A very froggy holiday ... in Italy
  • Register
  • Help

Default A very froggy holiday ... in Italy

I've just come back from an extended holiday to the US (2 days), UK (8 days), and Italy (10 days). Had a great time, but that's not what you folks are interested in.

Found huge numbers of French cars over there, including some nice old ones.

We drove around the UK in a 1.4 litre 206 Estate, which is like the current 206 but has a wagon bit at the back. I haven't been in a 206 before, but man, the clutch and pedals are for pygmy Masai tribesmen, not for normal people. I've never felt so weird feeling the steering wheel move whilst I had my foot on the clutch. That's just not normal.

However, despite the awkward driving position, the car was great. We managed 5.9 l/100 km for mostly tootling around Bolton and then zooming down to Kent and on to Stansted.

When we were in Italy, it felt like the C3 is the Falcon of Europe. There are just so many of them. And in typical Italian fashion, only the very newest had no dents or scratches. Luckily, we didn't drive in Italy or I wouldn't be writing this now. They're insane over there - road rules seem to be completely optional.

Advertisement

Andrew
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A very froggy holiday ... in Italy-img_5467-small-.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by vanderaj
    Luckily, we didn't drive in Italy or I wouldn't be writing this now.
    Hey, I survived - and I drove an Opel Vectra, a mammoth sized car by Italian standards

Quote Originally Posted by vanderaj
    They're insane over there - road rules seem to be completely optional.
    Here's a joke an Italian friend told me.

What are traffic lights called in Italy?

In Milan, they're law.
    In Rome, they're a suggestion.
    In Naples, they're just Christmas decorations

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

That's so true about naples we got tooted for stopping at traffic lights, for stopping when a car in front us did, and for stopping at pedestrian crossings. They really ride their horns there!

But i liked the way there were so many small cars in italy! seemed much more sensible. And the way they park is amazing. If there is 10cm between cars in total they think there is HEAPS of room!

Benny
    206 1.6 XT Auto China Blue in the house.

Hopefully soon to be C3...or C2.....owner.....maybe.....one day....I hope!!!!!

Icon10

Benny this is true. I liked Italy a lot but the roads were very scary. I saw a car go past me on the road and it was a Fiat 126 (aka Niki) with 4 huge italian guys in it and it was racing along past us in our Renault scenic.
    I liked the place though very nice and so much history. You are right though the C3 is the family sized car there too.

Tadpole

Italy is a great place, esp for driving. Got lost in Turin a couple of years ago, missed the turning for the Frejus Tunnel to France, and had great fun racing the Fiats around the one-way streets and away from traffic lights. The countryside is beautiful and great fun too.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymarsh
    That's so true about naples we got tooted for stopping at traffic lights, for stopping when a car in front us did, and for stopping at pedestrian crossings. They really ride their horns there!

But i liked the way there were so many small cars in italy! seemed much more sensible. And the way they park is amazing. If there is 10cm between cars in total they think there is HEAPS of room!

Benny
    I was told by our hotel manager that red lights are like give way signs. You look both ways, and if there's no one coming, you go. Naples was a polluted nightmare with far too many muggers/fake Rolex spruikers wherever tourists are. I was happy to get out of there. Pompeii and Sorrento - much better!

Andrew

Thread Information