Seafreight costs for cars
  • Register
  • Help

Default Seafreight costs for cars

Does anyone have any idea how much it would cost to ship a car from the USA to Australia?

There is an old banger for sale in LA that looks as though it would be the perfect parts donor car, but I need to know what the approximate transport costs would be to get an all-up cost.

Anyone got any experience with this sort of thing?

Thanks,

Advertisement
    Michael W

74 D Special

Default costs

off the top of my head...roughly $3,500-$4,500 aus depending who does it
    ask for a refrigerated container...shorter and cheaper...and no..they turn the refrigeration off
    Cheers

Thanks for the info, Rev.

The old banger is suddenly looking less attractive . Still, now I wont die wondering...
    Michael W

74 D Special

Default the old banger

A pleasure....maybe you could get a container big enough to accomadate two cars and split the cost...not sure about R/O R/O (roll on/roll off) car needs to be driveable..might be a cheaper option
    Cheers

A car I have just imported from England was $3400 freight including about $800 for insurance and all of the dock and handling charges. The car was packed in a container. The insurance of course would be much less on a banger.
    Surprisingly, bikes are not a lot cheaper.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

1000+ Posts

Hey Alan,
    Tell us all about your GTA [my favourite ] colour etc. problems getting it here. Was there many left to choose from? Arabs got them all !!
    Any piccies??
    cheers jr
    jr20516v

Now:
    Exige SC [modded], 205 Si. 205 GTi , Megane R26 LY , Megane 225 [modded ]

Previous: Honda EP3 Supercharged , 205 x34 [ including MI16 TURBO, 8v TURBO, CTI, 16V+TB's, 8V+TB's,] Fiat X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2, Clio rs 200

1000+ Posts

My neighbour imported an 82 Transam a couple of years ago. It cost him about $3500... The car cost him US$500 I think!

Derek.

JR,
    The GTA is supposed to arrive at the dock tomorrow. It is red with the velour interior in unmodified condition.(never did like old leather except in Aston Martins) Surprisingly everything works, even though its' electrics are taken from the 25. I will have to put anti-intrusion bars in the doors and child seat belt mounts in the rear to register it. I believe it will be the fourth GTA Turbo in the country.

They are not that common, even in England, with maybe 5 or 7 for sale at the best of times. There were only 344 RHD ones made, and only 62 in '89, with 13 in '90. They are much more common in France and Germany,(3000+?) and command greater prices but you never see them on the road there. I looked at two that were Pearl White, but could not stand the colour, and another red one that was $4000 dearer, but was a better car. With taxes and such that $4000 becomes $5500, which was taking me into an area where I would have to borrow to buy it. My rule has been, if I cannot pay cash I can't afford the car.

If the vehicle is over 15 years old, compliance is easy. The compliance on newer cars is not a hassle if it is a GTR Skyline, where it has all been done before, but much harder on the GTA, where all parts of the car would have to be inspected to check ADR compliance including emissions. There is no cat on it currently and hope this is overlooked in the inspection that I will have to go through.

After a month of registration, and the GTA behaving itself, the 306 will be going.
    I just can't keep 4 cars and 2 motorbikes for personal use. The Alpine will be nowhere near as practical and fuel efficent as the 306, but that is a cross I will have to bear.

Sorry, no pics as I don't have the knowhow to post them, but I am sure you will see it in the near future.
    Last edited by alan moore; 29th September 2004 at 11:26 AM.
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

con
    Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by alan moore
    A car I have just imported from England was $3400 freight including about $800 for insurance and all of the dock and handling charges. The car was packed in a container. The insurance of course would be much less on a banger.
    Surprisingly, bikes are not a lot cheaper.

Alan,

Would you be able to provide details of the carrier, shipping agent, insurance company etc. that you used, please?

thanks

con...

1000+ Posts

Cheers for that info Alan...they look great in red too me thinks.
    Going thru all my old mags the other day [i am looking for another car to buy ]
    and came accross all the mags i've kept on the GTA /A610 including the one where it itemizes all the areas to look for problems etc.
    I've been longing for one of these for years and if i dont do something about it now i never will. Theres also a 93 Integrale in Melb. that keeps getting in my way when i think GTA also Mmmm.
    There used to be a dealer in UK that sold these used...do you know his site address.

cheers jr
    jr20516v

Now:
    Exige SC [modded], 205 Si. 205 GTi , Megane R26 LY , Megane 225 [modded ]

Previous: Honda EP3 Supercharged , 205 x34 [ including MI16 TURBO, 8v TURBO, CTI, 16V+TB's, 8V+TB's,] Fiat X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2, Clio rs 200

The company I have used is Simpsons. www.simpsons-uk.com
    They organised the insurance and the also the handling at this end. They were not the cheapest, but were on the not far away in the dollars stakes, as well as there was no storage fee while I got the Import Approval and such sorted. This was around $100 a week with most agents.

Alpine Renault Restoration often have cars for sale, and a guy called Stephen Dell runs a good website, with cars for sale and a forum.

www.alpinerenracing.com/

www.renaultalpine.co.uk/
    Last edited by alan moore; 30th September 2004 at 01:17 PM.
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Alan, Did you get charged customs duty and GST once your car arrived in Australia? Any other charges besides the $3500?

In the new year duty will drop from 15% to 10%. The duty is paid on the price of the car when purchased. Then GST of 10% is applied to the price of the car plus duty, plus transport, plus insurance. Basically, GST is applied to the absolute total cost of the car for you to land it in the country.

When you go to register it, you are then to pay 2% Stamp duty, (in Queensland anyway) on the value of the car, being the full value that GST was paid on.

Of course before this, an engineer must be sought to approve the various mods necessary to register it. The door anti intrusion bars are the toughest bit. You do get the feeling for a while that all you seem to be doing is reaching for your wallet.
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Thanks Alan. That's a real help.

Thread Information