Mechanical Newbie
  • Register
  • Help

Default Mechanical Newbie

hi guys i donno anything about mechanical side of cars, however i really really want to learn and the only way that i can think of is to get an apprenticeship or somesort in a garage. yet considering that i know nothing do any one of you think that this gonna work? if not how can i start????

Advertisement

Why don't you enroll in your local TAFE. I think they have basic maint courses for people to get that basic grounding. There is always the trial by error method. Have fun!
    Regards,

Jinny.

'15 DS 5
    '74 GS Club Convertisseur

Previous
    R12
    CX 2200
    Flouride
    R20
    R19
    '74 GS Club
    '91 XM
    '94 XM V6

Learn the basics before you do anything.
    I always had ambitions of becoming a mechanic as I was hanging around cars from when I was about 12 but the opportunity never came up, so I grabbed an apprenticeship as a fridge and washing machine mechanic which were two things I knew nothing about. Came out of my time by which time I was deeper into the car scene and ended up managing a large car dealership where I got the best of both worlds; driving new cars, rare cars and getting involved in what was happening in the workshop as well as sponsorship for some competition (it helps when you make the decisions on where the money's spent)
    Just remember though that for a career, you don't see too many old mechanics. If you want to know why, stick around and watch me getting under a car or an even funnier sight; me getting out from under one!!
    Start your education here:

http://www.autoshop-online.com/auto101.html

so you at least know the theories of how things work or you'll drive some tradesman nuts asking basic questions and also spend some time in a hardware store and learn the names of all the tools; nothing makes 'em spew more than asking an apprentice for a pair of pliers and he comes back with two hammers in his hand!!

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

thanks guys for your advice, it means alot to me... i was thinking things the easy way.. to start off Alan i will read the website that you have provide then Jester i might think of taking a TAFE course if i have the time..... i will see what i will get into. you see i'm not thinking of taking it as a career but just like a hobby...

It might also be a good idea to join one of the French Car clubs down there and go along to a few meets with the intention of meeting a few DIY types who if they're like me, would like the extra pair of hands at times when doing some of the jobs on cars.
    It will also give you a good insight into the more innovative ideas that are found predominantly on French cars.
    As a rule of thumb; Pug, fairly straightforward with their engineering being of a high standard, Renault, a little off beat with the ideas and the ability to build some extremely solid vehicles and Citroen, the masters of innovation and way out ideas that are usually so far ahead of their time that it takes the rest of the motoring world a half Century to catch on (think active suspension, advanced hydraulics, turning headlights etc) and by far the most misunderstood of any car on the market for the past 70 years.
    At first, these cars frighten most young guys, but with youth on your side, the ability to comprehend way above us old farts, I find any young person who approaches these cars with an open mind are fascinated with them and often find themselves pandering to the idea of a career choice involving them. That's speaking from personal experience in my own family.

Alan S

Quote Originally Posted by jester_fu
    As much as i don't want to offend any DIY'ers here, as there are some talented people using this forum regardless of thier profession...!
    ............and if one of the "pros" shows you how to do a routine service on an ECU for $500, be sure to let the rest of us know!!

Alan S

(That's an "In" joke between a few of us.

Thread Information