is really proven that the reasoning behind the for sale board is that it is a "For Sale" board and not a Forum for the reasons just graphically illustrated.

Alan S

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information