What roads are Frenchies designed for?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

Default What roads are Frenchies designed for?

While I was driving around the outer suburbs the otehr night I got to thinking; what sort of roads conditions are French cars happiest in or are designed for?

I have driven alot through France and found the countryside to be very similar to here as far as road conditions and temperatures go. Quite different to say England where there is a traffic jam every 100m. which I would imagine only those freaky 3 wheeler cars possibly like, and maybe Jags (as they don't have to move, or in the Jag's case, broken down anyway).

Advertisement

Anyway, thought it would be nice to hear other's views.
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

Personal feelings, maybe... but I think roads that invite 130-150kmh cruising, with the odd corner requiring a drop to 70 or 80.

So we're talking about roads that aren't straight, but which are good and fast. Surfaces may well be irregular, which is where Froggies have a real advantage...

nJm

Yup, I agree with Ray. Fast, flowing roads with questionable surface quality. Mind you, that's me thinking of my car, and other large frogs. Having driven a few 206's I know they certainly don't have the ride compliancy or suspension travel the larger (and older) cars have. They are suited to busy Parisian streets.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Similar to Australia's. Variable conditions. Can be tight and twisty at times in the country.

I don't think England is a complete log jam either, though. There are plenty of tight and twisty B roads, with variable conditions. Don't think they're that dissimilar to France, actually, which is why the Brits love good handling cars... generally speaking

Roads with undulating surfaces and long sweeping bends bring out the best in my Xsara.
    01 Xsara VTS

I reckon that anything that is fairly fast & flowing with a few hairpins thrown in for good measure is a perfect road for a froggie - Particularly if it has lots of camber changes. Surface doesnt really matter as they will handle anything you throw at them really.

My personal favourite bit of road for my froggy is the road from Lobethal to Norton Summit (known as basket range road) in the Adelaide hills - It's got a bit of everything and is truly great to drive!
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

XTC

As someones ID says ... mmmm ... corners (Tristan?)

- XTC -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

At Taylors somewhere they have/had a poster/promotional thing that has the slogan "when they stop making corners, we'll stop making Peugeots" Kinda sums it up to me.
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!

Originally posted by gti138
    I reckon that anything that is fairly fast & flowing with a few hairpins thrown in for good measure is a perfect road for a froggie...
    Well, not too many hairpins... that's why I prefer...

.....My personal favourite bit of road for my froggy is the road from Lobethal to Norton Summit (known as basket range road) in the Adelaide hills.....
    ...back the other way:

http://forums.atlasf1.com/showthread...threadid=14846

what do you guys think the best piece of rd in NSW for a frog?

last night I got the lost on the way to dark forest, and i ended up goin to all the way to picton - I must say the drive there was awesome there was this piece of road on a hill full of bends turns even a couple of hairpins, then we hit some straights some not so straigth rds.. not a single car in site - awesome drive, the pug felt great takin the corners - just liek it was on rails beaut car, havent owned it for really long last night was the first night i really got to drive it

there was also an usual large amount of cops out lastnight every corner i saw a cop or flashing sirens with a car pulled over infront of it, anyone else notice this?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    Well, not too many hairpins... that's why I prefer...

...back the other way:

http://forums.atlasf1.com/showthread...threadid=14846
    Wow great thread there Ray! Makes me want to go for a drive up there now just to do the full lap of that circuit!

And I want to sit down and talk to the man who won again...

He's 88 now, had a bad dose of the 'flu for some time which caused him to cancel a trip to Sydney for a wedding this weekend.

The greatest circuit ever in Australia, at least ten times as good as Bathurst!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    And I want to sit down and talk to the man who won again...

He's 88 now, had a bad dose of the 'flu for some time which caused him to cancel a trip to Sydney for a wedding this weekend.

The greatest circuit ever in Australia, at least ten times as good as Bathurst!
    Any chance of getting a more detailed map of the course than what's in the thread - I'll have a go at tracing it out on a map so I can work out where it goes properly. Sounds like this could be a good run to go on - with the added bonus of a stop for lunch at the Lobethal pub on the way around!

Twice today, on separate pieces of road, I found myself pulling 100 ... on dirt. Once at the eastern end of the Grand Ridge Road, an irresistible detour to let me take the (bitumen) run down the Tarra Valley to Yarram -- all hairpins and sudden drops -- and the second time on a little tertiary road south of Fish Creek near Wilson's Promontory at about 6pm tonight. I'm still buzzing from it ...

Haven't quite figured it out yet, but there only seems to be two ways to do dirt in the 206 -- pulling (anywhere from a little to a lot) all the way, or having the confidence to be able to lean on the steering when you back off and inertia takes over, for example, in a straight line downhill (that you want to keep straight). Seems to be quite different from RWD, where a judicious bit of braking, or even backing off, should pull the nose back into line ...
    MY15 208GTi

previously:
    MY10 Sportium HDi6 and 1.6L auto
    MY99 206GTi
    MY96 306XSi auto
    MY02 Clio 1.4L auto

1ére grenouille:
    MY5? Simca Aronde 90A

QUICK! MORE BREAD, MORE CIRCUSES!!

Quote Originally Posted by choiboi

last night I got the lost on the way to dark forest, and i ended up goin to all the way to picton - I must say the drive there was awesome there was this piece of road on a hill full of bends turns even a couple of hairpins, then we hit some straights some not so straigth rds.. not a single car in site - awesome drive, the pug felt great takin the corners - just liek it was on rails beaut car, havent owned it for really long last night was the first night i really got to drive it

there was also an usual large amount of cops out lastnight every corner i saw a cop or flashing sirens with a car pulled over infront of it, anyone else notice this?
    Sounds like the Putty Rd to me. Great road.

I've gone over 200kph with the Focus...being a very "French" type handling car, makes sense you can cruise at those speeds!
    Last edited by GTI124; 15th September 2004 at 01:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by choiboi
    I'm no native, but I'd say (i) anywhere to the immediate north or northwest of Sydney (ii) Waterfall Way up to Dorrigo behind Coffs Harbour and (iii) the Pacific Highway just before it crosses into Qld.

And talking coppers ... seems you need to get out of town, or move to Vic. I actually find it a bit disturbing that I was able to do almost 600kms yesterday, and only saw one police car in all that time, and that was within about 20km of home.

[I guess that's not to say that I wasn't seen by more than one of them, but I don't think so ...]
    MY15 208GTi

previously:
    MY10 Sportium HDi6 and 1.6L auto
    MY99 206GTi
    MY96 306XSi auto
    MY02 Clio 1.4L auto

1ére grenouille:
    MY5? Simca Aronde 90A

QUICK! MORE BREAD, MORE CIRCUSES!!

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    Sounds like the Putty Rd to me. Great road.

I've gone over 100kph with the Focus...being a very "French" type handling car, makes sense you can cruise at those speeds!

AWESOME count me in on a drive day to putty rd

Originally posted by gti138
    Any chance of getting a more detailed map of the course than what's in the thread - I'll have a go at tracing it out on a map so I can work out where it goes properly. Sounds like this could be a good run to go on - with the added bonus of a stop for lunch at the Lobethal pub on the way around!
    I think the map's pretty easy... it's simply the two roads into Lobethal from the main through road. 8.65 miles. A lot of built up area these days, not promising from a 'run' point of view. But a brilliant circuit it used to be and remembering its heyday is well worthwhile.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by gti138
    I am one SA dude who is quite interested in "re-tracing" (ahem : re-racing) this famous circuit. Although if it is anything like last time (where i ended up in Magill instead of Hahndorf ???? WTF) i'll need a VERY detailed map.

If you go up through Woodside, passing (of course) along the main straight of that circuit, you soon afterwards pass a turnoff to Lobethal. You continue through Charleston and about 4kms later you come to the Mt Torrens junction, which is where another road comes out from Lobethal.

Chuck a U-turn there and you are sitting on the grid ready to go. Head back through Charleston to that first turn you saw to Lobethal, turn right, drive over the hill into Lobethal and then turn right into the main street. Follow your nose straight back to the Mt Torrens junction.

Along the way, note the number of times you come to a crest followed by a corner...

the roads around picton and the puty road are great drives, on trips to Sydney we have purposely taken the detour to drive the putty road. As for what roads suit frogs, well anything from a gravel road with a decent amount of sharp corners where you can still keep a fairly good speed, to sealed bitumen roads with similar road conditions. A frog will handle just about any road conditions without any trouble. As for what’s a good drive in Queensland, well there’s plenty around the hinterlands and noosa, from trips up the old Bruce highway to trips up the Montville range which are also fun, as so is running the noosa hill climb track or just for the fun of it taking a trip out into the forestry and going for a run on the rally tracks

Quote Originally Posted by XsaraVTS
    I am one SA dude who is quite interested in "re-tracing" (ahem : re-racing) this famous circuit. Although if it is anything like last time (where i ended up in Magill instead of Hahndorf ???? WTF) i'll need a VERY detailed map.
    Sounds like you'd like to get a group together to have a bit of a look at this circuit q? I know i'd be in!

Well, build up to it... and make a real day of it...

Start with he Nuriootpa circuit, then rip on down to the Port Elliot-Victor Harbor circuit, then back to Woodside, finish your day with wondrous laps of Lobethal, the climax of it all...

Just went on another cruise tonight, this time I was on a rexy cruise only pug there, there was also an integra type r current shape and about 15 rexys, went upto palm beach and cruised up this hilly rds around avalon - anyone been there? awesome !! im loving this pug more and more had a few rexys behind me that actually dropped off around the turns even had a few owners complementing the pugs handling, first thing they said when we stopped "what did you do to that peugeot?" haha "nothin' mate it's stock" - what really impressed me was the integra i was behind him that thing can fly thru corners i was taking corners uphill and the pug was sliding offline abit the integra was on rails this is the current model (the old ones are ment to be better right?), *respects the integra type r's* - great drive up there the rds took us to somewhere near pymble I think..

Frenchies we definately designed for those types of rds found the pug to be quite punchy uphill too (with 4 people on board and alot of ICE gear), very impressive heh
    Last edited by choiboi; 19th September 2004 at 04:30 AM.

Ray,

Went for a drive today took a lap around the Lobethal circuit - WOW - Truly amazing circuit that. I can see that I'll have to get a video camera and strap it into the car and capture a lap of this awesome track. Might have to take you up on that day of crusing around the circuits through the Adelaide hills - do you have maps of these?

I've attached a map of the Lobethal circuit from the Adeladie Street Directory for anyone who's interested.

Michael
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What roads are Frenchies designed for?-lobethal.jpg  
    Last edited by gti138; 19th September 2004 at 11:50 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information