Another reason to stay at home
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Another reason to stay at home

Driving up the bush yesterday, I noticed that VicRoads have put mobile signs for about 40 kms along our nation's number one road, the Prince's Highway -- more correctly, FREEWAY -- from around Drouin to Moe (where I turned off). The signs announce that from this Thursday, the speed limit will be reduced from 110 to 100.

I am fair dinkum, teeth-grindingly, kick-the-damn-cat spewin , in a way that I haven't been for ages.

I don't understand this move at all. It's a divided highway all the way, with two lanes on each side of a generous median strip and an emergency stopping lane with plenty of room for disabled vehicles to pull over without obstructing traffic. It was one of the first roads in the state rated at 110 km/h, and although it could be argued that traffic flows have increased greatly since then -- which I frankly doubt -- cars are generally safer now than they were even 10 years ago.

Leaving aside the very obvious, sticks-out-like-dogs-balls grab for speed camera revenue that this constitutes, there is absolutely no valid reason for it. I drive this road regularly, and its condition yesterday was only marginally worse than when I did the same trip a few weeks ago. It simply needs the level of maintenance applied to the odd patch of random, rain-related potholes that a national highway should have been receiving all along. (GIVE US BACK SOME PETROL TAX, YOU THIEVING BASTARDS!!!!)

In trying to navigate my way through VicRoads' thorny website, this is all I'm able to find, for some work on the Prince's Highway near Nilma:

"Route improvements

Advertisement

A combination of works at a number of sites along a length of road. May also include minor modifications to linemarking and signs to improve traffic flow and safety."
    ... which hardly accounts for what's been proposed. I'm concerned that it may turn out to be a "temporary" measure like the recently-reversed decision to only allow one-way traffic either side of the Jolimont railway line, a "temporary" measure that was introduced for the 1956 Olympic Games!!

There is no sign of any planned roadwork posted on the VicRoads website. Not surprisingly, perhaps, other links from that site for The Blackspot Program and for details of VicRoads policies and strategies go nowhere, and there's no sign of any other work that's scheduled for this lengthy stretch of road.

I think that with no valid reason for this change being offered, many people are simply going to ignore it, with the (other) inevitable consequence, namely an increase in carnage due to greater average differentials in car speeds.

Many drivers (me for one) will see less reason not to use alternate (and less safe, but also 100km/h) routes, like the Yarra Valley Highway, and so will hasten the deterioration of these secondary roads, and also boost their toll in casualties and damage. I feel sorry for the inevitable victims, and hope that I'm on a jury for damages when they sue ...

In the absence of a satisfactory explanation for this apparent decline in infrastructure, "Somebody" needs to be chastised. With a size 10 hobnail boot up to the ankle. And that's putting it very mildly. Heads need to roll ...
    MY15 208GTi

previously:
    MY10 Sportium HDi6 and 1.6L auto
    MY99 206GTi
    MY96 306XSi auto
    MY02 Clio 1.4L auto

1ére grenouille:
    MY5? Simca Aronde 90A

QUICK! MORE BREAD, MORE CIRCUSES!!

1000+ Posts

Mr Bern

Can't agree more with you, unfortunately we have a government in this state run by a leftist group of anti - motorists whose only concession to us is the recognition that we can be MILKED for extra taxation and BILKED in the name of Road Safety (God Help Us) Road Safety!! nothing is further from the truth.

Steve Bracks and his mates will do NOTHING to correct this until motorists stand united against them and they finally realise that they might lose an election over these issues I thought the penny would have dropped by now and he would understand that the motoring public have had enough.

Consider the weird decision to introduce secret 50 kph limits on any road that doesn't have a higher speed posting and the decision to allow municipalities to impose weird 40kph limits on main roads even in one horse towns, its a nightmare to keep up with the changes. Most of this is about cost shifting and hidden taxation as the burden of signposting speed limits shifts to councils.

Consider also the weird decision to drop main roads to 40kph at certain times on school days and the arbitary decision that where a road WAS NOT signed for 60kph (ie secret 50kph limit road) that road would automatically become a permanent 40 kph limited road _ Yes you CAN be booked for driving past the side of the black stump school at 41 kph at midnight on a weekend and not a soul in sight (camera cars excepted!!)

The only sign that gives motorists half a chance is the expensive neon ones that signal speed changes - but this lousy anti motorist G/ment didn't allocate any thought to providing these until the recent public outcry put pressure on labour councils to lobby for them lest they lose their seats.!!

Consider that right from the start of their spurious "Road Safety speed enforcement camera zero speeding tolerance campaign" Steve Bracks was asked to provide "ACCURATE" overhead speed check indicators so the motoring public could check the accuracy of our speedometers, and HE refused point blank!! to provide them. (I have a copy of the letter)

And you will notice that the two overhead Highway speed check indicators provided by another Government have been labelled ADVISORY ONLY as they have been found to be notoriously innacurate (Just like the Speed Cameras!!) What chance have we got!!

If the Bracks Government HAD provided a speed indicator on every static speed camera, not only would you have had a chance to check your speedometer, but the faulty cameras would have been exposed earlier. Yeah but the cynical would say, it would also have given the motorist a fighting chance to dispute readings and invite court cases AND THAT would effect REVENUE!!

Where did that principle of law go, that states a person is entitled to be told at the time of arrest or interception of the infringement of the law alleged against them!! Sorry, rights go out the window where revenue is the bottom line, rather than incidental to the cost of law enforcement.

Sure I am passionate about this issue! and why not, Road Safety is as much about honesty, caring, and consideration for others and, Road Safety campaigns MUST reflect these principles and be targetted carefully at those who wilfully transgress safety on our roads.

Ill targetted campaigns or those based upon false or unfair revenue considerations rather than road safety per se, are seen for what they are, and rather than re-educate drivers they cause a backlash in that many drivers are so pissed off, that when they get the opportunity to speed or know that there are no cameras about they do so and with fatal consequences.

So if you don't like the speed changes on your highway, ask the questions, write to Vic Roads and the Goverment maybe they might, just might, realise that motorists are a united set of voters that have rights rather than a resource to be Milked and Bilked!!

Ken

You got my vote.

Funily enough i drove up this road yesterday & saw the very signs you talk about. I have no idea WHY they would do such a thing, just doesnt make sense !

Quote Originally Posted by purrr-geot
    You got my vote.

Funily enough i drove up this road yesterday & saw the very signs you talk about. I have no idea WHY they would do such a thing, just doesnt make sense !
    Makes perfect sense if you get carted around town in the back seat of a taxpayer funded Holden Statesman and need revenue because you can't run an economy because the unions have you by the danglies.
    1987 Peugeot 205 GTI S1
    1996 Jaguar XJR X300
    1991 Honda VT250 Spada
    1992 Peugeot 405 S (R.I.P. 31/07/2005)

Guys I have to say this thread is becoming precariously close to being a political hot potato, which isn’t exactly allowed by this board. Just a reminder before the moderators get here and close this thread

You got my vote.

I too saw the signs and too things sprang into my mind.

The were a few areas where the poor condition of the road could probably justify a lower speed limit. My answer to this is FIX THE ROAD. Otherwise in another two years time they will have to reduce it to 80.

The other thing is that crossed my mind is the reason they give for this (if they give one) will be that it is for our safety. If the road is so unsafe why wait two weeks before lowering the limit?

BTW has anyone driven up to Warburton lately. There must be 30 speed limit changes in 15km. It makes you fatigued just trying to stay within the limit. And we all know what fatigue causes. Maybe I'll try a powernap next time!!

Jarrod

1000+ Posts

You got my vote.

Hey Asanka, I saw one filthy 306 at uni today, looked like yours - is there a link here.....?

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by orestes
    Guys I have to say this thread is becoming precariously close to being a political hot potato, which isn’t exactly allowed by this board. Just a reminder before the moderators get here and close this thread
    Nah .. don't over react ... any debate about roads is political .. cause they are the ones that fund it, via involuntary and voluntary* taxes.

* Speed fines are voluntary tax, you don't pay if you don't speed (and get caught) .. not arguing if the limits are "correct" or not <- that's a whole different issue.

- XTC -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Quote Originally Posted by orestes
    Maybe so, orestes ... I did say I'd be more than happy to leave aside the "grab for speed camera revenue", and I don't want to get into school area speed limits or default non-main-road 50 zones (which to tell the truth I don't have a lot of trouble with) (though it's abundantly clear that a lot of drivers do).

My issue is rather with the implied message that our country cousins don't matter enough to rate a decent road network any longer, and that speed limits can be manipulated on somebody's whim for no apparent reason. The incidental effect that this will have on other roads is symptomatic of a disinclination to maintain public infrastructure that we've already paid for, and the inevitable result is that some clod comes to the conclusion that it can only work if we sell it all to private enterprise and they run our roads as tollways.

I don't blame one political party more than any other -- federal libs take the tax and refuse to return it, state labor condones and possibly directs this sort of neglect. All say they have the best interests of "ruralnregional" people uppermost in their agendas, especially around election times, but it just looks to me like another case of rolling back the work of generations of people, most of whom are already gone, who thought they'd bequeathed us something better than what they started out with. I'd like to be able to say the same thing.

Jarrod echoes my thought at the time, too -- rather than restricting the speed limit, if it needs fixing, just FIX IT!!
    MY15 208GTi

previously:
    MY99 206GTi
    MY96 306XSi auto
    MY02 Clio 1.4L auto

1ére grenouille:
    MY5? Simca Aronde 90A

Quote Originally Posted by Sergetov
    Hey Asanka, I saw one filthy 306 at uni today, looked like yours - is there a link here.....?
    HAHAHAH yeah that was me, where did you see it? In the multilevel?? Or doing handbrake turns in the gravel part of the carpark

XTC

HAHAHAH yeah that was me, where did you see it? In the multilevel?? Or doing handbrake turns in the gravel part of the carpark
    Last time I saw your car purrr-geot it was stuck firmer in the mud then a WPS car at Sandown

- XTC -

Now this is a .sig

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    Last time I saw your car purrr-geot it was stuck firmer in the mud then a WPS car at Sandown

- XTC -
    HAHA, i remeber that, yeah nearly happened yesterday too, however looking at pics of my car now you could have thought i went swimming in mud, now that i think of it i kind of did !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another reason to stay at home-picture-70965.jpg  

1000+ Posts

Saw it in the multilevel. I was parked oppersite you. I was just getting into my car and it just hit me "Goddamn that car is filthy!".

Good to know you've been having fun with the gravel carpark, seems it good for something!

HAHA, i remeber that, yeah nearly happened yesterday too, however looking at pics of my car now you could have thought i went swimming in mud, now that i think of it i kind of did !
    Dang, that's respectable! This is as filthy as I managed to get by about 5pm, before I got to my second serious dirt road ... parked at the bottom of the Tarra Valley Road hill next to the Tarra River in south Gippy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another reason to stay at home-tarrapk.jpg  
    MY15 208GTi

previously:
    MY99 206GTi
    MY96 306XSi auto
    MY02 Clio 1.4L auto

1ére grenouille:
    MY5? Simca Aronde 90A

1000+ Posts

All

As far as politics come into it,it doesn't!!! This issue is one that extends to all political parties who treat motorists as grist for the Mill, it just happens that this particular group have the power to do something to rectify and change their agenda so that motorists are treated fairly and with respect rather than as milking cows supplying a golden fund of state revenue.

Pressure on this lot, may also cause the next lot (of whatever persuasion) to treat us motorists fairly.

Call me cycnical, but I don't have a lot of faith in (any) politicians to act fairly UNLESS it is, to save their own skins come election time.. In fact I have always tried to work with them (politicians) and achieve results in the interests of road safety but sometimes they get blinded by greed and power and that is where motorists have to remind/pressure them to redirect their muddled thinking.

Ken

It'll never happen!

Way too easy to just say "we have to do it... speed kills, you know!"

1000+ Posts

Quote from Ray -speed kills, you know!" end quote

Yeah and old age!

Well they have statistics to prove it!!

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego
    Mr Bern

Can't agree more with you, unfortunately we have a government in this state run by a leftist group of anti - motorists whose only concession to us is the recognition that we can be MILKED for extra taxation and BILKED in the name of Road Safety (God Help Us) Road Safety!! nothing is further from the truth.

Steve Bracks and his mates will do NOTHING to correct this until motorists stand united against them and they finally realise that they might lose an election over these issues I thought the penny would have dropped by now and he would understand that the motoring public have had enough.

Consider the weird decision to introduce secret 50 kph limits on any road that doesn't have a higher speed posting and the decision to allow municipalities to impose weird 40kph limits on main roads even in one horse towns, its a nightmare to keep up with the changes. Most of this is about cost shifting and hidden taxation as the burden of signposting speed limits shifts to councils.

Consider also the weird decision to drop main roads to 40kph at certain times on school days and the arbitary decision that where a road WAS NOT signed for 60kph (ie secret 50kph limit road) that road would automatically become a permanent 40 kph limited road _ Yes you CAN be booked for driving past the side of the black stump school at 41 kph at midnight on a weekend and not a soul in sight (camera cars excepted!!)

The only sign that gives motorists half a chance is the expensive neon ones that signal speed changes - but this lousy anti motorist G/ment didn't allocate any thought to providing these until the recent public outcry put pressure on labour councils to lobby for them lest they lose their seats.!!

Consider that right from the start of their spurious "Road Safety speed enforcement camera zero speeding tolerance campaign" Steve Bracks was asked to provide "ACCURATE" overhead speed check indicators so the motoring public could check the accuracy of our speedometers, and HE refused point blank!! to provide them. (I have a copy of the letter)

And you will notice that the two overhead Highway speed check indicators provided by another Government have been labelled ADVISORY ONLY as they have been found to be notoriously innacurate (Just like the Speed Cameras!!) What chance have we got!!

If the Bracks Government HAD provided a speed indicator on every static speed camera, not only would you have had a chance to check your speedometer, but the faulty cameras would have been exposed earlier. Yeah but the cynical would say, it would also have given the motorist a fighting chance to dispute readings and invite court cases AND THAT would effect REVENUE!!

Where did that principle of law go, that states a person is entitled to be told at the time of arrest or interception of the infringement of the law alleged against them!! Sorry, rights go out the window where revenue is the bottom line, rather than incidental to the cost of law enforcement.

Sure I am passionate about this issue! and why not, Road Safety is as much about honesty, caring, and consideration for others and, Road Safety campaigns MUST reflect these principles and be targetted carefully at those who wilfully transgress safety on our roads.

Ill targetted campaigns or those based upon false or unfair revenue considerations rather than road safety per se, are seen for what they are, and rather than re-educate drivers they cause a backlash in that many drivers are so pissed off, that when they get the opportunity to speed or know that there are no cameras about they do so and with fatal consequences.

So if you don't like the speed changes on your highway, ask the questions, write to Vic Roads and the Goverment maybe they might, just might, realise that motorists are a united set of voters that have rights rather than a resource to be Milked and Bilked!!

Ken
    Come on Comrade Ken,

Was it not the Big Jeff who set the speed cameras to fine people at 61kmh in a 60 zone( been there done that). I'm all for putting the boot in where it's due but politicians being absolute bastards is not a question of right or left. Polticians are bastards what more can one say???

For my own part now being a driver of a Russian Range Rover I have to confess that my politics and my car match up pretty well. I look forward to owning a registered Renault again in the knowledge that both sides of poltics in France think that 140 kmh in the dry and 110 in the wet is a a fair thing for the freeway.

Besides which I would think that both our posts have contravened the sacred non political aussiefrogs code of conduct.....there will be black citroens parked outside our houises before we know it.

Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

I also noticed a weird thing today driving through Queanbeyan. We have 50kmh urban limits in NSW pretty much unless otherwise marked. Anyway I was heading down Coom Road this morning and noticed that my side of the road was marked 50 kmh and the other 60 kmh. The bizzare thing being that in terms of side roads etc they are pretty much the same......woo hoo as I'm prone to say.

I'm fairly sure that that one doesn't go the the door odf the Grand Ayatollah Bob Carr but it is quite strange.....and a potentially nice little earner for some.

1000+ Posts

Boggy quote"Come on Comrade Ken," unquote

Geez boggy is my red neck glowing? Never been called that before

"Big Jeff" (we got rid of him!) maintained the 10 per cent leeway (Tolerance) of speed cameras, sadly its the present lot that scrapped it,

Yeah speed kills....so we will fine all the mum and dad drivers who stray slightly over speed limits and the best thing is that these minor and largely unwitting offenders will religiously pay their on the spot fines and that will introduce "cultural change" no one will speed hence no one will be killed"

and for good measure get rid of uniform police on the roads we don't need their "discretion" (The cameras have none!!) (saves on salaries too). No traffic police then no requirement to inform the sucker (sorry motorist) at the time of the alleged offence exactly what it was they had done (well that may have given them the right to record their objection and that would only complicate matters!!) Fairness, Justice, Nah just gets in the way of our system of "Saving Lives"

When an unfair system targets the unwitting offender rather than the wilful offender, and is also exposed as an excuse for raising the maximum revenue from a normally law abiding group, in my view it is seriously flawed and needs to be changed and properly targetted to reduce serious injury collisions on our roads.

Unfortunately until sufficient motorists get angry enough to demand a change of strategy, then unfair treatment of motorists will continue.

Once (upon a time) it was a pleasure to drive on our road system and be treated with courtesy by other drivers, to maintain safe distances and NOT be constantly taking eyes from the road to check speedos lest we stray a percent over the speed limit and to stop and help motorists who broke down
    beside the roadway. Yeah it seems like a dream now.......

Ken (my last post on this one. )

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego
    Boggy quote"Come on Comrade Ken," unquote

Geez boggy is my red neck glowing? Never been called that before

"Big Jeff" (we got rid of him!) maintained the 10 per cent leeway (Tolerance) of speed cameras, sadly its the present lot that scrapped it,
    )

I hate to say this but a mate of mine copped it for 61 in a 60 zone (in a NSW statefleet car which might explain why) in the main at Swan Hill when Jeff was King...so I dunno about the 10 percent...maybe somewhere in the bowels of Collins St there was some mignon assigned to check the state of origin of the number plates..wouldn't be surprised if that was the case at all. We do it here in the ACT all the time

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by BogMaster
    I hate to say this but a mate of mine copped it for 61 in a 60 zone (in a NSW statefleet car which might explain why) in the main at Swan Hill when Jeff was King...
    Love to see that fine ..... one for framing.

- XTC -

Now this is a .sig

Administrator

I hate to say this but a mate of mine copped it for 61 in a 60 zone
    I hate to say it bote your mate is telling porky pies...

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno
    I hate to say it bote your mate is telling porky pies...
    Nah Richard I believe her. It was a long time ago now (95/96) but thinking back on it , it may have been a clearly illegal 63 in a 60 zone. It was no more than that max, the infringement was handed around and people in the office found it hard to believe. This was a bit of a worry to all of us as we frequently took unauthorised short cuts through Victoria to get to places out on the river, (NSW statefleet regs require that you need official permission to take the government car interstate... bit of a bummer if you are working on the border)

Administrator

Nah Richard I believe her. It was a long time ago now (95/96) but thinking back on it , it may have been a clearly illegal 63 in a 60 zone. It was no more than that max, the infringement was handed around and people in the office found it hard to believe. This was a bit of a worry to all of us as we frequently took unauthorised short cuts through Victoria to get to places out on the river, (NSW statefleet regs require that you need official permission to take the government car interstate... bit of a bummer if you are working on the border)

If it was in the days of Jeff, it would have to have been ATLEAST 10% over the limit (66 km/h) if done by a camera.. or generally atleast 10kph over if done by hand held radar and intercepted...

I would assume it is the latter, and either A, the officer simply wrote out 61 instead of 81 (or other similar scenarios) or B, the officers hand writing was in the unreadable scribble category...like mine

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information