I have now driven a Clio Sport
  • Register
  • Help
    Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

Default I have now driven a Clio Sport

Yes, my GF's flatmate let me have a bit of a spin in her RCS last night. My initial impressions are that the engine revs a while lot freer than the 205 or 306 that I am accustomed to, but doesn't have the torque, especially compared with the 306. The ride was great and I would rate the suspension; it both stuck on the road well, but wasn't bone jarring like the 205. I couldn't get used to the steering wheel position as it felt a bit high for me. Be that as it may, like any car it would take some getting used to. (I am still unsure how the RCS would rate against a gti180 as I have yet to drive the latter.)

Advertisement

Anyone had similar impressions?
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

the usable engine torque (200nm) is a good feature of the clio sport... maybe you got a drove a dud one...

Administrator

The new RCS 182 has 80% of it's maximum torque available from just 2000 rpm and it makes maximum power at a fairly low 6500 rpm.

Against the stopwatch it may not be much quicker than cars such as the Pug GTi 180 but on the road, it's flexibilty is what puts it well ahead.

Getting caught slightly out of the power band in a Clio isn't such a big deal, as the torque will still be there to drive out of corners.

Try the same trick in something like an Integra type R and your left wondering where your 180 horsepower just went...

Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

Yeah, I am well used to the way I can wind the Pug out more at higher rev ranges. I noticed also that the revs seemed to literally jump from 3 grand to 6 grand whereas the first 3 grand were a bit slower. I could also be mistaken.
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

The Clio has far more torque than my old s16. Definitely shoots faster to the redline as well

s16

My gf has a clio sport too, quicker car in every respect to the s16. What i loved was how stiff the clio feels, changes direction so quickly and always feels so pointy. Has great throttle responce too, good torque and light weight certainly help there. Driving position and and low rent cabin (seats aside) are the only flies in the oinment. Can't wait to take a 182 for a spin though.
    Scott

'95 306 S16 - gone to a good home

'02 Renault Sport Clio - Monaco Blue

Wouldn't mind seeing the torque curves of both the Gti180 and RSC together to compare. The Gti180 seems like it has a very good spread of torque right across the Rev range. Anyone seen them side by side ?
    -*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
    2004 Black 206 GTi 180
    -*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Thread Information