TfNG - The New Guy
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default TfNG - The New Guy

Mornin all,

Stumbled onto the forums when doing research into short list of cars I am looking at.

Current owner of a 2001 HOnda HRV4WD, and looking to refresh to a new model and keep value of car whilst new. I went to virtually all dealers on the weekend, not ruling out any to start, and was surprised by what I found.

I did have high expectations of Toyota, being a previous corrolla owner(jokes aside, it was a ripper of a little car) .. But the current generation seemed to be plastic and unremarkable. A lot of the other crop (within my $32,000 and under price range) were also not special.

I was impressed by the Renault Scenic .. To be honest .. on external looks.. It looked crap! .-BUT- it was a virtual tardis inside, and appeared comfortable to drive.

The 307 was also quite impressive, somewhat behind the Renault Scenic in terms of interior layout, but I imagine it retains value better.

I will take both out for a test drive next week once back from Interstate, but I would be interested to hear any feedback from the community here, because you all have real first hand knowledge and experience.

Advertisement

Cheers!

Lapsiek

Welcome to Aussiefrogs! The 307 is an exceptionally good value car, especially at the price point you have mentioned. Toyota is very cheap and nasty in comparison.

I'd also take some time to have a look at the new Golf and Megane.

Tadpole

Looked at the Megane, but the Scenic seemed to outshine it.. The clever internal layout was a compelling factor..

Havnt seen GOlf, but I thought they would have been out of proce bracket

1000+ Posts

Lapsiek,

Wait till you see the new Scenic II due here soon. The Scenic (as you see in Australia now) is a great car to drive, and so practical.
    Pics and stuff: http://irishcar.com/renscen2fvbb.htm

Derek

I'd be tempted to look at the new Golfs as well. They were only released in Aus a couple of weeks ago so there should be local reviews in the local car magazines soon.

I think they are very competitively priced personally. I've not yet driven one so can't compare against our 307.

1000+ Posts

Best to buy the scenic NOW as the pricing can't be beaten as they clear the decks for the new scenic's launch. (Advice from my daughter who is selling them here in Melbourne)

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Lapsiek
    Looked at the Megane, but the Scenic seemed to outshine it.. The clever internal layout was a compelling factor..

Havnt seen GOlf, but I thought they would have been out of proce bracket
    prices appear to be in line with 307, so if u can afford 307, you can afford golf. both of these have great resale.

scenic and megane, less so, unfortunately. scenic is a very cleverly designed car. let us know how you go.

XTC

Anyone tested the head room in the new Golf ? .. one thing that did impress me was the feeling of SPACE in the 307 .. and much like the 206 it feels bigger inside then it ought to.

- XTC -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    prices appear to be in line with 307, so if u can afford 307, you can afford golf. both of these have great resale.
    307: $25,990 1.6 Manual
    New Golf: $25,590 1.6 Manual

The Golf certainly makes its weakest case with its ancient 1.6 though. But the Megane and 307 are probably its most interesting competitors.

Would you consider a desiel Lapsiek?

It must be noted, that the Megane's sales figures are truly pathetic. I don't understand why, but I think its an awesome car anyway! That said, there need not necessairly be any correlation between new car sales and used values.

if you end up buying a renault, be sure to see Tim Joseph A renault Windsor, say that Julian reccomended you, he will look after you.

the sceneis are dirt cheap at the moment, i think $19,000 + onroads. i like the funky harlequin colour they come in too.

Thread Information