Remington Steel
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Remington Steel

Default Remington Steel

No, not the TV show, Pearce Brosnan or anything like that...

Tyres... black (supposedly) round things that keep the wheels from sparking it up on the bitumen.

This is a brand sold through K-Mart... priced below the major brands. We bought a set once for my wife's car and were a bit unhappy when they didn't really last the distance.

We found out they really contained steel the first time when one was about 65% worn. Then another a little later, and in the end, before they were down to legal limits, all four had delaminated on us. Too late to claim any warranty (or to hassle about warranty, anway...).

Last year I bought the TI from boodek that had one on it and one on the spare, didn't think anything of it... but a couple of weeks ago I started getting vibes and hearing tic-tic-tic noises as I drove along. Checked... there was steel threads hanging out the sides of the tread of a rear tyre... a Remington Steel tyre!

I looked at the spare and found it was flat (yes, it was a car that I'd let my stepsons use...), so I rang Shobbzy (I was in his area) he loaned me a tyre he had under the house... he'd got some extra bits when he'd bought a stack of stuff a few months back and this wheel and tyre was among it.

Guess what?

It was a Remington Steel!

We laughed about it as I put it on, then I went off and did the balance of the work I had to do that day, driving about 80kms before I got home.

As I came off the freeway 3kms from home, I felt the vibes in the back... as I turned onto the street into our subdivision I heard tic-tic-ticking... as I rounded the curve 400m from home it all went... well it's the lower one in the pic... you guess what happened. At least it got me home!

I really didn't mind driving the last 400m on a flat rear tyre, I knew I had several spares in the backyard.

The question is, do you think I should recommend Remington Steels?

Advertisement

Interesting.. i found totally the opposite.

Around 5 years ago i travelled around Oz for a year in a beated up Ford Cortina wagon. I bought 4 new Remingtons before leaving (they were cheap and i was poor) and made the entire trip with no problems whatsoever
    This was traversing creek beds, 1000's of kays on dirt roads and off road..

Wouldn't call them a performance tire by any stretch, but they're cheap and i had no punctures in 10,000k's which i thought was impressive from a budget tyre..

Must of got some good uns..
    C4 Hdi - Pierre, Suby BRZ - Fuji and Wren the FRB Clio IV

Must have!

Having had the first set since new, I knew they weren't rotated or anything silly, nor mistreated, under inflated, overloaded or any of that. Just driven on!

They were bought about 1994...

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    Must have!

Having had the first set since new, I knew they weren't rotated or anything silly, nor mistreated, under inflated, overloaded or any of that. Just driven on!

They were bought about 1994...
    Quality!!!!

Love the pics, Glad to hear that the wheel got you home............just

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Before reading this thread,I had never heard of remington tyres.
    Waiting at the lights today, an 18 wheeler ground to a hault next to me.
    Just one of his rear tyres had steel wires sticking out from the mangled tread and you guessed it.... a Remington. All the other treads were in fine shape being a mixture of well known brands.
    If I rode a motor bike I would have some major issues with these tyres.
    Jo

Ray,

funny you should write about such an experience.
    My dad bought a 73 504 and it had a seemingly good set of Remingtons on it.
    They lasted about a year before all 4 went square and bulgy in the sidewalls then started throwing steel!, so to speak.
    I think they were made in NZ. We got some Continentals to replace them as I recall. No more shuddery steering or rims with 400grams of lead to try and straighten out the dodgy tyres.

IB.

We had a Remington on the van once. It blew out as well.
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

Quote Originally Posted by ipb205
    Ray,

funny you should write about such an experience.
    My dad bought a 73 504 and it had a seemingly good set of Remingtons on it.
    They lasted about a year before all 4 went square and bulgy in the sidewalls then started throwing steel!, so to speak.
    I think they were made in NZ. We got some Continentals to replace them as I recall. No more shuddery steering or rims with 400grams of lead to try and straighten out the dodgy tyres.

IB.
    Only 400g I have a wheel with over 700 on it, suppose it is a 35 x 13.5 x 15 competition off road tyre on beadlocked rims though
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Thread Information