60mph
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 60mph

zha
    Tadpole

Icon5 60mph

What distance have you got to slow down when you see a 60mph sign before you can be booked?

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

I've never seen a 60mph sign in Australia come to mention it, but you have zero distance *from* the sign. You have to be doing 60km/h AT the sign.

This knowledge comes from experience: booked for 76 in a 60 zone, by a few metres... Ryde Rd at Gordon West Public School when it used to be a 60 zone outside the school and the rest of the road was 70km/h.

Derek.

zha
    Tadpole

Default 60mph

I really mean 60kph in NSW. I think you are allow a certain distance to slow down when you see a speed sign before you can be booked. anyone know the rules?

1000+ Posts

The speed limit applies from the location where the sign is installed on the side of the road until the next sign or change of limit that you see.

Rules are located at: http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregul...wnloads/p3.pdf

Derek.

I've been told that there is 'zero tolerance' with the speed cameras.....

Administrator

In Victoria, you cannot be booked by mobile radar within 100 m of a change of speed zone....ie 100kph down to 80kph...

I am not sure about cameras...

UFO

But of course, you should be doing 60 km/h (thanks Deka) as it is impossible to do any type of kph. (Hadn't done that one for a while, it needed an rerun)

And yes, if it says 60 you should be doing 60 km/h when you reach the sign. A safe bet is to always ensure the lower speed applies at the sign. eg, if you are going from a 60 km/h zone to a 100 km/h zone, the 60 km/h limit would still apply when you get to the sign. (Yes I know there are all sorts of esoteric arguments we could harp on about for years, but the officer with the blue uniform, TIN book and car with flashing red and blue lights usually wins the argument)

My
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by UFO
    But of course, you should be doing 60 km/h (thanks Deka) as it is impossible to do any type of kph. (Hadn't done that one for a while, it needed an rerun)

And yes, if it says 60 you should be doing 60 km/h when you reach the sign. A safe bet is to always ensure the lower speed applies at the sign. eg, if you are going from a 60 km/h zone to a 100 km/h zone, the 60 km/h limit would still apply when you get to the sign. (Yes I know there are all sorts of esoteric arguments we could harp on about for years, but the officer with the blue uniform, TIN book and car with flashing red and blue lights usually wins the argument)

My
    Yes you should be doing the posted speed limit by the sign, however the question was:

What distance have you got to slow down when you see a 60mph sign before you can be booked?

And the answer is 100 meters...(with a radar atleast)

BTW - It is very possible to do 60 kph...look it up in any dictionary....

k.p.h. abbreviation kilometres per hour

My
    Last edited by mistareno; 20th September 2004 at 11:57 AM.

zha
    Tadpole

I am sure there was a recent case thrown out of court in NSW where a police with a hand held radar booked a motorist within a certain distance after a change of speed sign.

I do not know the permited distance. But the judge says that it is the law that a motorist is permited that distance to slow down before he/she can be booked. Anyone have any ideas on the distance or heard of this case?

Thread Information