So, what year's your car, Stuey?
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default So, what year's your car, Stuey?

I never really take much notice of these things, but my Pug was built July 1990, complianced Sept 1991 and sold Sept 1992. Is this a normal time lag between compliancing and sale? Or is this just because it's a French car in Australia?

Stuey

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

You can sell it as a 1991.
    JoBo

You can thank Alfa Romeo Australia for that. Apparently back in the early 1980's when things like Alfettas had a shocking reputation and were slow sellers, Alfa held off on compliancing the cars so they didn't appear too old when they were actually sold, cars up to two years old had a recent compliance date. AUS authorities got wind of this little scheme and then made it a requirement to have a build date tag on the car as well as the compliance plate.

A old mate of mine won an Alfa 33 in a Coke competition way back in 1989. That had a build date on the car 18 months before the compliance date. I hate to imagine what what would have happened if the ADR's changed in between the build date and compliance date.....

As for the time between the date of compliance and sale, probably just reflective of market conditions and demand at the time. The two main Renault 12's I've had, one complianced 2/75 sold 3/3/75. The other one complianced 7/75 sold 30/4/76.
    Last edited by Simon; 3rd October 2004 at 01:54 AM.

1000+ Posts

Thanks for that, Simon. I didn't realise mfrs held off on compliancing. Still, I'm not complaining!

Stu

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    Thanks for that, Simon. I didn't realise mfrs held off on compliancing. Still, I'm not complaining! Stu
    End of year they do it all the time (when practical) ...

- XTC -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Default Compliance dates

The rules used to be (and may be still are) that the Compliance Plate can be stamped as the "date the vehicle became available for sale in Australia". Use your imagination as to how this is interpreted by the wholesalers in Australia of imported vehicles, especially for slow-moving vehicles. It can be the date they were released from "customs bond" which may be controlled by the importer to spread his shipment evenly over a number of months, or as the market dictates.
    When buying a new car it is probably worth checking the "built date" for your own benefit, but there is probably not a lot wrong with a vehicle up to 12 or 18 months old as they are given reasonable preservation treatment at the factory for exactly this reason.
    As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, the Compliance Date is the only date used for selling, buying and valuation purposes, so as long as the compliance date is fairly recent you are OK, and I believe one should always ask about this before buying a new vehicle, but if you get a price reduction because of the old compliance date, then no problem!
    I bought a Scenic in January 2004 at the then advertised "special" price, fully expecting to get a 2003 compliance, but I didn't complain when the dealer said it would be a 2004 compliance date (and it is). The built date is mid 2003 so that seems OK. Go figure!
    Cheers.

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Fordman
    I bought a Scenic in January 2004 at the then advertised "special" price, fully expecting to get a 2003 compliance, but I didn't complain when the dealer said it would be a 2004 compliance date (and it is). The built date is mid 2003 so that seems OK. Go figure! Cheers.
    Fordman (unusual name for a french car forum ) bringing the Scenic along to WA French Car Day next Sunday ??

- XTC -

Now this is a .sig

Re WA French Car day - I was actually looking forward to such an event, but next Sunday is an important religious event - Bathurst!!!!
    (May be the "Fordman" name becomes clearer?)
    Cheers.

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Fordman
    Re WA French Car day - I was actually looking forward to such an event, but next Sunday is an important religious event - Bathurst!!!!
    (May be the "Fordman" name becomes clearer?)
    Cheers.
    There is a TV there showing it ... we make sure of that

- XTC -

Now this is a .sig

Thread Information