advanced driving
  • Register
  • Help

Icon5 advanced driving

what's up? i'm just wondering if any of you guys know how i can get a racing licence in Melbourne? how many licences do i have to get before that? and how can i get them? and what is the approximate price? cheers

Advertisement

It all depends on what sort of racing license you are after. For doing things like hillclimbs etc you just pay your $$ and your pretty much off and running. For a full circuit license your best bet is to go through an accredited driving school like Ian Luff, Peter Finlay or John Bowe's and they can put you through an OLT - Observed License Test. You might want to do some of their high performance driving courses first to get you up to speed (so to speak).

However the best way is to join a car club that's associated with motorsport or is CAMS affiliated and they can give you all of the help & info that you need.

Hope this helps!
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Quote Originally Posted by wtpug306
    what's up? i'm just wondering if any of you guys know how i can get a racing licence in Melbourne? how many licences do i have to get before that? and how can i get them? and what is the approximate price? cheers
    Further to what gti138 said:

The CAMS website is also pretty good for "how do I" stuff for potential competitors. www.cams.com.au

For $44 you can get a L2NS that will let you do motorkhanas and some kinds of road events like Touring Assemblies and some Touring Road Events.

$83 will get you a L2S which will let you do everything a L2NS does but also do hillclimbs, regularities, khanacross etc.

The next step requires an OLT and is considerably more expensive - think hundreds of dollars.
    Last edited by Vegas; 6th September 2004 at 01:14 PM.
    '94 405 Mi16

A L2S licence also lets you compete in car club super sprints (club days) at race circuits which are good fun. You do have to be a member of a CAMS affiliated car club before they will give you a licence.

thanks for the info guys, i had a look at John Bowe place it sounds pretty cool. Well, actually i just want to improve my driving techniques, and not thinking that much on actually start a racing career for the moment..when i get a bit more saving maybe but you know motor sport cost money..

Quote Originally Posted by gti138
    It all depends on what sort of racing license you are after. For doing things like hillclimbs etc you just pay your $$ and your pretty much off and running. For a full circuit license your best bet is to go through an accredited driving school like Ian Luff, Peter Finlay or John Bowe's and they can put you through an OLT - Observed License Test. You might want to do some of their high performance driving courses first to get you up to speed (so to speak).

However the best way is to join a car club that's associated with motorsport or is CAMS affiliated and they can give you all of the help & info that you need.

Hope this helps!
    hi gti138 the only melbourne based school that you have mentioned seems to be John Bowe, is there other alternatives? ta

Thread Information