purchasing a vehicle from another state. stupid question part 1.
  • Register
  • Help

Icon4 purchasing a vehicle from another state. stupid question part 1.

oh mighty and great peugeot gods,

hope i make sense.

say i wantto purchase a vehicle from another state and want it to be registered here locally, what things would i need to do?

what would make registration of the vehicle in question difficult?

would registration of the said vehicle be easier if it has been purchased with current registration papers (of the former state) and a RWC?

any advice welcome,

thank you,

Advertisement

reggie
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

daily ding magnet: '98 1.8 16v citroen xsara

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

It depends a bit from state to state. Most states don't accept RWC from other states but may organise a credit for remaining rego. I looked at shipping a car from Perth to Melb. The easiest way was to buy the car with the remaining Perth rego, this enables you to drive the car temporarily. Get a RWC and then get the Rego changed to your state. The hardest part for me was buying a car unseen and making sure you actually get the car when you hand over the money. It helps if you have someone at the other end to do the deal and also to check the car out. I also had to ring the Perth roads people to check on the status of the rego and also to check if it was under finance as Vicroads couldn't tell me this. They could however check to see if it was stolen. As I said it may vary from state to state. Simplest way is to ring RTA in both states and tell them what you want to do and follow their advice.

Hope this helps

Jarrod

hi jarrod,

thanks for your reply.

its just that it seems (for me at least) all so daunting and time consuming.

so i guess its just a matter of obtaing a RWC in the state that you want it to be registered, yes? so obviously it doesnt matter if the interstate vehicle is currently registered, right?

far out im just a way goodlooking dumb shit .

your advice on contacting the RTA is one that i will follow up.

any more advice is welcome.

nightmare stories are welcome, too!

cheers!

p.s. why is it that all the cars i want to buy are interstate? faaarlc!
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

I take it you are wanting to get a car from NSW into VIC?

I have done this before. Essentially you just need to get a receipt off the person you buy the car from, and make sure you have the certificate of registration.

You then grab the car and drive it back to Melbourne, or if you are trucking it back, you might as well get the seller to unregister it and ask him to lower the price accordingly.

Then you need to get a Vic RWC, and go to Vic roads, where they will re-register the car and sight it. If you still have NSW rego, you get a credit. (you cannot keep NSW rego because you cannot register it with a Vic address).

As far as buying it unsighted - don't. I You can get a cheap flight, which is worth it for peace of mind. Truck will cost $500ish, or you can enjoy the drive - only takes 9 hours

hi pugs16,

say the said interstate vehicle is purchased and driven down here to victoria... ummm, and a roadworthy certificate is obtained... i bring it to vicroads for the vehicle to be "sighted".... what does "sighting" the vehicle entail? do they just "look" at the car or do they go through the car with a fine tooth comb?

obtaining a RWC for any vehicle is obviously not too hard, ey?

cheers,

reggie
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

It's just a matter of making sure the Vin No. and Engine No. check out. This is just a formality (unless you are doing a dodgy). They themselves are not making sure the car is in RWC...

Icon12

Couple of points from recent experience (well November last year)

Purchased my BX16v from Sydney, the car had had it's annual 'rego slip'?? paid my money and drove it back to Queensland on NSW plates - our state regs required it then go through a Queensland RWC and be presented to Main Roads Dept (within 14 days) to inspect and verify engine and chassis numbers, all cool, I then pay Queensland rego and pick up Qld plates and hand back NSW plates.

Any value remaining on it's NSW rego is forwarded to previous owner, in my case this would not of been a huge amount but it is a trap for the unwary - deduct the value of remaining rego from purchase price

All pretty straight forward, I had the car checked over by Continental Motors in Sydney before paying for my airfare

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Reginald. Get engine chassis and reg numbers beforehand and ring vicroads or the others states agency and get a certificate that there is no finance on the car (which would transfer to you), and that it aint stolen. Make sure the registered owner is the one you are giving a cheque to.
    Then like they said, get an RWC, take it to Vicroads, pay the rego and 4% stamp duty.
    Then get someone to screw the plates on for you.
    If it is a modified vehicle or has had an engine change this may complicate things. Especially if it's a 205 Mi16. You will need an engineers certificate, and this may not be easy to get.
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

Thread Information